Bigby-Williams seeks transfer

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

HomeSickDuck
Three Star Recruit

Re: Bigby-Williams seeks transfer

Post by HomeSickDuck »

Phalanx wrote:
HomeSickDuck wrote:
maxduck wrote:If KBW demanded "redshirt me or I transfer" why would Altman not agree to accommodate the player? He certainly isn't short of scholies and he won't have the player next year either way. I have to believe there is another reason.
Maybe, who knows just passing along what I've read from a couple different sources. A player should not demand anything, they should do what's best for the team. And maybe Altman thought that bigby playing next season was better for the team. Doesn't matter now though, next man up.
As big a duck fan as I am, I completely disagree with this. The player needs to do what is best long term for his development. The situation needs to be mutually advantageous. If it isn't, you move down the road. The funny thing here is that he was bound to get a ton of playing time next season...that's not a help in development?

The ducks are probably a couple of years out from being a great team again. Hopefully they can get another Jordan Bell and start rolling again.
That's exactly what I said, that he would be benificial next season and get the experience, but he wanted to redshirt. That's just pure speculation. But I don't know how you disagree with me then, cause what I was getting at is what is most benificial for both, but the team comes first.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

Here's the RG story about it: http://registerguard.com/rg/sports/3550 ... ansferring

Technically he can still return, but can't imagine. It's disappointing in that I really thought he had physical tools to be pretty good. But I probably don't know much about such things.
Lightning Strikes
Three Star Recruit

Post by Lightning Strikes »

I thought one of his biggest problems this past season was a lack of confidence. I can remember at least a few times one of his teammates getting on him after making a mistake and his body language just looked dejected. In fact, I can't really recall a time when he looked genuinely excited about making a good play.

A part of me thinks that he knows he can't cut it at the highest level right now. If he transfers, I'm willing to bet that it'll be to a smaller program and conference.
Lightning Strikes
Three Star Recruit

Post by Lightning Strikes »

Greenblood wrote:It's disappointing in that I really thought he had physical tools to be pretty good. But I probably don't know much about such things.
He's big and that's about it. His athleticism is decent for his size, but he's not skilled with the ball in his hands whatsoever. He improved defensively as the season progressed, but he's not quick enough to handle undersized front court players which can make him a liability on both ends of the floor.
Kyle's Brother
Three Star Recruit

Post by Kyle's Brother »

I think he's really athletic for a big. It looked to me like he wasn't ready for the size, speed, and athleticism of pac 12 play. It's a pretty massive jump from NJCAA to a NCAA power conference for a big. He's never had to defend post guys that could move like pac 12 guys. I wish he had more than 2 years to play when we got him. He just wasn't ready last season, and probably wouldn't be a big contributor next season. The upside is definitely there for Kavell.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

Apologies for what should be an obvious answer, but why is he leaving?
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

UofDuck wrote:Apologies for what should be an obvious answer, but why is he leaving?
He wants to take a redshirt year to develop. Since he decided to leave, the assumption is the coaches said no.
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

pudgejeff wrote:
UofDuck wrote:Apologies for what should be an obvious answer, but why is he leaving?
He wants to take a redshirt year to develop. Since he decided to leave, the assumption is the coaches said no.
He hasn't officially left yet. He asked to look around and the coaches gave the ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mattc94
Four Star Recruit

Post by mattc94 »

Anybody heard any updates on this issue? I've read that KBW took trips to places like San Diego State but still no word on him actually transferring. My guess is Altman and his teammates are working on him but whispers out there from his camp say he is as good as gone. Let's hope he realizes he can be part of a good Ducks team next year.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

finals were this week, if he was staying until the end of the term for academic reasons before splitting we should hear something relatively soon.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Ducks10
Four Star Recruit

Post by Ducks10 »

Saw he's going to LSU.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Apparently he wants to be the focal point of the offense...lol
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

Yep, he's off to LSU, where he'll sit out a year before having one year to play: http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.s ... iver_index
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Our front court is very thin, especially compared to last season.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

His transfer really does not make much sense to me. But good luck to him! I do think the Pac12 is a better conference and he has to sit out a full year. Overall just strange.