Prentice Gill drama

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Prentice Gill drama

Post by GoDucksTroll »

This has been making the rounds on Twitter, a direct message Prentice Gill sent to a fan. Looks legit, someone got a screenshot of Gill tweeting at this fan to check his DMs. If this is legit then a very poor career move by Gill telling this to some rando.

It’s not letting me embed the image so here is an Imgur link:
https://imgur.com/o8KQGXQ

And a tweet of it from an OSU fan:
https://twitter.com/bucktoothchains/sta ... 33728?s=21
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: Prentice Gill drama

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Curious to see if Cristobal, Heyward, and Williams responds. Gill seems immature.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

He really does. He's deleted a few tweets the past few weeks where he took some shots at Oregon.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Curious to see if Cristobal, Heyward, and Williams responds. Gill seems immature.
I’m guessing this was meant as a bit of a response. I was wondering why they randomly tweeted this until reading this.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I was wondering about that as well. I think Heyward is content for now coaching a conference and Rose Bowl champ while also having a couple future NFL guys under his watch. He'll get his DC opportunity soon if he wants.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Doubtless there is some kernel of truth to what Gill is saying, but also spin. I keep going back to the fact that the players chose Cristobal. If he was a horrible ogre, perhaps they would not have done this? Also interesting to note that Rod Chance came back to Oregon of his own free will. If Cristobal was so terrible, it seems like we wouldn't see many rehires.

In the end, there are always disgruntled employees in any profession who think they should have gotten the promotion that went to someone else. The question for the head coach is who ended up doing the best job at DC and other spots. It seems like we have the right guy at DC anyway.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Personally I think the whole situation is a bit funny. Cristobal does what every high level executive does. I’ve worked for a Fortune 500 and I didn’t love my divisional VP. Yet their stock price keeps going up. Win football games, and some unhappy coaches are a minor inconvenience.

But you know what you don’t do? When you’re a young coach getting his first position coaching job? Trash talk the guy who’s success landed you that job.

And Gill wanting a Rose Bowl ring? He left before the Rose Bowl and began poaching recruits. He wasn’t even a real coach, just an analyst. I think they should give everyone involved a ring, but not the guy who bailed before it’s earned and starts to sabotage. If he really wants one they sell replicas.

Such a dumb move by a young guy. Why you send that to a random person is just beyond me. Poor judgment, lack of professionalism.
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

I am on the fence as to whether this is real or not. Why would a D1 coach send a random twitter follower called OSUTroll a personal message? Why? This doesn't even get in to the content of the message. Would s coach of any level promise a coordinator role if they landed a single recruit? That just seems so unlikely. If it is true, he may be bent because he never advanced, but candidly, where did he think he would be promoted? He was an off-field analyst and all the on field roles were taken. Coach Bouknight wasn't leaving, so where was he promised? There are so many issues with this that I have to conclude 1) It's fake or 2) He was hammered and just needed to vent why he couldn't stay with a better team.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

Agree. There is a lot about this whole post that is very suspicious. I wonder if the College Football Quotes guy has anything to do with this. There's just too many inconsistencies here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

Meh, give it a week and nobody is going to remember this
wepto
Four Star Recruit

Post by wepto »

squintsdd wrote:Meh, give it a week and nobody is going to remember this
I would imagine Gill is going to keep reminding people--he is recruiting against the Ducks now. He can't come out and say 'yeah, Eugene is great, Tempe is a hole'. Same deal with Dante Williams and SC.

When Kirby Smart left Alabama he supposedly took a picture of their board and was telling/showing recruits that they weren't Alabama's #1 guy at their position.

Recruiting is dirty. It's not really news.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

A ScoopDuck member asked GIll and GIll sent him this DM. The SD member then posted the screenshot on the forum and I would guess that's where the Beavers got this.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Gill had no business dragging Heyward into this even if it was partially or wholly true. Dumbarse move on his part.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

Phenom wrote:A ScoopDuck member asked GIll and GIll sent him this DM. The SD member then posted the screenshot on the forum and I would guess that's where the Beavers got this.
this raises even more questions. Apparently professional ethics are not in play here. I was always told that when you leave a job whether by your choice of someone else's choice, you do it professionally. Whether you resign, got fired, laid off or whatever best to keep your thoughts private. It all comes full circle eventually and you never know when your path might cross again with that.person you slammed in a public manner. The coaching fraternity is a small one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Yeah, this was not smart on Gill's part, especially as a young coach.

BTW, JHop says that Gill did not get rings for the Pac-12 Championship or the Rose Bowl because he was already at ASU during both of those games.