NCAA Tournament Thread

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

mattc94
Four Star Recruit

Re: NCAA Tournament Thread

Post by mattc94 »

greenyellow wrote:
mattc94 wrote: Ye ah. TJ McConnell is due his Oscar for "best cry following a major loss." Wiscy do the obligatory dance of victory. I hope AZ fans remember this one for a while and that it adds to their "we get no respect" complex. They're almost as bad as the Beavs.
For all their success and recruiting prowess the past 30 years, I'm shocked that Arizona still hasn't won more than 1 national title.
Same as us. But see, 'they were relevant before 2000,' so that makes them better than us. I swear. If the Ducks hadn't gotten to the Rose Bowl in '94, both state schools would be in the WAC. That's the truth!
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

mattc94 wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
mattc94 wrote: Ye ah. TJ McConnell is due his Oscar for "best cry following a major loss." Wiscy do the obligatory dance of victory. I hope AZ fans remember this one for a while and that it adds to their "we get no respect" complex. They're almost as bad as the Beavs.
For all their success and recruiting prowess the past 30 years, I'm shocked that Arizona still hasn't won more than 1 national title.
Same as us. But see, 'they were relevant before 2000,' so that makes them better than us. I swear. If the Ducks hadn't gotten to the Rose Bowl in '94, both state schools would be in the WAC. That's the truth!
:roll: :?:
mattc94
Four Star Recruit

Post by mattc94 »

Phenom wrote:
mattc94 wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
:roll: :?:
Sorry. Was quoting a redditor there. Got mad.
rentdodger1
Three Star Recruit

Post by rentdodger1 »

greenyellow wrote:
mattc94 wrote:Yeah. TJ McConnell is due his Oscar for "best cry following a major loss." Wiscy do the obligatory dance of victory. I hope AZ fans remember this one for a while and that it adds to their "we get no respect" complex. They're almost as bad as the Beavs.
Arizona has underperformed for years relative to the talent they bring in. The U of A crowd thinks that they are the second coming of UCLA from the 60's and 70's yet they haven't been to a final four in years. All I heard here in Arizona from UA people is that Oregon football gags it in primetime. My response is that at least we get to the big show. I have a U of A grad and an ASU grad in the family and will always pull for the Devils. U of A fan has earned the asshole label that many have tagged them with.
mattc94
Four Star Recruit

Post by mattc94 »

Watching the Duke/ Gonzaga game, Gonzaga were playing them close, but have missed their last few shots. If Sabonis stays in school, he could be a hell of a player. Altman has gotta start pulling some of the NW talent! I am sick of them mentioning Oregon players who go to other schools like Wiltjer and Singler.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

The talent just hasn't been there in Oregon the past couple seasons and it looks like that will continue, with Pritchard from West Linn being the one who looks like a Power 5 conference level player. For some reason, the state has just dropped in the level of talent it produces. This is why it's a good thing Oregon is branching out into Canada for recruits.
mattc94
Four Star Recruit

Post by mattc94 »

greenyellow wrote:The talent just hasn't been there in Oregon the past couple seasons and it looks like that will continue, with Pritchard from West Linn being the one who looks like a Power 5 conference level player. For some reason, the state has just dropped in the level of talent it produces. This is why it's a good thing Oregon is branching out into Canada for recruits.
Yeah. I absolutely agree. If Gonzaga is any example, then Canadian talent is a future pipeline for us. And the Ducks are in a power conference. Pulling a recruit like Thon Maker would be major. But Calipari could could sell a ketchup popsicle to a woman with white gloves.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Two things, first UO was never in danger of going to the wac in the 90s, anyone thinking so has no clue.

Two, the state of Oregon continues to grow in population and drop in talent. It's amazing how in the last 20 years we have gone from having serious NBA talent as well as serious NFL talent at qb, to growing by a million or so and having nothing anymore. One thing that has to hurt is that it used to be free to play sports, and now it can cost hundreds of dollars to play a sport. So that has to cut out some talented kids.
mattc94
Four Star Recruit

Post by mattc94 »

buckmarkduck wrote:Two things, first UO was never in danger of going to the wac in the 90s, anyone thinking so has no clue.

Two, the state of Oregon continues to grow in population and drop in talent. It's amazing how in the last 20 years we have gone from having serious NBA talent as well as serious NFL talent at qb, to growing by a million or so and having nothing anymore. One thing that has to hurt is that it used to be free to play sports, and now it can cost hundreds of dollars to play a sport. So that has to cut out some talented kids.
Of course Oregon would never go to the WAC. But a part of me remembers when the Oregon schools were drawing criticism from sports writers for their athletics programs. And you're right about the lack of NBA and NFL talent. My grandfather was the head of the OSAA for a time and so we got free tickets to the state high school playoffs. Portland Public Schools was just brimming with Division I basketball talent then and the competition was of a high quality. College players like Charlie Sitton, Danny Ainge, Terrell Brandon and Freddy Jones came through those tournaments. And the interest in amateur athletic in general, was a lot higher. That attitude at least in Portland Public Schools is gone. I graduated from West Linn High School years ago and am amazed they have won three straight titles! In the Oregon I grew up in, that would never happened. Does Portland Public Schools even fund competative sports. Or is that too much privelege ?
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

mattc94 wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:Two things, first UO was never in danger of going to the wac in the 90s, anyone thinking so has no clue.

Of course Oregon would never go to the WAC. But a part of me remembers when the Oregon schools were drawing criticism from sports writers for their athletics programs. And you're right about the lack of NBA and NFL talent. My grandfather was the head of the OSAA for a time and so we got free tickets to the state high school playoffs. Portland Public Schools was just brimming with Division I basketball talent then and the competition was of a high quality. College players like Charlie Sitton, Danny Ainge, Terrell Brandon and Freddy Jones came through those tournaments. And the interest in amateur athletic in general, was a lot higher. That attitude at least in Portland Public Schools is gone. I graduated from West Linn High School years ago and am amazed they have won three straight titles! In the Oregon I grew up in, that would never happened. Does Portland Public Schools even fund competative sports. Or is that too much privelege ?

Not just portland, I remember when So. Oregon used to put out football players like Chad Cota, Tracey Eaton, Jermey Asher, Matt Smith, Ted Stark (was a 5* qb who ended up at UW in 91, who Brooks desperately wanted) Cy Aleman and even 1-AA kids like Corey Falls, Foote, Matt Wells, and so on. It's dryed up state wide. Even in the early 00s we got DeLaGrange and David Faetette(sp).

In basketball South Medford alone put out 6 d1 basketball players in a 10-12 year period.
Last edited by buckmarkduck on Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattc94
Four Star Recruit

Post by mattc94 »

buckmarkduck wrote:
mattc94 wrote:

Not just portland, I remember when So. Oregon used to put out football players like Chad Cota, Tracey Eaton, Jermey Asher, Matt Smith, Ted Stark (was a 5* qb who ended up at UW in 91, who Brooks desperately wanted) Cy Aleman and even 1-AA kids like Corey Falls, Foote, Matt Wells, and so on. It's dryed up state wide. Even in the early 00s we got DeLaGrange and David Faetette(sp).
But why?
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Idk? Laziness, money, maybe soccer? No money for solid coaches anymore? I know North Medford tried to hire a couple of big name HC, who ended up turning them down because they couldn't guarantee jobs for the assistants.
mdm0302
Freshman

Post by mdm0302 »

buckmarkduck wrote:
mattc94 wrote:

In basketball South Medford alone put out 6 d1 basketball players in a 10-12 year period.
i know southern Oregon has been rated as a top destination to retire in since the early 2000's. i would assume Oregon in general is a top destination to retire and that would make sense of our population continuing to grow but talent drying up.
mattc94
Four Star Recruit

Post by mattc94 »

buckmarkduck wrote:Idk? Laziness, money, maybe soccer? No money for solid coaches anymore? I know North Medford tried to hire a couple of big name HC, who needed up turning them down because they couldn't guarantee jobs for the assistants.
MONEY. I'd underline it if I wasn't on a phone. Around the early ninties, this state went through a major demographic change of some kind. Suddenly, school funding began to be cut and teachers pensions began to be lessened. Funny that Mr. Holland opus was filmed at Grant HS. The ending of that film is EXACTLY what happened. Sad.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

At one time, (Specifically BEFORE the demise of the timber industry), Oregon had one of the highest employment rates in the country. The state was literally a marginal player, at best, in the financing of Oregon schools.

Local school districts, for the most part, used voter approved property tax levies to finance public education system, as did local government. Money from their own districts was used to pay for the programs operated by the schools.

This included a large portion of the cash coming from large land owners, such as Weyerhauser, Seneca, and Rosboro.

When the voters of Oregon approved the original property tax limitation measures that initially changed that system, they also included a proviso that took money from "rich" districts (i.e.: Those who perennially supported a well funded education system), and used the extra cash to provide a more balanced system state-wide, where everyone received (at least theoretically) equal funding.

Most voters were of the mistaken belief that nothing would change, as far as the ability to support school funding. The state legislature is involved, as is the bureaucracy at their disposal... Instead of fixing things, it created a massive quagmire that has resulted in major program cuts at pretty much every public institution in the state.

The first cuts often involve athletics, arts, and other popular "elective" programs.

Most schools retain athletic programs, but few are operated in a manner that allows equal participation. As a general rule, it has often become a "pay to play" situation, and in a place like Oregon, many simply can't afford the fees.

Many schools have booster/parent associations that try to fill the gap, but in many cases, it's just too little, too late.

Funny thing. Many of those athletes Oregon once produced were the children of loggers, farmers, and other once lucratively employed citizens.

The demographic has changed, and the employment that was promised to fill the gap created as the agricultural and timber based jobs were lost has never flourished. The tax revenue that would have been generated by that industry has shriveled, as well.

As Robert Heinlein wrote in, "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress", "TANSTAAFL"... There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

Welcome to Oregon.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!