Coaching Carousel

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

UofDuck
Senior

Re: Coaching Carousel

Post by UofDuck »

Doesnt Mario’s mom still live in Miami? I suspect he has other family there too. Could be a consideration for him.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

I think Matt Campbell is overrated.

Yes, Iowa State is a doormat before him for pretty much their entire history so if he can win there then imagine what he can do at a better program is not a formula for success. It’s what Nebraska tried with Mike Riley. Campbell has some big wins, but he’s also the guy who lost to Northern Iowa, got taken to 3OT by Northern Iowa and then needed a TD with 20 seconds to avoid a loss to Drake in the same season as that, and this year back to a close win over Northern Iowa. Did any of you think that Fiesta Bowl team beats a non Covid Ducks team or were impressed by them? He gets 1-2 FCS wins and Kansas as a handicap each season. Not a fan of that war of attrition type of football, very limited ceiling.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Question: if, for some reason, Mario is gone after this season then who would you want to replace him?

The media would immediately float Justin Wilcox, Joe Moorhead, Chip Kelly as the lazy choices due to connections.
wepto
Four Star Recruit

Post by wepto »

GoDucksTroll wrote:Question: if, for some reason, Mario is gone after this season then who would you want to replace him?

The media would immediately float Justin Wilcox, Joe Moorhead, Chip Kelly as the lazy choices due to connections.
Kiffen. He's winning at Ole Miss, is one of the better offensive head coaches and he recruits well and generates (mostly) positive PR.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I'd take Matt Campbell. Moorhead maybe as a backup plan.

Not a lot of coaching talent with west coast ties.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

MC's mom living in Miami would certainly be a consideration, but I'm sure a man of his resources is able to travel pretty easily when his busy schedule allows.

My older sister has a great job up in Alaska, and I see her more often than I see my cousin (who I've always been close with) who lives in Tigard. Distance isn't nearly as much of a factor when money isn't an issue.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

I just read a couple weeks ago that MC may be bringing his mother here... Hope that's accurate.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Kiffin is interested in Miami, if I’m them I jump all over that. Which kind of sucks that he’s telling people that, but cool that he isn’t lying to people face like “why wouldn’t I be the coach at UO?”
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Kiffin is interested in Miami, if I’m them I jump all over that. Which kind of sucks that he’s telling people that, but cool that he isn’t lying to people face like “why wouldn’t I be the coach at UO?”
Cheering for Kiffin!
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

buckmarkduck wrote:Kiffin is interested in Miami, if I’m them I jump all over that. Which kind of sucks that he’s telling people that, but cool that he isn’t lying to people face like “why wouldn’t I be the coach at UO?”
Sources please. That would be a huge no-no on his part. Miami would not be an upgrade, based on where the teams sit now. For Kiffin, could it be the Co-ed’s are hotter in Miami that forces his hand?
HomeSickDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by HomeSickDuck »

Everythingsducky wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:Kiffin is interested in Miami, if I’m them I jump all over that. Which kind of sucks that he’s telling people that, but cool that he isn’t lying to people face like “why wouldn’t I be the coach at UO?”
Sources please. That would be a huge no-no on his part. Miami would not be an upgrade, based on where the teams sit now. For Kiffin, could it be the Co-ed’s are hotter in Miami that forces his hand?
I think it would be an upgrade in the sense he would be out of the SEC and in a weaker conference. Seems like he would have the draw to land higher rated recruits as well, which is kore difficult at Ole Miss.
stlDUCKfan
Pac-12 Prediction Winner!

Post by stlDUCKfan »

Everythingsducky wrote:
I don't even know if that would be the case. Southern Belles are hard to beat.
Oregon Ownage
All-American
GM: Dallas Mavericks

Post by Oregon Ownage »

stlDUCKfan wrote:
Everythingsducky wrote:
I don't even know if that would be the case. Southern Belles are hard to beat.
He hates living in Mississippi and loves South Florida. Still has a house in Boca and would prefer a move back
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Dan Mullen is out at Florida. I think there's a lot of meat left on that bone and it will be interesting to see where he ends up. Some will mention Cristobal as a candidate, but I'd also mention that if Moorhead moves on, Mullen could be our OC.

washington reportedly vetting 4 candidates currently: Justin Wilcox (Cal), Bryan Harsin (Auburn), Kalen Deboer (Fresno), Jeff Hafley (Boston College). Here's the article: https://footballscoop.com/news/washingt ... acc-hafley

In other conference news, Don Brown is leaving Arizona's DC position to become the new head man at UMass. Even though Arizona has a talentless roster, Brown made that squad respectable defensively and I would say this is a massive loss for UA's comeback hopes in the next couple years. He's an elite defensive coach.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

UofDuck wrote:Doesnt Mario’s mom still live in Miami? I suspect he has other family there too. Could be a consideration for him.
Yes, his Mom and brother live in Miami but I have heard neither of these would play a role in his leaving and most 'well-placed' sources DON'T see MC leaving Oregon now or in the near future (3-4 years). Well placed sources have said that the only place they could see MC leaving for is Alabama and that job ain't opening soon. One of the things those 'well-placed' sources have sited is what Mario saw happen with Willie Taggart. Mario followed that whole deal very closely. The sources have also said that Mario is keenly aware of the resources he has at UO and the opportunity that he has at UO to make a big mark.

Could all this change on a moment's notice, sure. ONe of the things people inside the AD have said is that they always knew Chip was going to make a play for the NFL. He did not hid his desire for something bigger. They don't see the same with MC.

Just sharing what I know.