Roman Sorkin needs more minutes

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Since the topic came up in the UCLA thread about the team getting a bit tired down the stretch last night, and UCLA rotating 3 big men to our 2, and offensive rebounds by said big men being the primary difference in the game per Altman, I decided to look into who should get more minutes.

Looking at the #'s from KenPom, Roman Sorkin has the 3rd highest offensive rating on the team. What jumped out at me though was his rebounding rate. It's considerably higher than KBW, but without the TO issues that KBW has at the other end. He's also a 90% FT shooter, which has also been a major issue for this team and I think has contributed to 3 of our 4 losses. So, bottom line is, we probably do need a 3rd rotational big man, so that Bell/Boucher/Brooks can get a bit more rest in high level games. I think that's a really strong case as to why Sorkin needs more minutes.

Although I will say... Boucher shouldn't have been gassed, he only played 20 minutes, but looked completely lethargic on the glass compared to against Arizona, where he was tenacious fighting for balls and when Brooks is at the 4 spot, he's GOT to get more than 3 rebounds.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Re: Roman Sorkin needs more minutes

Post by Phenom »

Sorkin is a terrible defender, though. He's done a lot of his work against backups. I would much rather have seen KBW.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

I don't think Roman is a terrible defender. He was last year.

I think he's made significant strides there. Can he defend against a top quality big man? No. Can he defend against the other team's backup post? Absolutely.

KBW can block shots, but he's often out of position on rotations, etc.
bellsduck
Senior
GM: Utah Jazz

Post by bellsduck »

This was a flat out coaching loss. Gotta use subs a few minutes.
KBW averages over 9 rebounds per 35 minutes of play, which is solid while not spectacular. Roman Sorkin has improved his strength and overall play, especially offensively this year. Both are reliable from the FT stripe. You have to give these guys a few minutes in games like this to relieve the starters.
Yes, Boucher shouldn't be gassed, but since he's come back from his injury weeks ago his role has certainly changed.
And, while Dillon Brooks is the gas that keeps this engine running, his rebounding his horrible this year. There is no reason a 6-7 225 pound athlete like him should be averaging only 3 rebounds per game.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Yeah, PP is outrebounding Brooks. That's no bueno for Brooks.
Royalduck
One Star Recruit

Post by Royalduck »

Phenom wrote:Sorkin is a terrible defender, though. He's done a lot of his work against backups. I would much rather have seen KBW.
KBW has been a bit of a disappointment, but JC transfers often are and then they can blow up the next year. He has bricks for hands. He can't handle most of the passes from teammates that could be converted to easy layups or dunks. He also loses a fair of share rebounds because he can't handle the ball. I think both can shoot well but Sorkin has the better range. Hoping during the off season KBW can improve significantly because the team will need him.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

:lol: Well if Boucher would stop throwing up ill-advised 3's or at least follow his shot when he does, maybe we'd get more rebounds. Everytime I see him out there doing that it drives me crazy and I'm sure Altman isn't too fond of it either. Well, unless they go in.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Kyle's Brother
Three Star Recruit

Post by Kyle's Brother »

I'm honestly not sure how anyone could watch Roman Sorkin play and think he needs more minutes. He should have transferred. He's too slow and soft to be a useful player. Can't stay in front of anyone, can't board. He's walk-on level.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

KBW was really good today. That's 2 of the lat 3 he's been really good and he didn't get in against UCLA.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

GrantDuck wrote:KBW was really good today. That's 2 of the lat 3 he's been really good and he didn't get in against UCLA.
he's so much more athletic than Roman too. If he continues to up his game, it will really help Bell to get needed rest during games.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

We need KBW to play well, if we have any shot at a final 4. Boucher seems to just be calling out in the corner for some reason now, and not playing on the block. Does he understand he can shot something other than 3 or dunks?
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

buckmarkduck wrote:We need KBW to play well, if we have any shot at a final 4. Boucher seems to just be calling out in the corner for some reason now, and not playing on the block. Does he understand he can shot something other than 3 or dunks?
Boucher really struggles when contested down low and on the dribble, so his game has become catch and dunks and shooting threes. He's just so frail he needs some type of separation.
Howry
Three Star Recruit

Post by Howry »

KBW has shown signs the last 2 games. Sorkin is a really good three point shooter when open but he doesnt bring much else to the table. He might be a candidate for a graduate transfer depending on how far along he is.
duxforlyfe
Three Star Recruit

Post by duxforlyfe »

Kyle's Brother wrote:I'm honestly not sure how anyone could watch Roman Sorkin play and think he needs more minutes. He should have transferred. He's too slow and soft to be a useful player. Can't stay in front of anyone, can't board. He's walk-on level.
THANK YOU +10000000000000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk