Well, the shizz is really hitting the fan in CBB

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Re: Well, the shizz is really hitting the fan in CBB

Post by ducks5ever »

Anything come out about Brandon McCoy? That was a truly bizarre recruiting story....
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

bellsduck wrote:
alxtw wrote:Can't imagine overall landscape of football recruiting being any more clean than that of basketball. What might help alleviate the problem a little is the greedy NCAA should start paying athletes, which they should have implemented a long time ago. But that will never happen because once they start doing that that will open the door to a whole other set of problems for the NCAA and its fat profits.
This solution always makes me laugh. What is your plan for doing that? And then what is your plan to keep shady programs from continuing to pay extra over and above what they are supposed to?
For God sake, just let players go to the NBA if they think they're ready. And enforce the rules. All these programs that get caught should face major penalties. No tourney. No scholarships. Loss of revenue. Maybe the death penalty.
It doesn't make sense to pay the players. I remember writing a paper in college about whether college athletes should be paid. My intention going in was to prove that they should but after doing some research it just doesn't make sense. On the surface people will say "look how much that program makes off the players" which is ostensibly true but to a much lesser extent than it would appear. Only about 75 total teams make money in all of college sports. The power 5 football teams, the top 25 basketball teams and then a handful of women's bball and gymnastics squads surprising enough. All of the other sports and schools lose money with their other sports programs. With the implementation of Title IX it makes it nearly impossible to pay football/basketball players anything of substance because then every other athlete will file a grievance to be paid as well.

The only real solutions; would be to cut down on the salaries of coaches and instead use whatever the coaches salary would be in say a brokerage account that each player gets a % cut of upon graduation. What I think is the best solution, is to allow the players to use their own likeness. There will certainly be shady practices that go on, such as Alabama's star QB getting an excessive amount to appear at an event or in a local commercial but realistically the players who are/will be making money for their respective schools will in turn be making money for themselves as well. It essentially weeds out the imbalances of the NCAA rules and title IX because you won't be seeing a women's tennis player from Tulsa in commercials but you'll see: Tim Tebow, Deandre Ayton etc.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

lukeyrid13 wrote:
bellsduck wrote:
alxtw wrote:Can't imagine overall landscape of football recruiting being any more clean than that of basketball. What might help alleviate the problem a little is the greedy NCAA should start paying athletes, which they should have implemented a long time ago. But that will never happen because once they start doing that that will open the door to a whole other set of problems for the NCAA and its fat profits.
This solution always makes me laugh. What is your plan for doing that? And then what is your plan to keep shady programs from continuing to pay extra over and above what they are supposed to?
For God sake, just let players go to the NBA if they think they're ready. And enforce the rules. All these programs that get caught should face major penalties. No tourney. No scholarships. Loss of revenue. Maybe the death penalty.
It doesn't make sense to pay the players. I remember writing a paper in college about whether college athletes should be paid. My intention going in was to prove that they should but after doing some research it just doesn't make sense. On the surface people will say "look how much that program makes off the players" which is ostensibly true but to a much lesser extent than it would appear. Only about 75 total teams make money in all of college sports. The power 5 football teams, the top 25 basketball teams and then a handful of women's bball and gymnastics squads surprising enough. All of the other sports and schools lose money with their other sports programs. With the implementation of Title IX it makes it nearly impossible to pay football/basketball players anything of substance because then every other athlete will file a grievance to be paid as well.

The only real solutions; would be to cut down on the salaries of coaches and instead use whatever the coaches salary would be in say a brokerage account that each player gets a % cut of upon graduation. What I think is the best solution, is to allow the players to use their own likeness. There will certainly be shady practices that go on, such as Alabama's star QB getting an excessive amount to appear at an event or in a local commercial but realistically the players who are/will be making money for their respective schools will in turn be making money for themselves as well. It essentially weeds out the imbalances of the NCAA rules and title IX because you won't be seeing a women's tennis player from Tulsa in commercials but you'll see: Tim Tebow, Deandre Ayton etc.
Letting them jump straight to the NBA was a great option for elite players but that would be a lose-lose situation for both the NCAA and NBA. The longer they're in NCAA the more revenue for the NCAA and its also great for NBA teams. NBA team reduce their risk on drafting recruits and gets even more time to evaluate prospects and get more developed prospects for no increase in costs on their ends. If the NBA had a development league for graduating HS players, like in baseball, that could be a feasible solution.

Owning their likeness and rights would certainly be great and you're point how that eliminates any athletes suing for unequal pay is excellent. It bewilders me why more kids don't go overseas for 3-4 months to play, get paid legally, and face good competition. (Perhaps even tougher competition in certain Europe leagues)
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

The ability of an athlete to profit from his own likeness would put all schools located in a small market at a huge disadvantage. Appearance fees in Seattle would be much higher than Pullman. USC and UCLA already get a big boost from their location, imagine if they could ask a recruit "Would you like to be in the movies?".