Not sure what to expect from Hoops this season

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Not sure what to expect from Hoops this season

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Yeah definitely a point of concern with Lyle and Kasango not here yet. Would not be surprised if one or both of them didn't qualify.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I think having only 10 scholarship players was bad enough but it would be a really tough spot for Altman and Co. if they don't get at least one of those guys in, especially Kasongo. Seems any info around the program has dried up. No word on what they'll do to fill out the roster or even about another assistant coach in the middle of the basketball recruiting season.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

And now no Kasongo. Ugh.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Without Kasongo and likely Lyle, I don't see how this team is really competitive. Going to be a long year with likely only 8 scholarship players.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Yeah definitely not looking good. Starting to sound like the same situation DA was in when he first joined. Really thin roster.

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Yeah definitely not looking good. Starting to sound like the same situation DA was in when he first joined. Really thin roster.
This is going to likely be a throwaway year (feel sorry for Young for staying in the face of a bad situation) and we're going to have to hope Altman can get commits after a bad year. Main thing that'll help him is lots of playing time available but that only helps so much with top BB players. I think his one-year transfer use has finally caught up to him in not having enough players here long-term to build any type of solid foundation. To be 4 years in and only have 1 recruited player make it at least 3 years is not a good track record. Seems basketball recruiting is so messy with all the academic duds out there and with how many players transfer after only a year or two.

Also, I still can't get over the fact Altman has yet to add another assistant coach so far into the summer recruiting period. Feels like the program is in a state of paralysis and Altman is just hoping to tread water this season with so much chaos that happened this off-season.
DAT#6
Four Star Recruit

Post by DAT#6 »

FWIW I looked up Pac-12 acceptance rates and here they are per Wiki:

Colorado 88.0
ASU 87.9
Utah 82.6
Arizona 77.0
WSU 76.0
UO 74.2
OSU 67.7
UW 59.2
UCLA 18.2
CAL 18.0
USC 17.8
Stanford 5.1

Good luck Ray, getting into Cal-if that doesn't work out maybe you could try Stanford.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Armstead was asked to join the basketball team, but said no (via 247).

Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

I wonder if Altman himself is now wondering if this is all worth it for him, in his fifth year and still not able to count on an experienced returning roster.

Btw, looks like today's Doonesbury might be taking a shot at the UO basketball mess: www.gocomics.com/Doonesbury
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Greenblood wrote:I wonder if Altman himself is now wondering if this is all worth it for him, in his fifth year and still not able to count on an experienced returning roster.

Btw, looks like today's Doonesbury might be taking a shot at the UO basketball mess: http://www.gocomics.com/Doonesbury
I've started wondering the same about Altman. It seems strange he would have three staff vacancies this late in the summer. From The Oregonian...Currently the athletic department is advertising three open basketball positions: assistant director of basketball operations, assistant men's basketball coach, and assistant men's basketball conditioning coach.

As for Doonesbury strip I think it addresses college athletics across the country.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

That's a great strip from him and while everything in the UO case appears like the players weren't in the wrong, there have been far too many other cases where this strip sums it up properly.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

maxduck wrote:
Greenblood wrote:I wonder if Altman himself is now wondering if this is all worth it for him, in his fifth year and still not able to count on an experienced returning roster.

Btw, looks like today's Doonesbury might be taking a shot at the UO basketball mess: http://www.gocomics.com/Doonesbury
I've started wondering the same about Altman. It seems strange he would have three staff vacancies this late in the summer. From The Oregonian...Currently the athletic department is advertising three open basketball positions: assistant director of basketball operations, assistant men's basketball coach, and assistant men's basketball conditioning coach.

As for Doonesbury strip I think it addresses college athletics across the country.
I've found it strange also that he's yet to announce any hirings. The program seems to still be in a holding pattern even after several months have gone by since the sexual assault case. You have to wonder if the athletic department is making it tough on the program or its just Altman trying to figure out what's best.
rentdodger1
Three Star Recruit

Post by rentdodger1 »

greenyellow wrote:
maxduck wrote:

I've found it strange also that he's yet to announce any hirings. The program seems to still be in a holding pattern even after several months have gone by since the sexual assault case. You have to wonder if the athletic department is making it tough on the program or its just Altman trying to figure out what's best.
Might be more of a priority to get a couple of decent front line players to fill the roster. My understanding is that Altman is grinding hard to get some guys that can help. He has a solid core of players and 2 guys that can defend and rebound can make this a good to very good team.