PK80 Tournament Thread

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Re: PK80 Tournament Thread

Post by greenyellow »

They need to find a way to get Troy Brown going as it seems he just disappears at times. He had a great first half but did almost nothing the second half, although some of that could be attributed to Bailey playing well.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

I've got full faith in Dana to coach these guys up, so for me this part of the season is about getting the guys to gel and be a real team. I think wins like tonight help that immensely. Great tough win, obviously tons to work on but I like the bounce-back gritty victory.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

I was looking for a go-to guy. I think we found him.
Woo! Great to see Elijah Brown playing well. Also, super excited about Bailey and Wooten. They're guys you can build a program around. Maybe T. Brown too if he stays.

We are really lacking bigs. It seems like Altman doesn't trust Cage or Sorkin in crunch time.
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

greenyellow wrote:They need to find a way to get Troy Brown going as it seems he just disappears at times. He had a great first half but did almost nothing the second half, although some of that could be attributed to Bailey playing well.
Troy Brown was on the bench most of the second half. That's why he disappeared, he didn't go in until Wooten fouled out. Not sure why, he must have pissed Dana off
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Tray Dub wrote:I've got full faith in Dana to coach these guys up, so for me this part of the season is about getting the guys to gel and be a real team. I think wins like tonight help that immensely. Great tough win, obviously tons to work on but I like the bounce-back gritty victory.
Yep, going in to the OT the Ducks took control, Maric was a dominant force in regulation but wasn't a factor in overtime. Still need to get much better in the paint on both ends.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

brich75 wrote:
greenyellow wrote:They need to find a way to get Troy Brown going as it seems he just disappears at times. He had a great first half but did almost nothing the second half, although some of that could be attributed to Bailey playing well.
Troy Brown was on the bench most of the second half. That's why he disappeared, he didn't go in until Wooten fouled out. Not sure why, he must have pissed Dana off
Bailey and Pritchard were playing well so I could see why Dana didn't want to take them out. Plus, I think he was still trying to get Elijah going so that further cut into Troy's minutes. Against smaller lineups, I think Oregon is better served going to a 4 guard lineup, with PP, TB, EB, VB, and Paul White being a really good group. McIntosh can play as a post but only in limited situations. They do need to get better contributions from Kigab, Smith, and the rest of the bench.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Tray Dub wrote:I've got full faith in Dana to coach these guys up, so for me this part of the season is about getting the guys to gel and be a real team. I think wins like tonight help that immensely. Great tough win, obviously tons to work on but I like the bounce-back gritty victory.
I do too, but right now this team isn't looking like an NCAA tournament team. I think by the time we hit Pac-12 play we will be getting it together.

But we do got to keep in mind how much our talent level has dipped down. McIntosh, White, Elijah Brown are no Dorsey, Brooks, Bell, or Boucher.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Would be great to beat Oklahoma on Sunday.

OG Duck
Two Star Recruit

Post by OG Duck »

Lightning Strikes wrote:I'm not an Elijah Brown fan. He doesn't do much defensively and he's not as good of a shooter as he thinks he is.
It's tough to find your role on a new team when you were "The Man" on your old team. He'll hit is stride - don't you worry.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Agreed. It's going to be hard to get real frustrated with the team considering the circumstances. Should be a fun year watching them gel and grow up. Thank goodness for Dana.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

It's good to be able to win ugly even if that was a rough game to watch.

I'm not going to criticize Pritchard early in the season for overdribbling or trying to do too much when it seems like most everyone else is unsure of themselves right now. He has to be a facilitator first on offense and scorer 2nd. Troy Brown might have scored 11 in the first half on 3/3 but it was a bad half for him overall and it was just a poor game for Elijah Brown outside of a good outlet pass he took to the hoop.

I think Victor Bailey might start soon at the 2 over Elijah. He's a more active defender which is desperately needed against aggressive guards and while college rotations aren't like the NBA, I think it might give Elijah more confidence to run the 2nd unit so we can try and set Troy up for easier looks rather than having him handle the ball too much.

This is a team that has to focus on defense for 40 minutes straight because it's not good enough offensively to have lapses in play and give up easy buckets. I think Wooten looks to have the highest ceiling for us defensively among our Bigs. His 4th foul for "over the back" (there is no such foul) was utter nonsense and on the other end I saw him get some good positioning in the post but PP and others didn't look to feed it to him. We need to have some of that inside balance on offense if we're going to rely on the 3 this year.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

UOducksTK1 wrote:But we do got to keep in mind how much our talent level has dipped down. McIntosh, White, Elijah Brown are no Dorsey, Brooks, Bell, or Boucher.
Personally, I don't think the difference between this year's team and last year's is talent per se, but rather experienced talent. But I also wouldn't debate the point that strongly.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Greenblood wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:But we do got to keep in mind how much our talent level has dipped down. McIntosh, White, Elijah Brown are no Dorsey, Brooks, Bell, or Boucher.
Personally, I don't think the difference between this year's team and last year's is talent per se, but rather experienced talent. But I also wouldn't debate the point that strongly.
At least for me, it's really hard to tell how talented this team is. There's too much sloppy, inexperienced basketball to get a real feel for what the potential is for these guys (other than Pritchard, I feel like I've got a good sense of what kind of player he is (a very good one)). I just don't know how much talent per se (to use your phrasing) there is yet.

Some of you guys are closer/more knowledgeable (and sometimes just more opinionated ;) ) observers than me, I'm curious to hear what kind of talent per se other people think we have after the watching the first few weeks of the season.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Greenblood wrote:
Don’t think is true. White and McIntosh will never be like Bell or Brooks. There’s a reason they are in the nba and why our new guys won’t be. I like what they add to the team but different talent levels imo.

Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

OU 48 UO 40. So, Ducks get off to a good start, lead 14-6 before OK goes on an 11-0 run to take a lead they have managed to hang on to. The Ducks had good ball movement early, kind of got away from that as they fell behind. No player has really stood out for the Ducks. They are going to the basket , but not finishing, while the Sooners were much more efficient. Neither defense is having a big impact, if the Ducks can just finish betterthey have a great chance in this one.