Washington State @ #5 Oregon (Nov. 13, Sat 7:30 PM ESPN)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

rockthief
Senior

Re: Washington State @ #5 Oregon (Nov. 13, Sat 7:30 PM ESPN)

Post by rockthief »

woundedknees wrote:
rockthief wrote:Oregon 45
Wazzu 10
refs 14
FIFY
Thank you. We won despite playing against two opponents simultaneously.

Remenber Glasses? That was awhile ago and the officials are still crap. How do they not see what is there in front of them? I stopped shaking my head because it gave me a headache. Reprimand them and then be rid of them. How about hiring officials from other conferences? Fly them in and call the games properly.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

rockthief wrote:
woundedknees wrote:
rockthief wrote:Oregon 45
Wazzu 10
refs 14
FIFY
Thank you. We won despite playing against two opponents simultaneously.

Remenber Glasses? That was awhile ago and the officials are still crap. How do they not see what is there in front of them? I stopped shaking my head because it gave me a headache. Reprimand them and then be rid of them. How about hiring officials from other conferences? Fly them in and call the games properly.
As always, it’s not just bad calls here and there. They are directly influencing the scores of games. They added/removed 17 points last night with objectively wrong calls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
73duck
Three Star Recruit

Post by 73duck »

WSU has had trouble all year against running QBs. I think the QB run was part of the game plan. Moorehead saw a weakness, and WSU never really made an adjustment, but if they had, it would have just opened something else up. Made me think of the big game at Stanford years ago where Darron Thomas opened the game with a series of running plays. Lots of teams run their QBs if they are tough guys; think Masoli, Cam Newton, Cardale Jones. If you can unleash a Frankenstein monster at QB it causes all kinds of problems for the other team. A reasonable person could disagree, but I think that the coaching staff is very OK with AB as a running QB; he's over 500 yards now with 8 rushing TDs.
chapelhillduck
Senior

Washington State @ #5 Oregon (Nov. 13, Sat 7:30 PM ESPN)

Post by chapelhillduck »

AB is 6’3’’, 230ish, and quick….

Passing is a whole other discussion but that’s a hell of a guy to try and tackle

On the acrobatic TD last night, watch the guy just bounce off his leg

duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

chapelhillduck wrote:AB is 6’3’’, 230ish, and quick….

Passing is a whole other discussion but that’s a hell of a guy to try and tackle

I really like that aspect of Brown's game. He might actually be the best running quarterback Oregon's ever had. I remember earlier in the year I compared him the Darron Thomas however he has a lot more power and athleticism than Thomas. He isn't quite as consistent at throwing as Thomas was but he is sort of like Cam Newton where you can take a few bad throws if he can run like that.
OfaFeather
Two Star Recruit

Post by OfaFeather »

duck023 wrote:

I really like that aspect of Brown's game. He might actually be the best running quarterback Oregon's ever had. I remember earlier in the year I compared him the Darron Thomas however he has a lot more power and athleticism than Thomas. He isn't quite as consistent at throwing as Thomas was but he is sort of like Cam Newton where you can take a few bad throws if he can run like that.
I have to say that he would be third in my book, first would be Mariota, then Dixon…then Brown.
thatbpguy
Four Star Recruit

Post by thatbpguy »

pezsez1 wrote:Nice win!

Today was a great day for the Ducks. With Oklahoma out of the picture, we're in the playoff assuming we win out. We dominated WSU and established ourselves as an elite running team. We also kept ourselves alive in the North Division race... and without that, we have nothing.

The refs... good god! How did they decide that AB didn't break the plane? Lots of bizarre stuff in this game that could have affected the outcome.

Cardwell Jr. is legit. I'm buying Cardwell stock.

Excited for Utah. Highly confident that we'll win.

Was DJ James ok after getting hurt near the end?

Also, the Huskies blew a lead and lost. 8-)

Great day to be a Duck!
This.
thatbpguy
Four Star Recruit

Post by thatbpguy »

Speaking of the refs...

About 5 years ago the PAC12 refs were easily the worst in the nation. But I feel they have improved, overall. But last night was really bad. After each game, the coaches send in critiques (good & bad) and the league reviews and evaluates each ref after each game. Sometimes they get assigned for additional training and sometimes they actually get suspended. I think a few of those refs from last night will be dealt with. There's tough, close calls and then there's some of what we saw last night that were just plain terrible and was influencing the game.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

It was a nice play but the ball security looked pretty bad.
73duck
Three Star Recruit

Post by 73duck »

Dixon and Masoli each had one incredible skill.

Dixon, especially in 2007, could pick up a 3rd and 8 any time he wanted to just by running to the sideline.

Masoli inside the five yard line was automatic on the zone read, usually keeping it himself. TD every time with no screwing around.

Reggie Ogburn and Chris Miller ran it pretty well, too.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

duck023 wrote:

I really like that aspect of Brown's game. He might actually be the best running quarterback Oregon's ever had. I remember earlier in the year I compared him the Darron Thomas however he has a lot more power and athleticism than Thomas. He isn't quite as consistent at AB could pass as well as DT, this team would be, potentially, unbelievably successful.

As far as the refs go, Oregon is probably incredibly lucky to not have lost a couple more games due to arrogance, incompetence, and whatever else one might wish to add to the list.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

73duck wrote:Dixon and Masoli each had one incredible skill.

Dixon, especially in 2007, could pick up a 3rd and 8 any time he wanted to just by running to the sideline.

Masoli inside the five yard line was automatic on the zone read, usually keeping it himself. TD every time with no screwing around.

Reggie Ogburn and Chris Miller ran it pretty well, too.
Masoli was great some times but he tried a lot of goofy stuff too and Brown doesn't do the goofy stuff but they are very similar runners. Dixon was a great runner but it was mainly his speed similar to Mariota but they weren't really powerful like Brown is. I will say Dixon and Mariota are better throwers but Masoli's throwing wasn't that much better than Brown's.
whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

Just for fun, can I throw VA in there? He wasn’t the big-play runner the others were, but he avoided sacks and wiggled for a few more yards as well as anyone Ive ever seen. And when he’d side-step a would-be sack and connect downfield…. Magical.

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

GrantDuck wrote:
-Defense still has some inconsistency due to the backups. Jamal Hill got picked on today pretty hard as Bennett Williams was simply better. Hill is not bad, he's just not "twitchy" enough for many slot receivers.
I'm being nitpicky here, but Hill is the far better athlete of the two. Bigger, faster, stronger. Bennett led California in interceptions in high school but was under-recruited because of his lack of athleticism, so I wouldn't describe him as twitchy (but maybe we're just thinking different things when you say twitchy). What sets him apart are his instincts and football acumen.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Fair point, Stu. I think Hill is the better overall athlete as well, I just think he struggles a bit against quicker WR's and his instincts are not as sound as Bennett Williams'.

By "twitchy", I mean quick lateral movement or cuts, rather than top end speed...but maybe Williams' instincts make him look quicker than he is. He did an amazing job tackling Ohio State's athletes in space.