Boucher, Bell to return; Brooks, Dorsey deciding (update)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

AutzenMember
Five Star Recruit

Boucher, Bell to return; Brooks, Dorsey deciding (update)

Post by AutzenMember »

Updating the earlier report...
http://www.thescore.com/ncaab/news/1007900
Last edited by AutzenMember on Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: Brooks, Boucher both declare for NBA Draft

Post by StevensTechU »

It's the smart thing to do. We're in an era where declaring for the draft in basketball is comparable to requesting an evaluation in football.
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

:? Hmm...would either be drafted in the first round?
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Kinda expected this. They can go to the Chicago pre draft camp/combines and see how they stack up against the competition. I don't think either is likely to actually leave school but if one was going to do it, it would be Brooks IMHO. I think it would be a mistake though, he has a lot that he needs to improve on before he is going to be able to contribute in the NBA.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

I'm with Duck24, I really believe both would improve their stock with an extra year in college. Brooks is extremely talented, but kinda went under the radar at the national level (until the coach K thing). People will be talking about him a lot going into next season. I really think Brooks could be first round talent if he stayed.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Very smart on their part. Just wondering why Bell and Dorsey didn't do the same thing. Bell is actually our highest rated prospect per ESPN at 54. If he develops a mid range jumper in the next year or two, I think he is the best best to actually stick.

I don't see a situation where Brooks or Boucher don't come back. Both are second round at best and have a lot of room to improve to get into the first round.
rentdodger1
Three Star Recruit

Post by rentdodger1 »

UOducksTK1 wrote:I'm with Duck24, I really believe both would improve their stock with an extra year in college. Brooks is extremely talented, but kinda went under the radar at the national level (until the coach K thing). People will be talking about him a lot going into next season. I really think Brooks could be first round talent if he stayed.
Brooks is talented but he really needs to develop a consistent reliable shot. The thing that sits with me about Brooks is making 3 great moves to get open in the lane against St. Joes and comes up short on all three shots and forcing it the whole game against Oklahoma. One more year of maturity and consistently making shots under game pressure will help him and he is in the middle/back end of the 1st round in 2017.

Boucher in a straight up defensive situation got abused by bigger/thicker college players. Played really good in defensive help scenarios. Often he got lost on defensive coverage and he had to have teammates direct where he needed to be. Another year in the program he will improve a lot.

End of the day both these guys are back for next year.

The potential front line of Bell, Boucher, Bigby-W, Cage is something Oregon has NEVER had. Add in talented wings and better/mature outside scoring is a team that could be playing for it all in Phoenix next year.
AutzenMember
Five Star Recruit

Re: Boucher, Bell to return; Brooks, Dorsey deciding (update

Post by AutzenMember »

Update (heading for thread changed to reflect this new report)

http://www.thescore.com/ncaab/news/1007900
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

While it's a little nerve-racking to wait on the announcements, it shows how far the basketball program has come. When is the last time we had four underclassmen who were thinking about entering the NBA draft? The Lukes/Fred is probably the closest thing to what we are experiencing now.

I really hope they all come back. Starting in the top 5 would be pretty neat.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

So it's a waiting game for the next 6 weeks with Brooks. I think he will carve out a really good nba career and see some James Harden with his inside offensive game. He can get to the rim while not losing the ball and I don't even have to mention how much better defensively he already is...

Team Canada could be pretty beastly by the next Olympics.
whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

I'm nervous that he could tear up the nba evals. He's the kind of guy that is so much better in person than on paper. He's not fast, he's not a great athlete, he's undersized, but he's just so damn good at every facet of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

Duck07 wrote:So it's a waiting game for the next 6 weeks with Brooks. I think he will carve out a really good nba career and see some James Harden with his inside offensive game. He can get to the rim while not losing the ball and I don't even have to mention how much better defensively he already is...

Brooks' outside shot isn't even close to Harden's. Harden was also a far more efficient and polished offensive player. Brooks settles for long 2's far too often. He improved a lot this year, but still needs to work on his 3 point shot, his ball handling and decision making.

Dorsey is actually probably considered a better NBA prospect, particularly if teams think he can play the point (not necessarily full time). Dorsey is a streaky offensive player, but has a beautiful stroke with a high release. He's also an excellent athlete....and very quick. In high school, Dorsey had a reputation for being a selfish player, but we didn't see that at all in his freshman year at Oregon. He totally bought into Altman's system. From long range, Dorsey is better on the catch-and-shoot than when he tries to create for himself.

One other thing to consider, I believe Dorsey is almost 20 years old, he's older than most freshmen. If he tests really well at the NBA workouts, I could see him leaving and probably being a 2nd round pick. I do think he's best served remaining in college for one more year to work on his ball handling, passing (not passing ability, but decision making), and defense. In NBA circles, I think Dorsey will be seen as an NBA prospect with a higher ceiling. As someone else pointed out, Jordan Bell may be more intriguing than either player.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

uostudent wrote:
Duck07 wrote:So it's a waiting game for the next 6 weeks with Brooks. I think he will carve out a really good nba career and see some James Harden with his inside offensive game. He can get to the rim while not losing the ball and I don't even have to mention how much better defensively he already is...

Brooks' outside shot isn't even close to Harden's. Harden was also a far more efficient and polished offensive player. Brooks settles for long 2's far too often. He improved a lot this year, but still needs to work on his 3 point shot, his ball handling and decision making.

Dorsey is actually probably considered a better NBA prospect, particularly if teams think he can play the point (not necessarily full time). Dorsey is a streaky offensive player, but has a beautiful stroke with a high release. He's also an excellent athlete....and very quick. In high school, Dorsey had a reputation for being a selfish player, but we didn't see that at all in his freshman year at Oregon. He totally bought into Altman's system. From long range, Dorsey is better on the catch-and-shoot than when he tries to create for himself.

One other thing to consider, I believe Dorsey is almost 20 years old, he's older than most freshmen. If he tests really well at the NBA workouts, I could see him leaving and probably being a 2nd round pick. I do think he's best served remaining in college for one more year to work on his ball handling, passing (not passing ability, but decision making), and defense. In NBA circles, I think Dorsey will be seen as an NBA prospect with a higher ceiling. As someone else pointed out, Jordan Bell may be more intriguing than either player.
Hence my statement about his inside offensive game. Harden has also grown into a shooter over the years, he's more of a natural scorer than he is a natural shooter and it's that similarity that I find with Dillon.