Ray Kasongo denied admission

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

cordy02c
Senior

Re: Ray Kasongo denied admission

Post by cordy02c »

My question is shouldn't altman get some blame because we have quite a few big men not be able to get into school I know it's not all his fault but should't he now realize to stay from recruits with questionable grades.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

cordy02c wrote:My question is shouldn't altman get some blame because we have quite a few big men not be able to get into school I know it's not all his fault but should't he now realize to stay from recruits with questionable grades.
I'll can the snark for a few seconds when it comes to the basketball team. I think the thought process is that you have to take the risk on the skilled big men/bigs who have potential. They don't just grow on trees and sometimes you get burned, this is a perfect example. Even when they do qualify, they don't always pan out ie Michael Dunigan. I do agree though, the issues of basketball players qualifying is quickly becoming an issue. This team is going to have zero depth really anywhere. If Lyle gets in, there will be what, 9 scholarship players? Yikes.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

cordy02c wrote:My question is shouldn't altman get some blame because we have quite a few big men not be able to get into school I know it's not all his fault but should't he now realize to stay from recruits with questionable grades.
Matt Prehm says that while some fault does lie with Altman, some of it also lies with the UO admissions department for taking so long to determine Kasongo's eligibility. If they would have ruled sooner this month, he could have possibly still found some unsigned 2014 recruits who continue to play AAU ball throughout the summer. They likely would be borderline major conference players but at least they'd be another body Altman could use. As of now, there's only 8 players on the roster, which means they can't even hold a scrimmage until they get some walkons.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Duck24 wrote:
I'll can the snark for a few seconds when it comes to the basketball team. I think the thought process is that you have to take the risk on the skilled big men/bigs who have potential. They don't just grow on trees and sometimes you get burned, this is a perfect example. Even when they do qualify, they don't always pan out ie Michael Dunigan. I do agree though, the issues of basketball players qualifying is quickly becoming an issue. This team is going to have zero depth really anywhere. If Lyle gets in, there will be what, 9 scholarship players? Yikes.
Honestly though, Dunigan was starting to hit his stride at times his sophomore year. I think if he stayed here, he would have been solid. His per 40 stats were actually good, he just fouled too much and couldn't stay on the court long enough to do a damage. But man that game against wazzu...

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13