MBB: #8 Oregon @ Washington State (Thu 6 PM FS1)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Re: MBB: #8 Oregon @ Washington State (Thu 6 PM FS1)

Post by greenyellow »

Tonight was a bad loss but it's still way too early to worry about the team. They're still getting Juiston back into the rotation after he missed a month, Dante is nowhere near where his potential is, and losing Lawson to an ankle injury didn't help their frontcourt rotation. I also believe that the offense and defense will get better once Dana gets the full system installed (he said in multiple interviews that he's only got them running a few basic offensive sets and defenses to ease the transition) and the players become more comfortable with it.
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

I think we're just going to have to accept the fact that there's a reason why Mathis ended up at New Mexico and not a big name program.
He plays well when he's against teams that level, but against tougher competition he gets a reality check.
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

This team plays to the level of the team they are facing. I really think when Dante gets in game shape and the games become more important the team will take off like they usually do.
After watching the women’s game last night they really play to the level of their competition too. Losing to ASU and curb stomping Stanford?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Seen this movie before. An Altman team with horrible losses in January, somehow rips off 10 straight at the end of the year and makes a run in the tourney. No reason to panic. He WILL get it figured out.

Just a few observations:
1) Okoro has ONE rebound and ZERO points in 22 minutes of playing time over the past two games. I like the guy and I know he can rebound, because I have seen him do it before. But he is a mess right now. Altman should probably to sit him for a game or two and tell him if he doesn't give 100% effort to rebound on every possession, he is not going to see the floor.

2) Not sure why Duarte is taking crap on here. He is one of two guys that actually showed up last night. He is still out of control at times and is a streaky shooter, but the dude never takes a play off. He hustles his a$$ off. He is a good defender, provides some offense, and can create his own shot. On top of that he is currently our leading rebounder??? YIKES. What does that say about our bigs?

3) I like Dante and he provides some offense, but his defense is flat out terrible. In fact, it is the worst I have seen in years. I think it is probably lack of playing time, but man...how many baskets did he give up last night by not rotating or being out of position. Hopefully he gets it figured out soon.

4) I honestly think there is a HUGE drop off when Walker is not healthy. He does so many little things and gives you a ton of athleticism on the floor.

At this point, I would probably go a little small and start Pritch, Richardson, Duarte, Juiston, and Walker. You might be giving up a little size, but everyone of those guys can score, defend and rebound at a decent level.