Good article about 2017 signee Victor Bailey Jr

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Good article about 2017 signee Victor Bailey Jr

Post by greenyellow »

Oregon is getting a really good, but underrated player in Victor Bailey Jr. He's crazy athletic (likely due to his ex-NFLer dad and ex-Olympian hurdler mom) and has continued to improve all facets of his game since committing to Oregon.

http://www.mystatesman.com/sports/baske ... YKQ9APFeJ/
Phenom
All Pac-12

Re: Good article about 2017 signee Victor Bailey Jr

Post by Phenom »

Zach Levine or maybe even Westbrook...
Kyle's Brother
Three Star Recruit

Post by Kyle's Brother »

I've seen some people on the 247 boards talking about how raw he is... That is simply untrue. This kid has freak athletic ability, but he has a pretty well-rounded game already. He's an elite scorer, but he can distribute and create off the dribble, too. He's one of the best players in Texas. There was a game a month or so ago that was won at the buzzer when he had the ball for the final shot, but dished instead of shooting when the defense collapsed on him. Found his teammate wide open for the game winner. He looks like a smart player. I'll be shocked if he doesn't end up with a higher grade as a recruit. He's been absolutely dominating this year.

Check out the McNeil basketball twitter (https://twitter.com/mcneilhoops). I've been following it pretty closely since he signed. They post videos and write ups from every game. Bailey Jr. is a STUD.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Phenom wrote:Zach Levine or maybe even Westbrook...
Westbrook's early college years remind me a lot of Bailey.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Think this guy is vastly underrated. Altman's staff did a hell of a job of scouting and offering him.

I think Dorsey needs 1 more year in college, but if he does jump, the Brown/Bailey/Pritchard backcourt will not be shabby at all.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

GrantDuck wrote:Think this guy is vastly underrated. Altman's staff did a hell of a job of scouting and offering him.

I think Dorsey needs 1 more year in college, but if he does jump, the Brown/Bailey/Pritchard backcourt will not be shabby at all.
Dorsey does need another year, that said I wouldn't be shocked to see Bailey take his job.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

buckmarkduck wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:Think this guy is vastly underrated. Altman's staff did a hell of a job of scouting and offering him.

Dorsey does need another year, that said I wouldn't be shocked to see Bailey take his job.
2 different players, I don't think they will step on each other's toes. I could totally see us running some 3 guard sets next season.

Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

buckmarkduck wrote:

I don't know about that. I mean, they can play together, but I think Dorsey is pretty well entrenched as a starter, especially if Brooks and/or Bell leave.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:

2 different players, I don't think they will step on each other's toes. I could totally see us running some 3 guard sets next season.
I see Bailey essentially filling an Ennis-type role as an athletic combo guard who drives and dishes but can be a go-to scorer when needed. He won't necessarily be a starter if the Ducks have Pritchard, Brown, and Dorsey but will command some good minutes off the bench.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Phenom wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:

I don't know about that. I mean, they can play together, but I think Dorsey is pretty well entrenched as a starter, especially if Brooks and/or Bell leave.
Agreed, he plays the 2nd most minutes on the team. 2nd in scoring. 2nd best 3P% among starters. Best FT% among starters. Not to mention last year as a starter, he was putting up 13ppg and playing over 30 mpg. He won't take a dip.

Kyle's Brother
Three Star Recruit

Post by Kyle's Brother »

I don't really understand arguing hypothetical minutes per game. Dana is going to get the best guys on the court as much as he can. If Dorsey sees his minutes decrease that's a good thing for us. It means someone came in and out-performed him.

There will be minutes for everyone. We're ridiculously thin at the 3 spot this year, and it isn't looking like Smith is going to stick. With Ennis gone we're going to need a lot of people to step up and be able to play. Bailey, Dorsey, Brown, and Brooks (and probably Kigab), assuming they're all here, will all see a lot of minutes.
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

Benson will be back too
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

Kyle's Brother wrote:I don't really understand arguing hypothetical minutes per game. Dana is going to get the best guys on the court as much as he can. If Dorsey sees his minutes decrease that's a good thing for us. It means someone came in and out-performed him.

There will be minutes for everyone. We're ridiculously thin at the 3 spot this year, and it isn't looking like Smith is going to stick. With Ennis gone we're going to need a lot of people to step up and be able to play. Bailey, Dorsey, Brown, and Brooks (and probably Kigab), assuming they're all here, will all see a lot of minutes.
What makes you think Smith isn't going to stick?
Kyle's Brother
Three Star Recruit

Post by Kyle's Brother »

pudgejeff wrote:
Kyle's Brother wrote:I don't really understand arguing hypothetical minutes per game. Dana is going to get the best guys on the court as much as he can. If Dorsey sees his minutes decrease that's a good thing for us. It means someone came in and out-performed him.

I don't have any insider info or anything. I'm just looking at his lack of playing time and the trend of 4 star recruits transferring instantly if they don't play as freshmen. He's barely seen the court this year, and we have a few people coming in that will instantly push him for minutes in Kigab and Brown. Ultimately it just looks to me like Dana doesn't like something about it. Maybe it's an effort in practice thing, or maybe he isn't getting it done in the classroom. Haven't heard anything about injuries since he had an ankle injury in preseason. I really like what I've seen of him. I definitely think he could turn into a special player. I just wouldn't be surprised if he transferred to SDSU or something after this season.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Kyle's Brother wrote:
pudgejeff wrote:

I don't have any insider info or anything. I'm just looking at his lack of playing time and the trend of 4 star recruits transferring instantly if they don't play as freshmen. He's barely seen the court this year, and we have a few people coming in that will instantly push him for minutes in Kigab and Brown. Ultimately it just looks to me like Dana doesn't like something about it. Maybe it's an effort in practice thing, or maybe he isn't getting it done in the classroom. Haven't heard anything about injuries since he had an ankle injury in preseason. I really like what I've seen of him. I definitely think he could turn into a special player. I just wouldn't be surprised if he transferred to SDSU or something after this season.
Altman said that Smith got injured in practice sometime during the week the Bay Area schools visited Oregon so he has had some injury issues that have kept him out. I recall Altman being asked about Smith again prior to last week's games and said that while Smith is back to practicing, he hasn't been worked back into rotation yet since they were being cautious given his injury history and the current rotation has been playing so well.