Midwest R64: #3 Oregon vs #14 Iona (Friday 11 AM TBS)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Midwest R64: #3 Oregon vs #14 Iona (Friday 11 AM TBS)

Post by greenyellow »

Sounds like Oregon will be facing a perimeter-based, 3-point heavy team in Iona. Hopefully Oregon's superior team athleticism wins outs.
cordy02c
Senior

Re: Midwest Round of 64: #3 Oregon vs #14 Iona (Friday)

Post by cordy02c »

Watched Iona in their title game got destroyed on the boards and aren't big. Think of Arizona State style. If they aren't making Threes we smash them
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

ASU is the comp for sure. We will miss Boucher challenging on those switches. Hopefully they really drill KBW and Keith Smith this week on defense.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Get it done Oregon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Their best player appears to be their forward, a 6'8 guy named Jordan Washington, who averaged 17.9 ppg and 7.4 rpg.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

I tried a google, it may be too early, do we have a start time and network to watch? I like the seed and bracket for moving forward.
greenyellow

Re: Midwest R64: #3 Oregon vs #14 Iona (Friday 11 AM TBS)

Post by greenyellow »

Game time has been announced for 11 AM Friday on TBS.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

greenyellow wrote:Game time has been announced for 11 AM Friday on TBS.
Thanks for the update!
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Alan wrote:
Thanks for the update!
Task for the week:

Figure out how to watch the game while sitting in a budget meeting when everyone knows I'm the Duck fan in the office.

Hopefully the Sunday game (assuming they win) isn't a 8:30pm tip like last year.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Duck24 wrote:
Alan wrote:
Thanks for the update!
Task for the week:

Figure out how to watch the game while sitting in a budget meeting when everyone knows I'm the Duck fan in the office.

Hopefully the Sunday game (assuming they win) isn't a 8:30pm tip like last year.
You could try saying something like while you enjoy and love your job, you're going to do your best to focus on the company's budget and future for that matter while knowing you're missing the Ducks first game in the big dance. But you are willing to buy a couple of rounds of beers at the sports bar if we can make tip off in time...........that might work.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Tray Dub wrote:Their best player appears to be their forward, a 6'8 guy named Jordan Washington, who averaged 17.9 ppg and 7.4 rpg.
He's a beast, plays real hard and can score on the low block. Bell will have to stay out of foul trouble against him.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

From what I could find, they use a 4-guard lineup like Oregon. They start 2 guys that have similar builds to Brooks and Bell but Oregon should have height advantages with Dorsey, Ennis, and Prtichard against their other 3 starters. Iona can play all 11 of their guys so it'll be crucial that Oregon stays out of foul trouble and gets some bench contributions from KBW, Sorkin, Benson, and Smith.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

I want to see more of Smith on offense. He seems hesitant, though.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Stoked!!

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
duck541
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck541 »

I think we blow them out, even without Boucher.

Jordan Washington makes their offense run. He's one of the best scorers in the country, averaging 17/gm in 21 minutes. But he has knack for getting in foul trouble and taking himself out of the game. Other than Washington they play with 4 guards, and they can all shoot the 3, especially Sam Cassell Jr. They have absolutely no inside scoring presence, and are not good on the boards. Oregon is one of the better 3pt defending teams in the country, and Bell is a great one on one defender who should be able to hold Washington in check. We'll probably match them with a small lineup and won't suffer on the boards for it.

When Oregon has the ball we should look to attack the basket and make Iona rotate defensively until we have an open shot or can exploit a one on one match up. They don't have the players to excel in a man defense, and we should be able to shoot them out of a zone since they don't have a rim protector and will be forced to collapse on our drives. Iona does force a lot of turnovers, so it's important we take care of the ball, which we've done a good job of as of late. I'm curious to see if Altman tries to go bigger with both Bell and another big in the game at the same time. FSU was able to do so to start the season because their bigs are so athletic and they killed Iona on the glass.

Only way I see us stumbling is if Bell gets in quick foul trouble and KBW isn't able to stop Washington. Even then it'll be close as they don't seem to have answer for all of Brooks, Dorsey, Pritchard, and Ennis.