#5 Oregon @ #10 UCLA (Thu 7 PM ESPN)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrantDuck
Senior

Re: #5 Oregon @ #10 UCLA (Thu 7 PM ESPN)

Post by GrantDuck »

Might have been the worst 10 minutes of hustle/rebounding I've seen since Ernie Kent was coaching.

Altman's slowdown tactics clearly don't work with this team. Same thing happened energy wise against Utah.

Have to find a way to keep energy up with the lead.

Brooks/Dorsey had a combined 4 rebounds in 70 minutes. Ball had 11 rebounds.

Sky is not falling or anything, but that's a bad trend holding leads in 2nd halves and that was a really, really, frustrating half of basketball you don't normally see from Altman's teams.
GrantDuck
Senior

Re: This was the worst collapse I've ever seen under Altman

Post by GrantDuck »

Ducks10 wrote:This is the type of loss that makes you want to quit basketball forever. What a god d*mn joke. I'm livid as hell right now.
Top 5 loss in the Altman era for sure. Not that UCLA isn't good, but the last 10 minutes was lost because of a lack of effort and intensity.

Possibly the worst coaching I've seen from Altman, and I love the guy.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I think we saw Oregon's lack of depth bite them hard tonight. They really need to get some more out of KBW, Sorkin and Smith.
greenyellow wrote:
bellsduck
Senior
GM: Utah Jazz

Post by bellsduck »

[quote="greenyellow"]I think we saw Oregon's lack of depth bite them hard tonight. They really need to get some more out of KBW, Sorkin and Smith.
[quote="greenyellow"]

That would require giving them some minutes and resting guys. Maybe they wouldn't have looked dead the last 10 minutes. KBW has improved through the season and Roman has looked the part this year.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

That was a tough one to swallow. Should have had a road win over a top ten team but ran out of gas.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

sometimes in basketball the team with more talent wins close games in front of their home crowd.
ImageImageImageImageImage
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

This one probably stings more the morning after, just knowing they almost had it in hand and just needed to finish strong to get a solid and convincing road win against a top 10 team, makes it really hurt. If UCLA just played a great game and Oregon fell short, that's one thing, but to have such hot shooting and momentum only to see it accomplish nothing really hurts. I love Altman, but this one is on him. I feel like if the players ran out of gas we would've seen a gradual decrease in energy, this was a sudden decrease which makes me think the strategy was to run more clock out. Very co derivative strategy that can hurt even the best coaches, just gotta hope Altman doesn't do it again. But man this one stings, so close to such a convincing win to really put themselves in great position to win the conference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Post by gofightingducks »

Frustrating loss, had the players stay focused they win. This is a Final Four team if they stay focused. Hopefully this loss wakes them up, would be cool to win out and Arizona lose again to win another regular season conference title.
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

Calm your titties guys.

Oregon wins that game if Bell/Bouche hit freethrows and Ball doesnt hit 30 footers and Humphry hit 2 VERY contested threes late as well. Oregon played well enough to win that game and will beat 98% of teams with that effort. UCLA played off the crowd an Ball...balled out.

One complaint I had was Ennis on Ball, Ball was just toying with him at the end, if youre gonna put someone on him that is going to get beat every time (like ennis did) at least put a bigger body there.
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Post by gofightingducks »

justducky0 wrote:Calm your titties guys.

Oregon wins that game if Bell/Bouche hit freethrows and Ball doesnt hit 30 footers and Humphry hit 2 VERY contested threes late as well. Oregon played well enough to win that game and will beat 98% of teams with that effort. UCLA played off the crowd an Ball...balled out.

One complaint I had was Ennis on Ball, Ball was just toying with him at the end, if youre gonna put someone on him that is going to get beat every time (like ennis did) at least put a bigger body there.

Absolutely agreed, sky is not falling, UCLA is a really good team and at home even better. As long as they stay focused Ducks should win out, this loss should get Altman fired up with the players to not let up, even with a huge lead. Still lots of ball to play but the Ducks will still be a high seed in the tournament.
paduck
One Star Recruit

Post by paduck »

That loss SUCKED. They had them on the ropes and let them come all the way back. A few takeaways:

1) A lot of people in this thread saying Altman took his foot off the gas. I disagree (listen to Dana's interview). I think Oregon flat-out ran out of gas after three-straight emotional, balls to the wall halves. Like others have mentioned, I would like to see KBW getting more minutes. If nothing else, perhaps he prevents some of those 2nd chance points that got UCLA rolling. And he couldn't have made the offense any worse down the stretch.
2) Oregon is fun to watch when they're hitting 3s, but the percentage they've had going isn't sustainable if they can't get to the bucket. Right now, if Dorsey and Brooks aren't creating off the dribble, you get what you saw last night: a lazy weave, lots of standing around and jacked-up 3-pointers late in the shot clock. Guys like Boucher and Pritchard are going to have to get more assertive (Payton is getting there).
3) Completely agree with the poster who said Ennis 6'2" shouldn't have guarded Ball 6'6" at the end. Put a guy with some length on Ball and make him drive right, where hopefully Bell and our bigs are waiting. Even if he finishes in the lane (like he did the first time), at least you're only down 2 at the end.

Tough, frustrating loss. But I still think, completely healthy, this could be a Final 4 team. Oregon-UCLA on a neutral floor and I'm taking the Ducks all day.
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

Thankfully this isn't college football where one regular season loss can derail all playoff hopes. This loss (if we keep winning out our current pace) drops us down one seed, if that. Did we choke? Absolutely. Did we show the nation we are a team to be reckoned with come March? G'Damn right.

As long as we don't let UCLA beat us twice, we'll be just fine.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

For the record. Chris Boucher has a silent R at the end of his name. Please no more Bouche.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

The problem with KBW/Sorkin is they need to prove they can rebound. KBW gets in good position and then tries to grab it and the ball ricochets off his hands like a pinball. Sorkin has to be more consistent on his blocking out and being physical. Boucher seems to only play "tough" at home and be completely soft on the road underneath the basket.

Jordan Bell is a MAN in there, but we need Dillon Brooks to start helping on the glass. No excuse to have 3 rebounds in the amount of minutes he played last night and to average less rebounds than Payton Pritchard.

I agree about fatigue possibly playing a factor after 3 very intense/high level halves. Hopefully KBW/Sorkin can earn the minutes with some tenacious rebounding.

Don't mean to be entirely negative as this is a great team, but that stretch is still bugging me this morning to no end because we should never see that again from a team this talented.