NIT Baby!

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Re: NIT Baby!

Post by duckduckgoose »

cordy02c wrote:We don't deserve the nit
Why is that? If we don’t deserve a NIT bid does Washington, who we beat twice handily? What about ASU? What is your reasoning for that statement?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Yeah I feel like NIT was made for teams like us.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

I think if Oregon dropped that game last night to WSU, you could make an argument that they should be left out of the NIT.

Teams battling for NIT bids - UCLA, Utah, Oregon, Washington, and Stanford. What about ASU?

UCLA and Utah are both clearly more deserving than Oregon. They finished above the Ducks in the conference standings AND have better RPI and SOS numbers. Plus they both beat the Ducks.

Oregon has a clear advantage over UW. They beat them twice, finished above them in conference play, plus UW choked last night and lost in the first round to the Beavers.

Stanford is interesting. Their RPI is crap, but they finished above Oregon in conference play and have won 6 of their last 7 games. I think you could make an argument either way here.

Is ASU in the NCAA tourney?? Their RPI is down to 65. They finished 8th in th conference. They have lost 6 of their last 7 games, with the only win coming against Cal. Honestly, they should be NIT bound too.

Can UCLA sneak into the NCAAs?

This is actually going to be pretty interesting.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

northbeachsf wrote:I think if Oregon dropped that game last night to WSU, you could make an argument that they should be left out of the NIT.

Teams battling for NIT bids - UCLA, Utah, Oregon, Washington, and Stanford. What about ASU?

UCLA and Utah are both clearly more deserving than Oregon. They finished above the Ducks in the conference standings AND have better RPI and SOS numbers. Plus they both beat the Ducks.

Oregon has a clear advantage over UW. They beat them twice, finished above them in conference play, plus UW choked last night and lost in the first round to the Beavers.

Stanford is interesting. Their RPI is crap, but they finished above Oregon in conference play and have won 6 of their last 7 games. I think you could make an argument either way here.

Is ASU in the NCAA tourney?? Their RPI is down to 65. They finished 8th in th conference. They have lost 6 of their last 7 games, with the only win coming against Cal. Honestly, they should be NIT bound too.

Very interesting in the Pac-12 and overall. ASU & Oklahoma are similar. Both started out HOT, ranked in the top 4, until conference play started, and that's the big difference between OK and ASU. The Big 12 schedule gives OK, the 3rd highest SOS, playing in the Pac-12 doesn't provide the SOS for ASU. OK's best win is over Kansas, ASU also beat KU, and Xavier. OK is currently 18-13, 8-10 ASU is 20-11, 8-10. No team has received an At Large invitation with an 8-10 conference record. UCLA does make a good case, 11-7 conference, 20-10, W's over Kentucky, @ AZ. USC is 12-6, 20-10, no notable Non-con W's, swept by UCLA, lost to both AZ & ASU.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I agree, it will be interesting. I think the tournament wants more than 3 Pac 12 schools, so that may be why ASU is still showing up in projections. They really have no business in the Dance given how they finished in league play. I would have thought the Fuskies would sneak in instead, up until they lost to the Beavers. I think they will take a hard look at Utah, especially if they beat the ducks.

Not to sound defeatist, but I think the ducks should be in the NIT. I'm not sure I even want them in the NCAA tournament, the way they have played this season. Better to get a more evenly-matched game and work on making the team better for next year.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Phalanx wrote:I agree, it will be interesting. I think the tournament wants more than 3 Pac 12 schools, so that may be why ASU is still showing up in projections. They really have no business in the Dance given how they finished in league play. I would have thought the Fuskies would sneak in instead, up until they lost to the Beavers. I think they will take a hard look at Utah, especially if they beat the ducks.

Not to sound defeatist, but I think the ducks should be in the NIT. I'm not sure I even want them in the NCAA tournament, the way they have played this season. Better to get a more evenly-matched game and work on making the team better for next year.
I had reset my expectations of what this team was capable earlier and figured that NIT would be best for those reasons. If we do something stupid like win the P12 and force our way into the tournament though I'm totally going to expect at least the Sweet 16 :lol:
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

Merganzer wrote:
northbeachsf wrote:I think if Oregon dropped that game last night to WSU, you could make an argument that they should be left out of the NIT.

Very interesting in the Pac-12 and overall. ASU & Oklahoma are similar. Both started out HOT, ranked in the top 4, until conference play started, and that's the big difference between OK and ASU. The Big 12 schedule gives OK, the 3rd highest SOS, playing in the Pac-12 doesn't provide the SOS for ASU. OK's best win is over Kansas, ASU also beat KU, and Xavier. OK is currently 18-13, 8-10 ASU is 20-11, 8-10. No team has received an At Large invitation with an 8-10 conference record. UCLA does make a good case, 11-7 conference, 20-10, W's over Kentucky, @ AZ. USC is 12-6, 20-10, no notable Non-con W's, swept by UCLA, lost to both AZ & ASU.
So weird how Kansas lost consecutive games to UW (in MO) and (at home) ASU. I wonder if the committee might look at those losses as "flukish" and not give ASU as much credit as one would think when they make their Dance decisions.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Nice win. That should at least seal the NIT bid.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

cordy02c wrote:We don't deserve the nit

Wow 22 wins and we don't deserve the nit? Give it a rest
cordy02c
Senior

Post by cordy02c »

I said that in the first half last night obviously I was wrong
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Getting even more interesting. Oregon just moved by ASU in the RPI rankings and is included in bubble watch on both CBS and SI. Could a win tonight actually sneak them in??
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

northbeachsf wrote:Getting even more interesting. Oregon just moved by ASU in the RPI rankings and is included in bubble watch on both CBS and SI. Could a win tonight actually sneak them in??
No, wouldn't be enough. If you take out the wazzu loss earlier, I would say maybe then. But we are still like mid 60s RPI right now. Even with win over USC and then a loss to Arizona, our RPI would be high 50s at best. Not happening.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
northbeachsf wrote:Getting even more interesting. Oregon just moved by ASU in the RPI rankings and is included in bubble watch on both CBS and SI. Could a win tonight actually sneak them in??
No, wouldn't be enough. If you take out the wazzu loss earlier, I would say maybe then. But we are still like mid 60s RPI right now. Even with win over USC and then a loss to Arizona, our RPI would be high 50s at best. Not happening.

I think UCLA gets it done vs UA. It's time to finish off SC, we should be 2-0 vs them but the team has let them off the hook both times.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
On the crawler at the bottom of the screen, Lunardi has Oregon in First Four Out.