UCLA BB players arrested in China

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

duckfan22
Senior

Re: UCLA BB players arrested in China

Post by duckfan22 »

17-18 year olds are perfectly capable of beeing foolish and showing poor judgement
without the aide of alcohol.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
woundedknees wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:Is there any indication if the kids were intoxicated at all? I have a hard time imagining them doing something so stupid without the help of alcohol.
Not that alcohol is an excuse.

One stupid decision doesn't justify more of the same.
It’s definitely not an excuse, just can’t imagine someone doing something so foolish unless if their judgement was impaired by alcohol.
Well in the case of trying to steal something from a store, I'd lean more towards alcohol not being involved and it being more of a compulsive behavior. Stealing a laptop from a frat house would make me think alcohol was involved. I worked at VRC one winter term and without fail it seemed like every visiting M/W BB team would end up walking through the mall in small groups and always in matching team jumpsuits.
DrBradBuss
Junior
GM: Detroit Pistons GM

Post by DrBradBuss »

LiAngelo is no kid. He's almost 19. He knows the difference between right and wrong and illegal. I'm guessing he's known for damn near a decade that it's not okay to steal.
I love it when people want to give others a pass for bad behavior they call them "kids."
wepto
Four Star Recruit

Post by wepto »

DrBradBuss wrote:LiAngelo is no kid. He's almost 19. He knows the difference between right and wrong and illegal. I'm guessing he's known for damn near a decade that it's not okay to steal.
I love it when people want to give others a pass for bad behavior they call them "kids."
There's a bit of middle ground between 'a pass' and a potential decade in a Chinese prison.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

DrBradBuss wrote:LiAngelo is no kid. He's almost 19. He knows the difference between right and wrong and illegal. I'm guessing he's known for damn near a decade that it's not okay to steal.
They are kids, it's not a pass, but if you have never did anything dumbass as a 15 to 22 year old feel free to speak up. I know I did a couple things looking back and shaking my head about....... that's what kids do...they do know right from wrong and should get disciplined....by UCLA and their parents...not a Chinese prison or public caning....which could happen.
BlackbirdDuck
One Star Recruit

Post by BlackbirdDuck »

Alan wrote:
They are kids, it's not a pass, but if you have never did anything dumbass as a 15 to 22 year old feel free to speak up. I know I did a couple things looking back and shaking my head about....... that's what kids do...they do know right from wrong and should get disciplined....by UCLA and their parents...not a Chinese prison or public caning....which could happen.
Why are these US citizens different from any other tourist in China?
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

BlackbirdDuck wrote:
Alan wrote:
Why are these US citizens different from any other tourist in China?
Not talking about raised privileged young athletes, strictly talking about dumbass kids doing dumb things... I would feel the same if it was a 19 yr old "Joe Nobody".
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

Its universal knowledge not to steal and that stealing is against the law in which ever country you visited. So if they are guilty, they did not break the law as a result of cultural differences or misunderstandings in a foreign country.

So if a group of college Chinese basketball players come to participate in an exhibition game in the US and a few of them walk into a Louis Vuitton store and steal some items, they shouldn't have to go to prison in the US and should be allowed to go back to China to be disciplined by their parents and their school?

At their ages, if they stole in the US they would be treated as adults in the court of law. So I don't see how they can be considered kids in this case just because they're in a foreign country. Also, Chinese prison are not that bad and not violent if you're respectful and quiet and just serve out your time. There is also no public caning in China nowadays.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

They will be fine. I heard they yelled “diplomatic immunity” like in Lethal Weapon 2, as they were running out the door of LV. Therefore they will be set free with no punishment.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

alxtw wrote:So if a group of college Chinese basketball players come to participate in an exhibition game in the US and a few of them walk into a Louis Vuitton store and steal some items, they shouldn't have to go to prison in the US and should be allowed to go back to China to be disciplined by their parents and their school?
Yes

But that openes another conversation I won't take part in much of the discussion. who is more likely to be a theft, a group of American college kids or a group of Chinese college kids? I wonder if it was Chinese kids, who would they fear most, the U.S. court system or having to go back to China and face school administrators, coaches and parents?
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Dumb, dumber, and Dumber-er, if true...

Arash Markazi‏ @ArashMarkazi

A source familiar with the investigation says there is surveillance footage of the players shoplifting from three stores inside of a high-end shopping center next to the team’s hotel in Hangzhou, which includes Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Yves Saint Laurent and Salvatore Ferragamo.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/ ... id=UE07DHP
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

nogerO
Senior

Uh Oh!

Post by nogerO »

I hope the stupid entitled dumb assses spend some time in jail...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

The average height in China is about 5'6". These guys are all 6'5" or taller and black. Did they think they wouldn't be noticed?
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

UCLA basketball team is in route home from China, minus three players. China is hanging on to them for what sounds like at least two weeks. Sounds like they are still confined to the hotel.