WBB loses three to the portal

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

WBB loses three to the portal

Post by greenyellow »

In more concerning signs with the WBB program, Grace Vanslooten, Chance Gray, and Kennedy Basham have all announced they're entering the portal. That's now the entire 2022 class gone from the roster and 8 open scholarships for Graves to fill. Hard to see him surviving much longer.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Re: WBB loses three to the portal

Post by GrandpaDuck »

There is bad years and then there is this one.
whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

Gotta believe that, with women’s bball growing in popularity and several seasons of bad to god-awful bball, Graves is done. Go get a coach who understands the 2024 bball landscape.

Graves gave us a lot to love from 2017-2020, but whatever magic he had, I think it’s safe to say he’s lost it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

He hadn't lost his HS recruiting. He has the highest percentage of blue chip recruits of any program at the school but he has a monster of a problem in player retention.

If that problem is him or an assistant he wont let go then he needs to be gone.

If the problem is institutional in Oregon NIL not paying market value to retain 5 star players then cutting him loose wont help. If that is the case Oregon needs to quit recruiting McDonald All-Americans and go for mid-players that will stick around and form a cohesive team that might make a sweet 16 run on occasion.

OSU who has a great coach has been mid-level for several years now due to transfers, until this year when they retained their star recruits from last year and made an elite 8 run. By the way Rueck had like 3 players in 20 years transfer out until the transfer pool. Since then he hasn't been able to keep a single of his many 5 star recruits thru their complete eligibility.

What is frustrating for me as a message board AD is how little info is out there on the cause of the retention problem. Usually it is widely known. That said, if they could secure Mark Campbell I'd be all in on a change even if it isn't Graves fault as age wise it might be time to snatch a younger coach for the longer term good of the program while we are at such a low point.
duck92
Two Star Recruit

Post by duck92 »

It's not only the ducks that this is happening to. Colorado lost 4 of their 5 2023 recruits. I agree with you; that there is no real info coming out about why he can't retain recruits, it could be NIL. Or it could be a million other factors, geography is playing some part, as most are transferring closer to home. It's been a few years since he's recruited a true high school point guard, let's hope Katie Fiso solves a lot of problems.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

duck92 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:02 am It's not only the ducks that this is happening to. Colorado lost 4 of their 5 2023 recruits. I agree with you; that there is no real info coming out about why he can't retain recruits, it could be NIL. Or it could be a million other factors, geography is playing some part, as most are transferring closer to home. It's been a few years since he's recruited a true high school point guard, let's hope Katie Fiso solves a lot of problems.
The close to home thing does seems to be a large factor. I feel like it is a much bigger factor in Women's sports than Men's though I have no study to back that up. It makes you wonder if recruiting all these East of the Mississippi Five Stars was a mistake.

As to HS point guards. Gray was considered a HS point guard, the highest ranked one we've recruited. This year the HS point guard was supposed to be Amari Whiting, until her mother was given the BYU head coaching job with no college coaching experience. Amari turned out to be a solid player in this her Freshman and would have been a huge upgrade for the 5th starting spot.

With Fiso and Peyton the teams weakness this year will probably be next years strength but now there are massive holes in 2 other starting spots and no depth. Graves or whoever needs the resources to NIL in some veteran star transfers to avoid ending up at the bottom in their 1st year in the B1G.

Prince, and Rogers both went back home to Texas schools. Pao Pao was targeted and recruited right off Oregon's roster before she was in the transfer pool by the #1 team in the country who also pays well. Prince had a great year while she was healthy but as always was surrounded by drama.
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

What did Graves in this year was not hitting the transfer portal hard. The transfers were all mid tier schools and never made an impact in this season. Heck we were starting with a walk on at the end of the year.
Worried for next year too because the recruits are relatively unknown. And the transfer in is from Sienna... I mean Chance Gray would be an All American if she played for Sienna

He needs to pray he doesn't lose Philly or Sofia or he will literally have one player with experience left (or none) and a bottom of the conference team.
duck92
Two Star Recruit

Post by duck92 »

Chance Gray to the Buckeyes, Grace is going to Michigan State. There's going to be a lot of awkward hand shake lines next year, Etute had a really good game in the Nike Summit game, Mevius could be the female version of Dalton Knecht, Katie Fiso is rated #31 in the country. It's not near as dark as you make it to be, a couple good transfers and we could be back in the mix
Last edited by duck92 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

GVS is going to hurt. Gray, meh, Basham had potential. KG has a very hot seat right now.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine