Which NFL team will draft Justin Herbert?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

SuperDuck
Senior

Re: Which NFL team will draft Justin Herbert?

Post by SuperDuck »

karlhungis wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
I wonder if that is his fault or his father getting involved again?
It could be a bunch of nonsense, too. Few teams are saying who they really like at this point because if they make it known that they really want a player badly that will give any trading partners more leverage.

This time of year don't believe anything you hear/read and only half of what you see.
John 3:36
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

At this point, it's all gamesmanship on the part of NFL execs when reports come out who they do and don't like. Many times it's to get teams to waste resources on guys they think they can trade up for or to throw people off the scent of who they actually want.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

TBH I'm feeling this whole situation as Justin and Tua competing to see who gets to the Chargers and the loser goes to the Dolphins (but I know Tua will get ranked higher), I now definitely want to see Herbert going to the Chargers, tho I wonder if he could make Miami better if he gets drafted there.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

greenyellow wrote:At this point, it's all gamesmanship on the part of NFL execs when reports come out who they do and don't like. Many times it's to get teams to waste resources on guys they think they can trade up for or to throw people off the scent of who they actually want.
And right on cue, there's this:

https://www.oregonlive.com/collegefootb ... eport.html

According to one report, there are some members of the Bengals’ staff who are “true believers” in Herbert. The report speculates the Bengals would be willing to trade the No. 1 pick for a massive haul, move down a bit and select the former Oregon Ducks’ star quarterback.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

Merganzer wrote:
greenyellow wrote:At this point, it's all gamesmanship on the part of NFL execs when reports come out who they do and don't like. Many times it's to get teams to waste resources on guys they think they can trade up for or to throw people off the scent of who they actually want.

According to one report, there are some members of the Bengals’ staff who are “true believers” in Herbert. The report speculates the Bengals would be willing to trade the No. 1 pick for a massive haul, move down a bit and select the former Oregon Ducks’ star quarterback.
As much as I would like to see Justin Herbert as the No. 1 pick, I'm 100 percent sure it won't happen, considering Joe Burrow has remained there as projected by analysts and seeing Herbert on the Bengals would be something strange and would possibly be worse than seeing him on the Dolphins (Also I was surprised the "worst" NFL team, the Cleveland Browns, had a better record than the Dolphins, Chargers and Bengals, I hope Herbert makes either team better if he gets drafted by either Miami or Los Angeles)
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

I care less about how high Herbert is picked and more about the quality of the organization he joins. So many young quarterbacks with potential can't rise above the disfunction of the teams they land on.

The good news is I think the teams who need a quarterback have decent cultures. The Bengals don't, but the Colts and Chargers have had recent success and carry some roster talent. The HC of the Dolphins is well thought-of by people I find credible, and Fitzpatrick would be a good guy to learn from. If he lands on one of those three teams, I think he'll be well-positioned to succeed.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Tray Dub wrote:I care less about how high Herbert is picked and more about the quality of the organization he joins. So many young quarterbacks with potential can't rise above the disfunction of the teams they land on.

The good news is I think the teams who need a quarterback have decent cultures. The Bengals don't, but the Colts and Chargers have had recent success and carry some roster talent. The HC of the Dolphins is well thought-of by people I find credible, and Fitzpatrick would be a good guy to learn from. If he lands on one of those three teams, I think he'll be well-positioned to succeed.
This

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

DuckzRule wrote:
Merganzer wrote:

As much as I would like to see Justin Herbert as the No. 1 pick, I'm 100 percent sure it won't happen, considering Joe Burrow has remained there as projected by analysts and seeing Herbert on the Bengals would be something strange and would possibly be worse than seeing him on the Dolphins (Also I was surprised the "worst" NFL team, the Cleveland Browns, had a better record than the Dolphins, Chargers and Bengals, I hope Herbert makes either team better if he gets drafted by either Miami or Los Angeles)
I think the point isn't about Herbert being taken first, it's about the Bengals trading down, likely to #5, #6 or #9, taking Herbert there, and also loading up on a ton of draft picks for the next couple years.

Also, the Bengals staff coached Herbert at the Senior Bowl and have gotten to know him, see him in practice, see his work ethic, etc. That report might not be too far fetched.
John 3:36
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

It seems like analysts are coming to the conclusion that Herbert's issues at Oregon these last couple of seasons were not shortcomings of Herbert but more so shortcomings of Arroyo and the WR personnel (coaches and players). Cause if you just based it off of Herber's on-field play these last two seasons, he definitely did not look like one of the top QB's.