My predictions for the 2020 season (if it happens)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

My predictions for the 2020 season (if it happens)

Post by DuckzRule »

I have wanted to make this prediction attempt for a few days, so here I go...

As we know, Oregon will possibly have the first Game of the Century of the decade against Ohio State and will look foward for revenge due to the natty loss as well as other 8 ocassions, so it will be an important game that could decide the playoffs early on, however, they will also have a test against North Dakota State, the "Alabama" of the FCS, which could put the Ducks in danger considering they will play two insanely good teams.

I have Oregon losing to either Arizona or Washington State due to their tendencies of screwing a game every single season (excluding the 2010 regular season), I project Oregon going to the P12 Championship Game against either USC or Arizona State, and Oregon will win, and will get to a New Year's Six bowl, most likely the Fiesta Bowl (tho imagine them in the Orange Bowl), or if they beat NDSU and tOSU, the Rose Bowl semifinal (I don't see Oregon getting as the #4 or #1 seed in the Sugar Bowl).

So basically:

Worst possible record in my opinion: 10-4 (loses to NDSU, tOSU, a random Pac-12 team and the bowl game)

Best possible record imo: 14-1 (Wins against every opponent except for the team they will screw over, and for the first time ever, they win the natty, tho this one is highly unprobable)

All predictions I have seen have Oregon playing in the Fiesta Bowl against LSU or Penn State (for the love of God the LSU fans need to stop being so rude), but if they get to the semifinals I dunno which team they will face.

So what do you think of this?
Merganzer
Senior

Re: My predictions for the 2020 season (if it happens)

Post by Merganzer »

More and more, added a lot by the game topic, I just don't see the Ducks losing to the Bison. Ohio State? Objectively, it's an L.
Hawaii: W
Colorado: W
Washington W, 3 in a row, the UW fans, & Softy are gonna start panicking.
@ Cal: L. Not for sure, but on the road, the Bears will be tough.
Stanford: W. I thin the magic might be coming off of Shaw a bit.
@ Arizona. W. Arizona is always a tough one on the road. But too much talent on the Ducks.
USC:L The big 50/50 game.
ASU: W. Revenge for last season.
WSU: No Leach. Ducks keep it going.
@ OSU:W. The Beavs have it going. Smith is the right guy, But the Ducks are still better.
So, maybe a couple of conference L's. But even with them I still see Oregon winning the North and then beating the South in the Championship, So a Fiesta Bowl is a possibility.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

So do your predictions change depending on whether someone beats out Anthony Brown for Quarterback or not?

For me Brown is a known floor. If he is the QB I suspect we are going to have a Moorehead - Mississipi State ok but nothing special offense. If one of the youngsters is talented enough to beat him out the offense might be slightly to a whole lot better.

In predicting the season I am wondering who you have plugged in at QB or do you feel QB doesn't matter or even the offense doesn't matter?
RebelDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by RebelDuck »

NDSU - W
Ohio St - L (hope not)
Hawaii - W
@Colorado - W
Washington - W
@Cal - W/L (Oregon will lose to either Cal or Zona but not both)
Stanford - W (I think Stanford is on the decline)
@Arizona - W/L (See Cal)
USC - W (If the game was at USC then it would be a loss)
ASU - W (Payback time)
@Washinton St - W (Leach is gone but will be close)
@Oregon St - W

Oregon wins conference championship game but won’t predict who’ll they play.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

GrandpaDuck wrote:So do your predictions change depending on whether someone beats out Anthony Brown for Quarterback or not?

For me Brown is a known floor. If he is the QB I suspect we are going to have a Moorehead - Mississipi State ok but nothing special offense. If one of the youngsters is talented enough to beat him out the offense might be slightly to a whole lot better.

In predicting the season I am wondering who you have plugged in at QB or do you feel QB doesn't matter or even the offense doesn't matter?
Given the shortened window of prep time we're looking at. Brown probably is the starter. But whoever the QB is, the O-line will ultimately determine how the offense goes. I also think that the defense is a "known floor" with a high ceiling.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

The question is...Will Oregon face USC or ASU in Las Vegas?

I saw a prediction by FishDuck saying Arizona State vs Oregon has high chances of happening but other projections say USC will finish atop of the South Division, either way the Pac 12 championship game will be a rematch of a regular season game considering Utah will be worse this season and UCLA is still awful.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

There's another prediction by Sporting News saying Oregon will play in the Fiesta Bowl (again), but they said the matchup will be Oregon vs Georgia, which could be very interesting, and a very early preview of the 2022 Chick Fil A Kickoff.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

RebelDuck wrote:NDSU - W
Ohio St - L (hope not)
Hawaii - W
@Colorado - W
Washington - W
@Cal - W/L (Oregon will lose to either Cal or Zona but not both)
Stanford - W (I think Stanford is on the decline)
@Arizona - W/L (See Cal)
USC - W (If the game was at USC then it would be a loss)
ASU - W (Payback time)
@Washinton St - W (Leach is gone but will be close)
@Oregon St - W

Oregon wins conference championship game but won’t predict who’ll they play.
This. I could also see Wazzu giving us problems too.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

If I had to bet money, it would be hard to bet against Ohio State... but man, I just feel like we're going to win that game.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

I have seen another bowl prediction by Saturday Blitz, which breaks the streak of Oregon going to the Fiesta Bowl, they predict we may face none other than Oklahoma in the Peach Bowl, which could be a very interesting and really show who's more playoff worthy for the next season (I believe Oregon would make better in the playoffs than OU)
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

pezsez1 wrote:If I had to bet money, it would be hard to bet against Ohio State... but man, I just feel like we're going to win that game.
I'd bet more money on us beating Ohio State, than going undefeated on the road.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

It's going to be such a weird season to predict this year. I think we could give Ohio State a run for their money if we had full spring and a full Autzen.

As is, I think NDSU is going to give is trouble, because we have a new QB and a new offensive line and will have very little practice reps(less than them based on closures). They have an experienced QB/OL and we're going to be their freakin' Super Bowl the week before Ohio State comes to town.

More experienced teams are going to have a bigger advantage than usual, I feel.

I think our defense could be pretty special though in the next 2 seasons, so we should win a lot of ball games.
wepto
Four Star Recruit

Post by wepto »

GrantDuck wrote:It's going to be such a weird season to predict this year. I think we could give Ohio State a run for their money if we had full spring and a full Autzen.

As is, I think NDSU is going to give is trouble, because we have a new QB and a new offensive line and will have very little practice reps(less than them based on closures). They have an experienced QB/OL and we're going to be their freakin' Super Bowl the week before Ohio State comes to town.

More experienced teams are going to have a bigger advantage than usual, I feel.

I think our defense could be pretty special though in the next 2 seasons, so we should win a lot of ball games.
Yeah, with the combination of a new QB, a number of new OL, a new OC and limited practice time we could see some early season struggles with the team gelling later in the season. Especially with a new QB, if the eventual starter is good enough to get Heisman hype, I could see them running the table. But we could also see the opposite, struggle to pass, and go 8-4.

Without spring ball, everything is a lot murkier. I feel a lot more confident about the conference schedule.

UW is very questionable at QB. They could lose a lot of games if they struggle to pass. I really wanted to watch their spring 'game'. Sirmon might turn out to be good, but he was behind Haener in 2019 until Haener transferred.

WSU is switching systems in a shortened off-season. Another team with a new QB. Potential disaster. Arconado is gone, who is their goto WR?

Oregon State doesn't have a QB either. But the program is on an upward trajectory since Smith took over. Outside shot of making a bowl.

Cal brings back a ton of guys on offense--but they didn't exactly light things up last year. Garbers is injury prone and they don't have a back up. They need to replace a lot of guys on the D though. ~8 wins.

Stanford lost a ton of guys to the portal. Mills is the best returning QB in the North. But like the situation at Cal, he is injury prone and the backup is bad. Their OL will likely get worse and they were bad last year. Stanford is slow all over the field and looked like the G5 team when they played UCF last year.

Unless UW has been hiding a really solid QB way down on their depth chart, the Ducks win the North. USC probably wins the south. ASU lost a lot of dudes. Not sure they have a replacement for Aiyuk or Benjamin. By the time the conference championship game rolls around, I expect the Ducks will be playing very well.

But the early season... NDSU has a top QB and more time to prepare. Circumstances are as much in their favor as they could reasonably be expected to be. Still think it's Ducks by 10-20. But I really don't think it was wise to schedule this game.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Ohio State is the one I'm not real confident in. I'd give us a better shot, if Autzen had 60k screaming fans, but I think we will be lucky to have 25k fans. And they have Fields, while we are breaking in a new QB. I think it will end up being a 31-21 L. Hope I'm wrong though

Not to worried about NDSU. As long as we can start practicing soon. If Gov Brown holds them up, things could get dicey I suppose. But I see our D just feasting on them.all day. 35-10 type of win

Cal- Overrated

UW- they lose all their best players from O, and didn't really replace them with anyone great. That will be the 15th win in 17 games vs them.

SC- They have the talent to beat UO, but coaching is a question mark

Stanford- things are circling the drain there for Shaw.

Arizona- the desert has been tough, but I think we get it done.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

247Sports changed their bowl projections, they now have Oregon facing the UCF Knights instead of the LSU Tigers, albeit they are still predicted to go to the Fiesta Bowl