duck023
Four Star Recruit

Re: 21

Post by duck023 »

duck023 wrote:
GoDucksTroll wrote:
duck023 wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
duck023 wrote:Now back to the topic at hand. Although Cardwell doesn't really remind me of the GOAT 21 he does remind me of the other greatest 21 which is Royce Freeman. Royce was kind of an unknown that dominated the San Diego area and that is sort of what Cardwell has done. In fact Cardwell was the higher rated recruit but if you looked at Royce's stats and not his stars you knew he was going to do some big things even if Tyner was the one getting most of the attention at that time. Royce's stats being almost as good as Tyner's but playing in the San Diego area was a hint that Royce was going to be great.
Royce Freeman was a fringe 5-star and #34 overall in his recruiting class. He broke just about every rushing record there was in his area as a 4-year starter and was considered by many to be the best SD-area RB prospect since Reggie Bush.
From what I remember he was a 3 star but he might have been a 4 star. I know he wasn't a 5 star because Tyner was the 5 star that year.
Your memory might need a tune-up. As Stu said Royce was the #34 overall recruit in the country and 247 had him as a five star, #15 overall and the top recruit in California: https://247sports.com/Player/Royce-Free ... ool-32677/

Royce absolutely dominated high school football and was considered as can’t miss of a RB recruit as there could possibly be. He scored 3 TDs in the US Army All America game lol, I think people knew who he was despite him coming from the armpit’s butthole that is Imperial, CA.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

karlhungis wrote:I don't remember Tyner over shadowing anyone during his time here.
I just remember the fans were really hyped about him and he was pretty solid his first year. Freeman did take over the next year though halfway through the season.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

karlhungis wrote:I don't remember Tyner over shadowing anyone during his time here.
Tyler had 2 good games at UO. He definitely didn’t overshadow anyone.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

You guy's say that in hindsight but I remember I was one of the few that thought Royce was going to see the field. Tyner was definitely seen as the next guy and I'll admit he was good but once Royce started getting carries people did seem shocked by how good he was and Tyner started getting less carries.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

duck023 wrote:You guy's say that in hindsight but I remember I was one of the few that thought Royce was going to see the field. Tyner was definitely seen as the next guy and I'll admit he was good but once Royce started getting carries people did seem shocked by how good he was and Tyner started getting less carries.

You were one of the few who saw a Army AA and fringe 5*, as seeing the field? Maybe I’m misremembering but I think most people had high expectations for Royce.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Yeah Royce should have been MVP of the AA game but they pre determined Joe Mixon would win it. He was as good of a recruit as Fournette was that year to almost all Ducks fans.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

buckmarkduck wrote:
duck023 wrote:You guy's say that in hindsight but I remember I was one of the few that thought Royce was going to see the field. Tyner was definitely seen as the next guy and I'll admit he was good but once Royce started getting carries people did seem shocked by how good he was and Tyner started getting less carries.

You were one of the few who saw a Army AA and fringe 5*, as seeing the field? Maybe I’m misremembering but I think most people had high expectations for Royce.
I didn't know about that game. Maybe people were higher on him then I remember. I just don't remember people mentioning him much but when I saw his high school stats they were incredible.
whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

That Tyner spin move against Stanford, tho……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk