Danny Kanell on Herbert

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

RanDux
Senior

Danny Kanell on Herbert

Post by RanDux »

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/rank ... -his-list/

"When you look at him and you evaluate him, he played in an offense that was not suited to the NFL game, to evaluating film, there was a lot of bubble screens and a lot of one-read and get the ball out. It just was not a very complex offense that didn't really suit his skillset. I think when it's all said and done, if you give Herbert the right pieces and you give him the right coaching staff and you give him some weapons to work with, I think he could potentially have the best career of all of them. I think he's that talented."

Seems to also think that Herbert was under-utilized, and could really blossom in the right situation.
Last edited by RanDux on Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Danny Kanell on the Herbert

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Not to mention is WR and RB support was some of the least talented we've had at Oregon in a looooong time!

Really his OL was the only big support.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
wlduck
Sophomore

Re: Danny Kanell on Herbert

Post by wlduck »

RanDux wrote:https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/rank ... -his-list/

"When you look at him and you evaluate him, he played in an offense that was not suited to the NFL game, to evaluating film, there was a lot of bubble screens and a lot of one-read and get the ball out. It just was not a very complex offense that didn't really suit his skillset. I think when it's all said and done, if you give Herbert the right pieces and you give him the right coaching staff and you give him some weapons to work with, I think he could potentially have the best career of all of them. I think he's that talented."

Seems to also think that Herbert was under-utilized, and could really blossom in the right situation.
Quarterbacks are always a crap shoot in the NFL draft. Herbie is probably one of the biggest. I love the kid, but honestly have no feel if he is going to be a monumental bust or light up the league. Lets hope for the later.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

wlduck wrote:

Quarterbacks are always a crap shoot in the NFL draft. Herbie is probably one of the biggest. I love the kid, but honestly have no feel if he is going to be a monumental bust or light up the league. Lets hope for the later.
Same. He throws it 65 yards on a rope and you love him, and then he missed a wide open slant route and avoids check downs and then skips a ten yard out route and you want to pull your hair out.

I'm kinda hoping he sits somewhere for a year and isn't thrown in the fire.
ncduck
Senior

Post by ncduck »

lukeyrid13 wrote:
wlduck wrote:

Same. He throws it 65 yards on a rope and you love him, and then he missed a wide open slant route and avoids check downs and then skips a ten yard out route and you want to pull your hair out.

I'm kinda hoping he sits somewhere for a year and isn't thrown in the fire.
Some of issues people have with Herbert are related to receivers running the wrong patterns. On Monday, ESPNU had three straight Oregon games from last season and you could see him yell at receivers a few times after errant throws. On one play you could see him yell, 'Do your job' at Josh Delgado. The announcers blamed Herbert immediately, but if Oregon is using timing routes and the receivers aren't where and when they're supposed to be, it would affect his completion percentage by a few points and explain away at least some of the poor looking throws.

I know not all of the bad throws are the fault of others, there was a really forced throw early at the combine on a shorter route, and it took away from his accuracy.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

Put him in Alabama or LSU's offense and surrounding cast and he'd definitely look like a #1 pick.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

alxtw wrote:Put him in Alabama or LSU's offense and surrounding cast and he'd definitely look like a #1 pick.
Hey, no sales pitches for other schools on this forum.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

alxtw wrote:Put him in Alabama or LSU's offense and surrounding cast and he'd definitely look like a #1 pick.

Put him on the 2010 team, and he would look like the #1 pick.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

^ or 2012-2014

DAT
Barner
Tyner
Freeman
Huff
Addison
Allen
Carriington
Stanford
Pharaoh
Mundt
Baylis
Marshall
Etc

Probably missing others as that was just off top of my head. The disparity in skill position talent is still quite large.