Pac-12 Hoops

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Greenblood
Senior

Pac-12 Hoops

Post by Greenblood »

Ten conference teams played last night and mostly did well. I noted
  • #11 UCLA's very impressive win at #1 Kentucky. That's got to get the Ducks' attention, as the Bruins visit MKA for the Ducks' conference opener on Dec 28.
    #8 Gonzaga wins at #16 Arizona.
    WSU lost 70-54 at home to New Orleans. Looks like a big ouch for Ernie's program.
    ASU beats UNLV, whom the Ducks play in Portland the end of next week, 97-73.
Last edited by Greenblood on Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Pac-12 Basketball

Post by UOducksTK1 »

UCLA is ranked #2. Also of note, Baylor and Valpo are looking strong.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Re: Pac-12 Basketball

Post by gofightingducks »

UCLA is clearly the strongest team in the conference right now but as we see every year once conference play begins anything can happen. Going to be a very difficult test to begin conference play for the Ducks to start off with UCLA but should hopefully help as conference play goes along.
Greenblood
Senior

Re: Pac-12 Hoops

Post by Greenblood »

Arizona wins at UCLA last night, 96-85, to remain, like Oregon, unbeaten in conference play. Pretty impressive win, especially with all the injuries the Wildcats have had. Would set up a pretty big game between the Ducks and Wildcats in two weeks at MKA, especially if both teams were to remain unbeaten in conference until then.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Arizona with Trier and Oregon with Brooks are Final Four Contenders.

UCLA has the talent, but Alford(the coach) tends to waste it. They took a lot of bad shots and played some lousy team defense against Arizona. Arizona was abusing Alford(the player) down the stretch, but Coach Alford refused to sub him out on defense.
OregonDonor
Two Star Recruit

Post by OregonDonor »

Greenblood wrote:Arizona wins at UCLA last night, 96-85, to remain, like Oregon, unbeaten in conference play. Pretty impressive win, especially with all the injuries the Wildcats have had. Would set up a pretty big game between the Ducks and Wildcats in two weeks at MKA, especially if both teams were to remain unbeaten in conference until then.
Yeah, I bet Arizona moves into the top 10, UCLA falls right behind them and the Ducks move up to 7 or 8.

The schedule lines up nicely for Oregon this year not having to travel to Arizona. The only really tough road game will be at UCLA February 9th.

Depending on Brooks health, it doesn't seem impossible that the Ducks could finish the season with 4 or fewer losses. If things go how I think they will, Oregon should be in good shape to get a 1 seed again.

Btw- Anyone else planning on going to the Pac-12 tournament 3/8-3/11.

The top 4 teams get a bye on Wednesday so the Ducks should be playing Thursday-Saturday if everything goes well.

We booked our flights to arrive Wednesday and leave Monday.

I think I'm going to buy the tickets on the secondary market but I worry that if we're playing one of the southern teams, tickets could be hard to come by. I'm not wanting to spend hundreds of dollars for one game. I guess it's kind of a gamble

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
Formerly LetMeSeeYourO
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

OregonDonor wrote:
Greenblood wrote:Arizona wins at UCLA last night, 96-85, to remain, like Oregon, unbeaten in conference play. Pretty impressive win, especially with all the injuries the Wildcats have had. Would set up a pretty big game between the Ducks and Wildcats in two weeks at MKA, especially if both teams were to remain unbeaten in conference until then.
Yeah, I bet Arizona moves into the top 10, UCLA falls right behind them and the Ducks move up to 7 or 8.

The schedule lines up nicely for Oregon this year not having to travel to Arizona. The only really tough road game will be at UCLA February 9th.

Depending on Brooks health, it doesn't seem impossible that the Ducks could finish the season with 4 or fewer losses. If things go how I think they will, Oregon should be in good shape to get a 1 seed again.

The top 4 teams get a bye on Wednesday so the Ducks should be playing Thursday-Saturday if everything goes well.

I think I'm going to buy the tickets on the secondary market but I worry that if we're playing one of the southern teams, tickets could be hard to come by. I'm not wanting to spend hundreds of dollars for one game. I guess it's kind of a gamble

We'll be there, haven't missed one yet. If you haven't booked your room yet, be prepared they are crazy spendy this year for some reason.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

GrantDuck wrote:Arizona with Trier and Oregon with Brooks are Final Four Contenders.

UCLA has the talent, but Alford(the coach) tends to waste it. They took a lot of bad shots and played some lousy team defense against Arizona. Arizona was abusing Alford(the player) down the stretch, but Coach Alford refused to sub him out on defense.
I can't understand why UCLA refuses to play defense. They are just flat out lazy on that side of the ball. That is why AZ or UO will win the conference. AZ and UO are the top 2 defensive teams in the conference. According to statistics, UCLA is the the bottom three, which doesn't even seem possible considering how weak the bottom of the conference is right now.

I honestly don't see UCLA making past the Sweet 16 unless they start playing some defense.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Arizona jumped us to #7 in the latest AP poll.
UCLA #8 and we went up to #10.
PChung15
One Star Recruit

Post by PChung15 »

northbeachsf wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:Arizona with Trier and Oregon with Brooks are Final Four Contenders.

I can't understand why UCLA refuses to play defense. They are just flat out lazy on that side of the ball. That is why AZ or UO will win the conference. AZ and UO are the top 2 defensive teams in the conference. According to statistics, UCLA is the the bottom three, which doesn't even seem possible considering how weak the bottom of the conference is right now.

I honestly don't see UCLA making past the Sweet 16 unless they start playing some defense.
They think they can just outscore everyone but the two teams that play defense Oregon and Zona have beat them because they work hard on both ends and limit possessions. If they don't fix that soon they will bounced early in the tourney especially if they are matched up with a defensive team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Juice
Four Star Recruit

Post by Juice »

OregonDonor wrote:

We'll be heading down for my bachelor party. 8-)
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Juice wrote:
OregonDonor wrote:

We'll be heading down for my bachelor party. 8-)
My buddy's bachelor party will be around the same time...
webfoot72
One Star Recruit

Post by webfoot72 »

Phenom wrote:Arizona jumped us to #7 in the latest AP poll.
I think we'd be a few spots higher if Brooks wasn't injured.
OregonDonor
Two Star Recruit

Post by OregonDonor »

We've won like 16 in a row, have beat UCLA, and even though we have same number of losses they stay ahead of us?

I'd like to think, maybe we need to win more convincingly, but the past 7 games have been won by an average of 24 points.

I get it. The Ducks crapped the bed to start the season, but since then they've been playing as well (or better) than any team in the country.

The rankings don't really matter right now anyways. If they continue to win it'll all work itself out. Would be nice for them to get a little recognition for the incredible season they're having though.

Formerly LetMeSeeYourO
fendallian
High School Drop Out

Post by fendallian »

OregonDonor wrote:
We've won like 16 in a row, have beat UCLA, and even though we have same number of losses they stay ahead of us?

I'd like to think, maybe we need to win more convincingly, but the past 7 games have been won by an average of 24 points.

I get it. The Ducks crapped the bed to start the season, but since then they've been playing as well (or better) than any team in the country.

The rankings don't really matter right now anyways. If they continue to win it'll all work itself out. Would be nice for them to get a little recognition for the incredible season they're having though.

I'm not saying I totally agree with the rankings but I do understand why UCLA would stay ahead of us in some voters minds.

They have losses to two top 10 teams , and a win on the road against Kentucky.

We have losses to one top ten team and one pretty lousy team. Our best win, against UCLA at home, is a good one, but still not going to rank as high as Kentucky on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk