Oregon starts off at #4 in CFP Poll

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Oregon starts off at #4 in CFP Poll

Post by UOducksTK1 »

So crazy to see an undefeated Oklahoma so low. I don't disagree with it, but just something I'm not used to seeing. However, if they win out their schedule, you have to think they'd be in the top 4.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

StevensTechU wrote:Week 2 poll:

1. Georgia
2. Alabama
3. Oregon
4. Ohio State
5. Cincinnati
6. Michigan
7. Michigan State
8. Chokelahoma
24. Utah

Alabama, which nearly lost to a bad and depleted LSU this weekend, and who is 1-1 against the Top 25, is horribly overrated based on what they've done. Cincy should be #2. Michigan being ahead of Michigan State a week after they played and lost to MSU is a head-scratcher. Ducks truly control their own destiny at this point.

How would folks feel about playing Alabama in the semifinals?
I'd enjoy seeing Bama in the semis. This team is who they are so if we can reach the Semi's and get matched up with them I'm down because its overdue and I think our defense could keep it honest.
duck55
Senior

Post by duck55 »

Duck07 wrote:

1. Georgia
2. Alabama
3. Oregon
4. Ohio State
5. Cincinnati
6. Michigan
7. Michigan State
8. Chokelahoma
24. Utah

Alabama, which nearly lost to a bad and depleted LSU this weekend, and who is 1-1 against the Top 25, is horribly overrated based on what they've done. Cincy should be #2. Michigan being ahead of Michigan State a week after they played and lost to MSU is a head-scratcher. Ducks truly control their own destiny at this point.

I'd enjoy seeing Bama in the semis. This team is who they are so if we can reach the Semi's and get matched up with them I'm down because its overdue and I think our defense could keep it honest.
But would the team wearing stripes keep it honest?
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

Duck07 wrote:

1. Georgia
2. Alabama
3. Oregon
4. Ohio State
5. Cincinnati
6. Michigan
7. Michigan State
8. Chokelahoma
24. Utah

Yeah, Alabama and Oregon seem similar this year, both have been struggling a bit and lost to an unranked opponent (Texas A&M and Stanford), but in terms of P5 non-conference opponent wins, Oregon's win against Ohio State is better than Alabama's win against Miami since Ohio State would destroy the Canes.

But tbh if both teams qualify for the CFP, the only way I can see them meeting is in the national championship after they (hopefully) win the Cotton Bowl and Orange Bowl, if Alabama defeats Georgia then I doubt Oregon will get paired with Bama since they will get a higher ranking and Oregon will either be the Number 2 or 3 seed if we go undefeated the rest of the season as of this point, if Georgia beats Alabama then the Crimson Tide will be eliminated.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Oklahoma about to go down!

Assuming we win out, an undefeated Oklahoma team was our biggest threat to getting in the playoff. Cincy won't pass us, or they'd have done so already.

My only question now is what happens if Ohio State loses a game. I'd think we'd want them to keep winning to preserve the quality of our head-to-head win.

That said, our playoff positioning keeps looking better. Gotta win today!
Willie Taggart is a dick.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

I think there are still a couple threats.

Biggest contenders: Georgia, Ohio State, Alabama, Oregon, Notre Dame, Cincinnati, Oklahoma

Who's in: SEC champ, Big 10 champ.... 2 spots left

If Alabama beats Georgia, do they both get spots? That could leave 1 spot left for Oregon, Notre Dame, Cincy, and Big 12 champ. Possibly even ACC champ. We're in a strong spot if we win out but threats remain out there - especially from the independents. Also for those criticizing some of the other teams for not looking impressive, there have been plenty of times when we've said the same about this Oregon team. We obviously have the best non-conference win but as others have said, the margin of victory is fairly weak.
73duck
Three Star Recruit

Post by 73duck »

You have to root for Ohio State, I think.

If Oklahoma State wins out, their win over a two-loss Oklahoma would be comparable to an Oregon win over a two-loss Ohio State, Oklahoma State would have a better SOS and a title in a tougher conference (Oregon would have a better OOC). If Oklahoma wins out, their best win would be Oklahoma State, so I think Oregon holds them off, but a two-loss Ohio State hurts Oregon there, too.

Oregon is probably ahead of Cincinnati now because of the Ohio State win; if Ohio State loses another game, does a win over a two-loss Ohio State continue to hold off Cincinnati?

I have Oregon's chances of winning out at about 20%. Utah is favored by 1.5, so figure Oregon at 45% to win that, 75% to beat Oregon State, and 60% to win the conference title game if they win those two (I think all three of those numbers are a bit high, if anything, for example ESPN has Oregon at 40% to beat Utah next week).

ESPN had Oregon's playoff chances at 4% last week, and I assume that the Oklahoma loss helps hugely there. A one-loss Georgia and a one-loss Big 10 team beat out Oregon (yes, I know Oregon has the head to head with Ohio State, but if it runs the table it will finish with wins over Purdue, Michigan State, Michigan, and Wisconsin). Alabama passes Oregon if it wins out, no question.

I could see a scenario where *both* Oklahoma State and Cincinnati pass a one-loss Oregon, but only if Ohio State loses another game.

So, in summary, on the off chance Oregon runs the table, it probably does not control its destiny. Lots of good things could happen: an Alabama loss (likely, it has to play Auburn on the road and Georgia), a Wisconsin win in the Big10 title game (very possible). As noted above, an Oklahoma win over Oklahoma State probably helps Oregon.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Cincy's SOS end of season is going to be drastically lower than ours and there is no way Ok St jumps us if we go 12-1.

It isn't just our win over Ohio State but Fresno State and what we'd do in winning the P12 title game to get to 12-1.

Cincy end of year is going to say "look, we beat Notre Dame and that's why we belong despite playing practically nobody else.

Our mission has always been to take care of our schedule and we're in.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

The committee also gives greater weight to quality non-conference games. We won't get jumped by Ok State. I do think we need tOSU to win though to be safe.
Last edited by pezsez1 on Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

I think you also want Alabama to drop another game. That would make things pretty safe *if* we win out (which I think we absolutely can). Famous last words right? lol

Then you'd have Georgia, Big 10 champ, Oregon, and Cincy
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I don't understand all the conversation I'm seeing about Ohio State jumping UofO this week. Because they beat 3-loss Purdue? Really?
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I don't understand all the conversation I'm seeing about Ohio State jumping UofO this week. Because they beat 3-loss Purdue? Really?
This is the same Ohio State team that struggled mightily against Nebraska one week ago!

Oregon, meanwhile, has dominated its past three games with a few lapses/officiating making scores a lot closer than they should have been.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

I wonder where we will be ranked in tomorrow's CFP rankings.

Hopefully we either stay number 3 or jump over Alabama because Wazzu is better than NMSU.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Oregon stays at #3 for another week. Utah moved to #23.

We're very far into the CFB season and I have no idea who is going to make the playoffs. Lots of intrigue still in the Big 10 and from the top two teams of the Southeastern Conference. Okie Lite might even be in play if things go their way.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

Still no changes, we are still at Number 3