Huge Update from 247

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Phenom
All Pac-12

Huge Update from 247

Post by Phenom »

This article has a TON of information about the 2018 class and some tidbits on the summer workouts. Pretty good job by Prehm, TBH.

http://oregon.247sports.com/Article/Whi ... -106651899

- Oregon will have 5-6 schollys available
- Dort will visit Oregon during the Nebraska game and could commit then or shortly after. ASU is our biggest competitor
- Oregon leads for Emmit Williams and he expects us to land him and sign in November.
- We also lead for Louis King. His mom loves us.
- Recruiting Jordan Brown hard but we are not in the drivers seat
- We cooled on Simi Shittu a bit because apparently him and Barrett don't get along and we think we have a real shot there. He will still likely visit.
- Bol Bol will visit Oregon
- We are at least in RJ Barrett's top 3 (with Duke and Kentucky). Some think we lead. He's friends with current and former Ducks and guys from this recruiting class. He will visit in October.
- If Oregon takes Shittu we probably won't get Barrett.
- Remain players for Jules Bernard, Eric Ayala, Kamaka Hepa, Isaiah Mucius, etc.
- Oregon will get SJSU transfer Brandon Clarke if they push for him. He'll have to sit out this year and play next.
- Staff is very excited about Miles Norris. He compares to Boucher.
- Class of 2019: Greg Anthony's son, Cole, is interested in the Ducks and Greg likes Altman's player development
- Kigab will be a steal. He can do everything. Others schools upset they didn't get on him before he signed.
- Troy Brown looks really good and staff thinks he'll be a late lotto pick. Family not pushing him to leave early.
- Kenny Wooten will remind people of Jordan Bell
- MJ Cage has improved and will challenge for a starting spot this year.
- Paul White and Roman Sorkin both looked better. White has gotten in better shape. Sorkin might never start but he can give the Ducks some solid minutes off the bench.
Last edited by Phenom on Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
thomas time
Senior

Re: Huge Update from 247

Post by thomas time »

I just read this and got excited, sounds like could get three stars at least (hopefully we get at least two).
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Could someone please educate me about these "crystal balls". Sounds like a bunch of self-appointed "insiders" predicting where recruits go? Is it some twitter thing or is there a site or basket that holds and keeps track of all these easter eggs? Honestly sounds pretty sketchy to me. But I'm old enough that I have stock in dirt so there's that...

TIA
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
EncinitasDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by EncinitasDuck »

Some good info but his articles are so poorly written they are painful to read.
alabamaduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by alabamaduck »

EncinitasDuck wrote:Some good info but his articles are so poorly written they are painful to read.
Agreed, his writing is brutal.
Thurston
Two Star Recruit

Post by Thurston »

I've known Prehm since he was a poster on the ESPN message boards (back when they had ESPN message boards) under the name Mopheads way back in the early 2000s. I've gotten to know him over the years. Good dude.

But I've been giving him crap about his writing going on fifteen years now, and I can say with absolute certainty he couldn't care less. This is the internet, where information is more valuable than presentation, and he's bought into that strategy tenfold.

I once told him to hire an editor. He laughed and said he tried, but he quit after reading a few of his pieces. To this day I don't know if he was joking.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Thurston wrote:I've known Prehm since he was a poster on the ESPN message boards (back when they had ESPN message boards) under the name Mopheads way back in the early 2000s. I've gotten to know him over the years. Good dude.

But I've been giving him crap about his writing going on fifteen years now, and I can say with absolute certainty he couldn't care less. This is the internet, where information is more valuable than presentation, and he's bought into that strategy tenfold.

I once told him to hire an editor. He laughed and said he tried, but he quit after reading a few of his pieces. To this day I don't know if he was joking.
It's true... Until you have competition that has the same info. Then quality matters.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Just realized that it has gone behind a paywall now. I can share some the info with ya'll.

- Oregon will have 5-6 schollys available
- Dort will visit Oregon during the Nebraska game and could commit then or shortly after. ASU is our biggest competitor
- Oregon leads for Emmit Williams and he expects us to land him and sign in November.
- We also lead for Louis King. His mom loves us.
- Recruiting Jordan Brown hard but we are not in the drivers season
- We cooled on Simi Shittu a bit because apparently him and Barrett don't get along and we think we have a real shot there. He will still likely visit.
- Bol Bol will visit Oregon
- We are at least in RJ Barrett's top 3 (with Duke and Kentucky). Some think we lead. He's friends with current and former Ducks and guys from this recruiting class. He will visit in October.
- If Oregon takes Shittu we probably won't get Barrett.
- Remain players for Jules Bernard, Eric Ayala, Kamaka Hepa, Isaiah Mucius, etc.
- Oregon will get SJSU transfer Brandon Clarke if they push for him. He'll have to sit out this year and play next.
- Staff is very excited about Miles Norris. He compares to Boucher.
- Class of 2019: Greg Anthony's son, Cole, is interested in the Ducks and Greg likes Altman's player development
- Kigab will be a steal. He can do everything. Others schools upset they didn't get on him before he signed.
- Troy Brown looks really good and staff thinks he'll be a late lotto pick. Family not pushing him to leave early.
- Kenny Wooten will remind people of Jordan Bell
- MJ Cage has improved and will challenge for a starting spot this year.
- Paul White and Roman Sorkin both looked better. White has gotten in better shape. Sorkin might never start but he can give the Ducks some solid minutes off the bench.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Much appreciated, Phenom.
polyduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by polyduck »

You're the man Phenom! Appreciate the bball updates.

Fa'fetai lava! (Thank you, in Samoan)

GO Ducks!
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Some pretty good stuff there. If there's one thing that can make me overlook Prehm's writing shortcomings, it's that he's really connected on his BB info.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

greenyellow wrote:Some pretty good stuff there. If there's one thing that can make me overlook Prehm's writing shortcomings, it's that he's really connected on his BB info.
Thank you Phenom!!

Funny! I was cautiously optimistic when I was reading that because I was thinking the exact opposite. Matt is usually really over optimistic about our chances with hoop recruits. Guys like Murray, McCoy, and Papaginnas were all "locks" at one point per 247.
For example, take the McCoy situation. There was tons of information out there indicating he was cooling on us 2 weeks before he committed. Another example is Shittu. On 247, there were rumors flying around a few months ago that he was basically a lock, yet if you look at his interviews with "non-Oregon" media, he has not once mentioned Oregon. He only mentions Oregon when someone with Oregon ties asks him about Oregon. I don't think there is serious interest there on his part.

Barrett would be an amazing grab, but it is still a long shot. I don't see any way Shittu comes to Oregon. I would love to be wrong, because he is my favorite player in the class. I do think we do have a legit shot of landing Dort, King, and/or Williams.

There is some good info in there, so not trying to bag, just taking the optimism with a grain of salt if it comes from 247.
mattc94
Four Star Recruit

Post by mattc94 »

I subscribe to Jhop. So you probably can guess my feelings on Matt. Jhop doesn't have a ton of hoops info but he is usually correct with it. He knew Bigby-Williams was gone months before it happened. But the gap between the two groups is cartoonish.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Exciting next few months for Oregon basketball. Are we going to land someone who isn't a 5-star prospect lol? This class is going to be silly.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Thanks Phenom.

I'm also quite excited for Miles Norris.

Worried about our bigs this year and still don't understand WTF happened with McCoy to UNLV($$$$$$)....

I think Paul White and Payton Pritchard will be major keys this year as returning players. From what I saw from Kigab, he's a beast on the boards for his size.

Still think Barrett ends up at UK as Cal and co are putting on the full court press, but sounds like we are in on a LOT of top level guys this class and that's very exciting.