Bell says to "stop comparing."

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Merganzer
Senior

Bell says to "stop comparing."

Post by Merganzer »

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.s ... regon.html

"I keep telling people to stop comparing them to last year's team," Bell said. "Stop comparing me to Kenny. Stop comparing everybody to people who went there before. Just let them play. I think that's the reason why we were so good is because we didn't have any expectations."
I have nothing but respect for Jordan Bell. But I think he's wrong; about his freshman year, and this years team. Somewhere during the 2014-15 season he and his teammates definitely galvanized and expected to win every time they went on the court. Two weeks ago, this year's team swept the Washington schools by an average of 26 points; and with the chance to turn the season around instead played like a team that "didn't have any expectations." That lack of expectations that Bell sees as allowing the team to fly, instead created a team that has gone through the season in disjointed motion.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Re: Bell says to "stop comparing."

Post by pudgejeff »

Merganzer wrote:http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.s ... regon.html

"I keep telling people to stop comparing them to last year's team," Bell said. "Stop comparing me to Kenny. Stop comparing everybody to people who went there before. Just let them play. I think that's the reason why we were so good is because we didn't have any expectations."
I have nothing but respect for Jordan Bell. But I think he's wrong; about his freshman year, and this years team. Somewhere during the 2014-15 season he and his teammates definitely galvanized and expected to win every time they went on the court. Two weeks ago, this year's team swept the Washington schools by an average of 26 points; and with the chance to turn the season around instead played like a team that "didn't have any expectations." That lack of expectations that Bell sees as allowing the team to fly, instead created a team that has gone through the season in disjointed motion.
Hahahahahaha
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

They’re a completely different team at home vs on the road which is quite common for a team so reliant on young/new to the system talent. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them sweep the Zona schools this weekend and then drop a game in Washington next week.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I love Bell but they didn’t have any expectations? High preseason rankings and fans talking about a trip to the Final Four isn’t expectations? Not sure I agree with him.

However I do agree with the point about comparing Wooten to him. I hate that. I made that point many times when people compared Herbert to Marcus, let players be themselves, let Wooten be Wooten.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

OregonFan4Life wrote:I love Bell but they didn’t have any expectations? High preseason rankings and fans talking about a trip to the Final Four isn’t expectations? Not sure I agree with him.

However I do agree with the point about comparing Wooten to him. I hate that. I made that point many times when people compared Herbert to Marcus, let players be themselves, let Wooten be Wooten.
To me that's what he was saying, we weren't saying Jordan should be this guy, or Dillon should be this, they were just loved and applauded for all they were doing.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

OregonFan4Life wrote:I love Bell but they didn’t have any expectations? High preseason rankings and fans talking about a trip to the Final Four isn’t expectations? Not sure I agree with him.

He's talking about when they were first and second year players at UO.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Gotcha, that makes more sense. But still, when you come into a team experiencing success, expectations are just inevitable.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Gotcha, that makes more sense. But still, when you come into a team experiencing success, expectations are just inevitable.
This is what I was thinking. Successful teams have expectations of success, they should not be shielded from them,but embrace the challenge until it becomes the norm.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

Merganzer wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:Gotcha, that makes more sense. But still, when you come into a team experiencing success, expectations are just inevitable.
This is what I was thinking. Successful teams have expectations of success, they should not be shielded from them,but embrace the challenge until it becomes the norm.
You often hear blue-blood program's coaches use that as a recruiting tool. "Come here and you'll compete for championships, if you don't want to work towards that, this is not the place for you." Sabin and Cal say it all the time. The effect is every year the team is compared to the excellence of prior seasons.