Fresno State @ #20 Oregon

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Fresno State @ #20 Oregon

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Last non-conference game. Let's finish strong!

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Re: Fresno State @ #20 Oregon

Post by whosyourwally »

New guys, Smith and BW, looking sharp in the first half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

Team has looked better with Brooks on the bench this game. He's taking a lot of BAD shots.

mattc94
Four Star Recruit

Post by mattc94 »

I don't get. Even without Boucher, they should be better than this. Too much talent to be this sloppy.
mattc94
Four Star Recruit

Post by mattc94 »

Brooks doesn't look like the same player as last year.
whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

mattc94 wrote:Brooks doesn't look like the same player as last year.
He's not even setting his feet. Just jacking up dumb shots. That's 3 airballs in a row.

whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

Jordan Bell is having himself a game though. I love how a different player seems to step up every game. Seems to be a staple of Altman-coached team.

mattc94
Four Star Recruit

Post by mattc94 »

It's been fun watching Bell turn himself into a complete player. I remember when he was pretty much known for blocks and decent D. Altman and his staff sometimes don't get the credit they deserve for developing talent.
mattc94
Four Star Recruit

Post by mattc94 »

Pac-12 refs you got to love them. They've got to be the amomg the worst in college basketball
whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

Well we won, but this looked like a game we should have ran away with. Next week's game against UCLA will be telling.

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Didn't watch the game, but it looks like my wife's crush sure had a good game. Bell definitely looks like the best player on the team this season and it's not even close.

Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

whosyourwally wrote:Well we won, but this looked like a game we should have ran away with. Next week's game against UCLA will be telling.

Yeah, but Fresno is a good team. I wouldn't be surprised to see them make the tourney. Nervous for UCLA and USC next week.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

i, for one, have readjusted my expectations of this team. i don't believe we possess the shooting ability to "run away from teams like this." sure, we'll have those games where everything's falling and someone will be all "that's the team i've been waiting for!" but i think those games will be an anomaly.

we're playing more of an east coast brand of basketball, with physical guard play and a super athletic big man (although boucher more or less defies an apt comparison) and 40 minutes of defense. teams like that don't always win big, but they hold their opponents to about 60, control the pace, feel "in control" even if the game is within single digits, and make the plays down the stretch. that's basically every game for us, save that traveling circus of a team from savannah state who didn't even try to D up. even when fresno had a few breakaways and pulled with 45-40 in the second i never once thought we were in trouble. altman called a TO and we readjusted. regained control.

ucla is a freakshow and we might very well lose our conference opener, but despite the "unpolished" look of this team through the november/december schedule i fully expect to win 25 games and get a high seed in the tourney.
ImageImageImageImageImage
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

oregontrack wrote:i, for one, have readjusted my expectations of this team. i don't believe we possess the shooting ability to "run away from teams like this." sure, we'll have those games where everything's falling and someone will be all "that's the team i've been waiting for!" but i think those games will be an anomaly.

we're playing more of an east coast brand of basketball, with physical guard play and a super athletic big man (although boucher more or less defies an apt comparison) and 40 minutes of defense. teams like that don't always win big, but they hold their opponents to about 60, control the pace, feel "in control" even if the game is within single digits, and make the plays down the stretch. that's basically every game for us, save that traveling circus of a team from savannah state who didn't even try to D up. even when fresno had a few breakaways and pulled with 45-40 in the second i never once thought we were in trouble. altman called a TO and we readjusted. regained control.

ucla is a freakshow and we might very well lose our conference opener, but despite the "unpolished" look of this team through the november/december schedule i fully expect to win 25 games and get a high seed in the tourney.
Yeah our high turnovers and our low percentage shooting from outside is definitely not what I'm used to seeing from an Altman team.

Honestly, minus a few small stretches of poor play, we looked better against Fresno. A few small notes:
-Bell had the game of his life. He forced a couple really bad shots, but otherwise was great.
-Brooks was playing a little dumb. Airballed a few shots because of very poor shot selection. And he was in early foul trouble.
-17 assists to 12 turnovers was nice.
-We still can't shoot 3s.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

Maybe Altman believes in this team's ability to score in the paint and wants to play the % game. If Brooks finds his mid range jump shot, then I think this current scheme could be the most efficient in years.