Exhibition: Northwest Christian @ Oregon (Mon oct 30 7pm)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Re: Exhibition: Northwest Christian @ Oregon (Mon oct 30 7pm

Post by duckduckgoose »

GrandpaDuck wrote:Wooten wears anti gravity boots. He lifts off so effortlessly and seems to float.
Bailey is a high flier too! The picture of Bailey in Algers ten takeaways from the game is pretty impressive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

Troy Brown isn’t a high flier, but boy is he a good passer! Nine assists to lead the team tonight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

The Ducks did what they should against an overmatched opponent, and looked good doing it. One flaw was 3 point defense, didn't appear to be any. the Beacons cooled down, but didn't seem to be due to anything the Ducks did. Overall of course the defense was solid. Most of the players don't have to adjust to playing w/o the shot blocking that Bell & Boucher provided because they weren't a part of the team. The really good thing about this is that Altman places a heavy emphasis on team defense, and the depth on this team will make that even better.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Lot of pieces. Weaknesses will be size/rebounding. I think defense will actually be decent by midseason as the athletes are there for it.

Roman Sorkin is a viable Pac-12 big now. Not an all-star, but his defensive stance and footwork is much better that he will be useful against everyone outside of Metu and the Arizona guys.

Troy Brown has a ridiculous handle for his size.

Everyone was impressive to me except for Kigab, who looked super raw and lost on defense.
duck92
Two Star Recruit

Post by duck92 »

I didn't see any mention of cage, safe to assume he's still on the fence about playing this year?
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Per Altman, " Stepped away from the program" to evaluate his options.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

GrantDuck wrote:Lot of pieces. Weaknesses will be size/rebounding. I think defense will actually be decent by midseason as the athletes are there for it.

Roman Sorkin is a viable Pac-12 big now. Not an all-star, but his defensive stance and footwork is much better that he will be useful against everyone outside of Metu and the Arizona guys.

Everyone was impressive to me except for Kigab, who looked super raw and lost on defense.
Thanks for all the reviews about the performance of various Ducks. I'm angry in that I'm afraid I didn't get it recorded to watch even though I thought I had set it up.

Very happy to hear what you say about Sorkin. I only saw his stats that showed 6-9 shooting and 4 rebounds in 19 minutes, and I was pretty happy with that; I knew nothing about his defense in the game. Realize, though: You run the risk of raising the ire of Kyle's Brother when you suggest that Sorkin might in any way actually add value to this year's Duck squad.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Greenblood wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:Lot of pieces. Weaknesses will be size/rebounding. I think defense will actually be decent by midseason as the athletes are there for it.

Thanks for all the reviews about the performance of various Ducks. I'm angry in that I'm afraid I didn't get it recorded to watch even though I thought I had set it up.

Very happy to hear what you say about Sorkin. I only saw his stats that showed 6-9 shooting and 4 rebounds in 19 minutes, and I was pretty happy with that; I knew nothing about his defense in the game. Realize, though: You run the risk of raising the ire of Kyle's Brother when you suggest that Sorkin might in any way actually add value to this year's Duck squad.
Sorkin also had 2 blocks and was regularly switching on to wings and able to stay in front of them for the most part and only gave up contested step backs. He'll still get overpowered inside against top tier bigs, but he'll be able to help for sure this season.

We're going to press a lot this season and be 9-10 deep, that's also clear.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

GrantDuck wrote:
Greenblood wrote:

Sorkin also had 2 blocks and was regularly switching on to wings and able to stay in front of them for the most part and only gave up contested step backs. He'll still get overpowered inside against top tier bigs, but he'll be able to help for sure this season.

I'd love for that to end up being true. I keep hoping for more depth, but it seems like Altman always settles for a main rotation of about 7, even when I think there could be more involved. Obviously, it's not that I don't think he knows what he's doing to have a successful college basketball program; it's just that I feel like the more players that are getting decent minutes, the less chance we'll have unhappy players thinking about transferring, as well as being a little less weakened as a team when injuries happen. I'm hoping it's just been simply a matter of not having enough quality players he can trust out there until now.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Greenblood wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:
Greenblood wrote:

I'd love for that to end up being true. I keep hoping for more depth, but it seems like Altman always settles for a main rotation of about 7, even when I think there could be more involved. Obviously, it's not that I don't think he knows what he's doing to have a successful college basketball program; it's just that I feel like the more players that are getting decent minutes, the less chance we'll have unhappy players thinking about transferring, as well as being a little less weakened as a team when injuries happen. I'm hoping it's just been simply a matter of not having enough quality players he can trust out there until now.

I have felt the same way about Altman and his rotations, but I think GrantDuck is right about this and hopefully planning for next year's roster. This team is full of length and players with similar skill sets; subbing will not see a drop off on either end of the floor.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

The only guys I could see getting left out of the rotation at this point are Keith Smith(offensive issues) or Kigab(defensive issues).

Bailey might have some games where he sits quite a bit simply because Pritchard/Brown/Brown are all very good and can handle the ball and play off the ball.

However, I think we'll need Smith for his defense and Kigab for his rebounding, so I think we will be 10 deep as of today. At least 8-9 deep most games.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Forgot to record the game, but overall looks like we played great. Can't wait for the season to start in a week! :)

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

GrantDuck wrote:The only guys I could see getting left out of the rotation at this point are Keith Smith(offensive issues) or Kigab(defensive issues).

Bailey might have some games where he sits quite a bit simply because Pritchard/Brown/Brown are all very good and can handle the ball and play off the ball.

However, I think we'll need Smith for his defense and Kigab for his rebounding, so I think we will be 10 deep as of today. At least 8-9 deep most games.
I’d like to see them play all ten guys, go for forty minutes of hell with three quarter court press. Bailey at the head of the press would cause a ton of headaches for the opposition. He’s tall and a quick leaper, would be very disruptive in that role.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk