What are your thoughts on the starting lineup?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OregonFan4Life
All-American

What are your thoughts on the starting lineup?

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I'm not trying to overreact to one loss (even if it was a bad one) but am I the only one that hasn't liked this new starting lineup? It seems like Boucher and Bell together have been putting so much fear in opposing big men and the blocks have been huge, but putting only one in at a time doesn't give Oregon that advantage that's helped them so much. Plus putting Brooks at the 4 doesn't appear to help him, he's clearly out of his element playing the 4 and that along with the foot injury is really hurting his game. Plus, I really think Altman needs to send Dorsey a message by benching him. If he's just struggling with his shot that's one thing, but each game I can count a real lack of effort from him on multiple occasions. Whether it's standing on a long rebound and giving it up, or not getting back on defense after taking a bad three and allowing an easy transition bucket, he's been hurting this team this season and he needs to learn a lesson. What are some other thoughts, should Altman stick with this lineup or change it? And before you claim I am overreacting, if you look at my posts, I've been calling for Altman to change the lineup way before this game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nogerO
Senior

Re: What are your thoughts on the starting lineup?

Post by nogerO »

[quote="OregonFan4Life"]I'm not trying to overreact to one loss (even if it was a bad one) but am I the only one that hasn't liked this new starting lineup? It seems like Boucher and Bell together have been putting so much fear in opposing big men and the blocks have been huge, but putting only one in at a time doesn't give Oregon that advantage that's helped them so much. Plus putting Brooks at the 4 doesn't appear to help him, he's clearly out of his element playing the 4 and that along with the foot injury is really hurting his game. Plus, I really think Altman needs to send Dorsey a message by benching him. If he's just struggling with his shot that's one thing, but each game I can count a real lack of effort from him on multiple occasions. Whether it's standing on a long rebound and giving it up, or not getting back on defense after taking a bad three and allowing an easy transition bucket, he's been hurting this team this season and he needs to learn a lesson. What are some other thoughts, should Altman stick with this lineup or change it? And before you claim I am overreacting, if you look at my posts, I've been calling for Altman to change the lineup way before this game.

Spot on! Dorsey has been dogging it pretty much all year. If he thinks he wasn't ready for the NBA last year, what will it be like with this years video resume? Time to sit young man.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

nogerO wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:I'm not trying to overreact to one loss (even if it was a bad one) but am I the only one that hasn't liked this new starting lineup? It seems like Boucher and Bell together have been putting so much fear in opposing big men and the blocks have been huge, but putting only one in at a time doesn't give Oregon that advantage that's helped them so much. Plus putting Brooks at the 4 doesn't appear to help him, he's clearly out of his element playing the 4 and that along with the foot injury is really hurting his game. Plus, I really think Altman needs to send Dorsey a message by benching him. If he's just struggling with his shot that's one thing, but each game I can count a real lack of effort from him on multiple occasions. Whether it's standing on a long rebound and giving it up, or not getting back on defense after taking a bad three and allowing an easy transition bucket, he's been hurting this team this season and he needs to learn a lesson. What are some other thoughts, should Altman stick with this lineup or change it? And before you claim I am overreacting, if you look at my posts, I've been calling for Altman to change the lineup way before this game.

Spot on! Dorsey has been dogging it pretty much all year. If he thinks he wasn't ready for the NBA last year, what will it be like with this years video resume? Time to sit young man.
Both of you are right on track... Not sure what Altmans thought processes are, but the past two games starting line ups haven't worked ...As for Dorsey, he has continually under performed this season... Not an NBA quality player imo, not at this time ..
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

see, i don't like starting bell and boucher together. defensively it's great, but boucher tends to vacant the paint and stands behind the arc when he plays with bell. we opened the season with this lineup, and the O was very stagnant. the offense finally opened up and hit a groove when boucher got hurt, missed a few games, and came back off the bench. i'm not saying dorsey has lived up to the expectations most had for him offensively, but he's also not a black hole when he's on the court.

i guess who starts and who doesn't won't really matter, but i see no reason to rock the boat. the whole team just no-showed last night. it happens.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I feel like Ennis can become a black hole with the basketball at times. I like seeing us play bigger and win the glass.
Kyle's Brother
Three Star Recruit

Post by Kyle's Brother »

One of Ennis/Dorsey needs to come off the bench. I'd lean towards Ennis starting just based on his defensive presence. I can't believe we're this far into the year and haven't see Pritchard/Brooks/Bell/Boucher start together. That's the A-team right there. Need to build around that every game imo.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Brooks/Boucher lineup has ball movement/TO issues.

Saw it a lot early in the year and it's why Altman moved away from it.

Dorsey just needs to play better. I think he's in his own head a bit right now.
OregonDonor
Two Star Recruit

Post by OregonDonor »

Honestly, I'm not sure Ennis is better than Benson right now. When has a guard struggled to make layups like Ennis?

He seems like a great guy but he frustrates me about as much as anyone on this team. He does a ton of good stuff though, like when his layups do go in, or he gets a block, rebound or hustle play.

Now I'm starting to talk myself out of benching Ennis. He does some things that others don't, but Benson has been clutch from 3 lately.

I'd really like to see Boucher get hot down the stretch. He's been hot and cold lately; just doesn't seem to be 100% back to form yet.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
Formerly LetMeSeeYourO
paduck
One Star Recruit

Post by paduck »

OregonDonor wrote:Honestly, I'm not sure Ennis is better than Benson right now. When has a guard struggled to make layups like Ennis?

He seems like a great guy but he frustrates me about as much as anyone on this team. He does a ton of good stuff though, like when his layups do go in, or he gets a block, rebound or hustle play.

Now I'm starting to talk myself out of benching Ennis. He does some things that others don't, but Benson has been clutch from 3 lately.

I'd really like to see Boucher get hot down the stretch. He's been hot and cold lately; just doesn't seem to be 100% back to form yet.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
Opponents seem content to let Boucher take open 3-pointers. He shot 33.9% from 3 last year and is at 32.4% this season -- not terrible numbers by any stretch, but not enough to scare the other team. Plus, his jumper is ugly. I'm surprised every time he makes one.

I think he's coming off the bench because other teams clog the lane when he's in the game. On Oregon's side, everything seems to slows down offensively. I would like to see Boucher move the ball a little better and take advantage of his height inside.

Overall, the starting lineup is fine. Altman needs to pull Ennis faster when he gets out of control. When Ennis slows down, he's been very good.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

I agree with the poster above that we just sh*t the bed last Saturday. I don't think there is too much to worry about. Altman will get them straightened out. I don't really see an issue with the starting lineup.

I think you would actually see Bell and Boucher play a little more together if KBW was further along and could give us longer stretches of quality play. As it stands right now, Altman does not have a ton of extra minutes without some significant drop off with Sorkin and KBW in the game. This forces Bell and Boucher to rotate more to avoid that drop off.

Boucher may be 32% from three this season, but I believe he was less than 30% in conference play prior to the Colorado game and he certainly didn't help is average much in that game. I would love to see him pump fake when a defender is closing out on him, then put the ball on the floor and take it to the rim for a dunk or kick it out to a good shooter. We have three players shooting 50%+ from three in conference play (Ennis=53%, Benson=64%, Pritchard=50%). No excuse for Boucher to be jacking that many threes with the shooters we have on this roster, even if he is open. Honestly, I would rather have Benson, Ennis, or Pritchard take that shot contested.

Also, I think Ennis takes a lot of crap sometimes because he can get a little out of control. HOWEVER, any guy that defends well, makes half his FG attempts, is not afraid to take the the ball to the rim, and shoots 53% from three (in conference play) needs to be on the floor as much as possible. He is a very good player.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Ennis is also our 3rd leading rebounder.

(Brooks should be getting more, FFS Pritchard averages the same as him on the glass).