Washington State @ #5 Oregon (Nov. 13, Sat 7:30 PM ESPN)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: Washington State @ #5 Oregon (Nov. 13, Sat 7:30 PM ESPN)

Post by StevensTechU »

I like to say that Williams looks fast because he broke on the ball 2 steps before the next guy.

I'm a loser and jump in on this because I used to regularly converse with two guys inside the football recruiting ops team, and Williams was someone I wanted them to offer ("damn his 4.8 40!" i said; "he'll be good!" i promised). So I'm all too familiar with his shortcomings, haha. He's just a fantastic 'football player' and I'm glad we gave him another look after his time at Illinois and Juco.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

StevensTechU wrote:I like to say that Williams looks fast because he broke on the ball 2 steps before the next guy.

I'm a loser and jump in on this because I used to regularly converse with two guys inside the football recruiting ops team, and Williams was someone I wanted them to offer ("damn his 4.8 40!" i said; "he'll be good!" i promised). So I'm all too familiar with his shortcomings, haha. He's just a fantastic 'football player' and I'm glad we gave him another look after his time at Illinois and Juco.
Glad you are sharing your insights! Keep it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

StevensTechU wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:
-Defense still has some inconsistency due to the backups. Jamal Hill got picked on today pretty hard as Bennett Williams was simply better. Hill is not bad, he's just not "twitchy" enough for many slot receivers.
I'm being nitpicky here, but Hill is the far better athlete of the two. Bigger, faster, stronger. Bennett led California in interceptions in high school but was under-recruited because of his lack of athleticism, so I wouldn't describe him as twitchy (but maybe we're just thinking different things when you say twitchy). What sets him apart are his instincts and football acumen.
To me, Hill just looks stiff in coverage. Doesn't say anything about his athletic ability, but he's not as fluid as Williams IMO
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

GrantDuck wrote:Fair point, Stu. I think Hill is the better overall athlete as well, I just think he struggles a bit against quicker WR's and his instincts are not as sound as Bennett Williams'.

By "twitchy", I mean quick lateral movement or cuts, rather than top end speed...but maybe Williams' instincts make him look quicker than he is. He did an amazing job tackling Ohio State's athletes in space.
Lack of wasted movement in coverage is something that doesn't get talked about much in relation to a player's skillset. Guys with great athleticism can "make up ground" but if you are routinely making the right first step or pivoting your hips in the right direction in the Back 7 you're going to end up in great position most of the time to negate any differences in athleticism.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

mrpd21
Five Star Recruit

Post by mrpd21 »

mrpd21 wrote:Great win as we head into the stretch of the schedule that has concerned me the most all year. Having to likely beat Utah twice as well a scrappy Beaver team that's been enjoyable to watch this year, that's a tall order. I've been assuming we won't make the CFP because of these upcoming games so I would sure like to be wrong. If they play the rest of the year the way they did the 2nd half of this game it could be a ton of fun.
Bump. This game made me the most nervous. Lot of people thought we would own this game, Utah is NEVER a gimme. Never.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Yeah but I also think lots thought Utah would be a hard game. I predicted us to lose in the PAC-12 predictions.

The line was Utah by 3 points. So I don’t think this is surprising anyone, more of just how bad we’re playing. I thought we’d lose by a score or maybe two. Not by almost 30 points.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
duck023 wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:For 17 minutes, our offense can’t get the ball past the washington state 47 yard line.

And it’s happened in multiple games against subpar teams with meh defenses. Hopefully we squeak this one out but either way Utah will beat us if we disappear offensively like this.
Actually a slugging type team like Utah is actually Brown's cup of tea because that game will likely stay low scoring. It's when he is asked to put points on the board is when he struggles. Still how long can Oregon go on with a QB that can't throw the ball?
Yeah but their D at home is gonna give him troubles. If anyone can slow down our run game, it’s over.
While we’re bumping stuff. I’m not right often so gotta flex when I am. :lol:

mrpd21
Five Star Recruit

Post by mrpd21 »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
duck023 wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:For 17 minutes, our offense can’t get the ball past the washington state 47 yard line.

And it’s happened in multiple games against subpar teams with meh defenses. Hopefully we squeak this one out but either way Utah will beat us if we disappear offensively like this.
Actually a slugging type team like Utah is actually Brown's cup of tea because that game will likely stay low scoring. It's when he is asked to put points on the board is when he struggles. Still how long can Oregon go on with a QB that can't throw the ball?
Yeah but their D at home is gonna give him troubles. If anyone can slow down our run game, it’s over.
While we’re bumping stuff. I’m not right often so gotta flex when I am. :lol:
That's a SOLID bump my friend :lol:
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

:mrgreen: