All Time Oregon basketball teams

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Phenom
All Pac-12

Re: All Time Oregon basketball teams

Post by Phenom »

oregontrack wrote:note: i only list players I WAS ALIVE TO SEE. people always yell at me because i don't include ron lee on these lists, but i never had a chance to see him play.

anyway, this lineup would mess you kids up:

g terrell brandon
g orlando williams
f luke jackson
f malik hairston
f jordan bell
Malik over Brooks... Nah.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

i'd take malik straight up over brooks any day for just about any role. malik was merely handicapped by terrible coaching.
ImageImageImageImageImage
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

oregontrack wrote:note: i only list players I WAS ALIVE TO SEE. people always yell at me because i don't include ron lee on these lists, but i never had a chance to see him play.

g terrell brandon
g orlando williams
f luke jackson
f malik hairston
f jordan bell
Brooks would run circles around Hairston.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

oregontrack wrote:i'd take malik straight up over brooks any day for just about any role. malik was merely handicapped by terrible coaching.
Malik was unathletic and not near the shooter Brooks is. There's a reason he didn't make it in the NBA.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

buckmarkduck wrote:

g terrell brandon
g orlando williams
f luke jackson
f malik hairston
f jordan bell
Brooks would run circles around Hairston.
Yeah, since I put DB on my 2nd team, I definitely pick him over Hairston. The coaching is definitely a plus for Brooks, but if anybody wants to put up an All Time Underachiever Team thread, I'd have Malik on the First team. In all of the games he played, I can't remember going "wow" at any moment.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

unathletic? not a good shooter?

so you guys like don't even remember hairston, do you?
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

oregontrack wrote:unathletic? not a good shooter?

I thought Hairston was a good player. Not the hype player they had him at. He was a key cog on those teams. I would take him again.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

since I'm getting some negative blowback here let me clarify what I said/meant in my first post. I wasn't necessarily ranking the 5 best duck players of my lifetime, I was putting together what I considered the best looking team of my lifetime. for instance: i think rid is a top 3 all-time duck. I love rid to death. but I think brandon was better, so brandon is my point guard. hence no rid on my team.

as for hairston/brooks, I'm sorry, I needed a 4 and I really don't think the competition is close. hairston shot over 50% from the floor 3/4 years, brooks never did. malik shot damn near 60% his senior year, 45% from three. he could board and he used his width and athleticism to defend the post. brooks was the ultimate streak shooter with nice moves cutting through the lane, malik was a consistent shooter who had an elite first step to get by opponents. Malik's width and athleticism also allowed him to fight inside for easy buckets, something we all WISHED dillon would do (especially once boucher went down to help our interior scoring) but almost never did. let me take it up a notch: if we had malik on this year's team instead of brooks, we win the natty. the interior scoring and all around game would have been huge, especially considering brooks' iffy performance in the tourney.

that's why I want malik on my team over Dillon. brooks didn't do much of anything better than hairston.

it's also okay to say malik was overrated. he brought on a wave of criticism himself with his carmelo comment, and as he was the #7 overall recruit and the top 6 all jumped straight to the NBA, he was never the best player in his class at the college level. you could argue that by definition he was overrated and you might be correct. still, he was a really good player for us for four years.

and just to end this novel explanation with a boom, other players I would take at the 4 on my dream team before dillon brooks:

kazemi
bryan bracey
elgin cook
mitch platt (ok not really, just thought i'd liven things up)

dillon brooks was a much better 3 than a 4.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

What is great about All Time Team lists is that there are NO wrong answers, and that they generate a lot of passion as we all support our picks, and I agree completely that D Brooks has no place as a 4.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

I remember him, do you? It's funny I remember a scouting report once given by Steve Lavin, who happened to coach MH in the U18. He said MH moves like an old man, but he loves his game. MH wasn't whatever you think he was.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Bracey would be on the list, if you didn't have to play D also.
Duckattack7
Five Star Recruit

Post by Duckattack7 »

No Aaron Brooks??
Return Of the Quack!
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

buckmarkduck wrote:

I remember him, do you? It's funny I remember a scouting report once given by Steve Lavin, who happened to coach MH in the U18. He said MH moves like an old man, but he loves his game. MH wasn't whatever you think he was.
he was a career 50% shooter and a career 40% shooter from deep. i don't know what you think shooting is? athleticism is subjective, but from his draftexpress profile:
His athleticism is certainly improving as he continues to improve his body, he is a very quick leaper with great hops, which contributes to his adeptness in the lane. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Malik-Hairston-214/ ©DraftExpress
i don't know if you're comparing him athletically to ashton eaton, but for a guy needing to operate around the paint, yeah, he could move and jump a little.

and i haven't even really gotten into his strength or relatively high basketball IQ.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

I would go...

PG - Ridnour (slight edge over AB)
SG - Joe Young (loved Freddie, but Young was the better college player)
SF - Luke Jackson (I don't think theres even a close 2nd)
PF - Arsalan Kazemi (He's the best defensive player that I've seen at UO)
PF/C - Jordan Bell (Would have had a huge senior year if he chose to came back :( )
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

1st team: rid, young, Jones, Ballard and bell
2nd team: brooks, brooks, Hairston, leunnen(so) and Kazemi