Pac-12 Tournament: Oregon vs USC (Fri 8:30 PM FS1)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Re: Pac-12 Tournament: Oregon vs USC (Fri 8:30 PM FS1)

Post by ducks5ever »

It's disappointing but the future will be interesting. Someone said we'd have an RPI close to 60. Isn't that good for the NCAA tourney if they take 64 teams?
I'm more interested in seeing Paul White gone honestly.
I've been wondering about this all season long - where is MJ Cage? Is he just not very good?
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

Disappointing loss, but honestly this is a very impressive season given what we've had. I think it's props to Dana Altman for putting this together.
Oregon regular season record - 22-12
UCLA record - 21-11

Although the non-conference schedules are different, UCLA has some pretty good players like Aaron Holiday and Thomas Welch
cordy02c
Senior

Post by cordy02c »

just got to say Macintosh played great this weekend just wish we had seen this more consitently
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

ducks5ever wrote:It's disappointing but the future will be interesting. Someone said we'd have an RPI close to 60. Isn't that good for the NCAA tourney if they take 64 teams?
I'm more interested in seeing Paul White gone honestly.
I've been wondering about this all season long - where is MJ Cage? Is he just not very good?
-You also have to take into account automatic qualifiers from smaller conferences who have lower RPIs, which makes Oregon's RPI too low for the amount of at-large spots remaining.
-White really needs to work on his defense as that was probably the main area he got exposed and why he'd be taken off the court on defense for Wooten.
-Cage had some early injuries, left, and then was never able to crack Oregon's forward/post rotation of McIntosh, White, and Wooten. He was sort of a project coming out of HS so he was always someone who needed a year or two to become serviceable. With who they have coming in, I could easily see him and Keith Smith transferring with Troy Brown leaving early. That'd leave 4 spots remaining to be filled. Altman would likely try to fill at least 2 of those openings with prep players while finding a couple grad transfers for depth purposes. They really need another post player or two and some more wings/guards who can actually score.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Jonah Matthews killed us in regular season, maybe guard him? Just a thought. Anyway, pretty good season for our given roster. Really looking forward to next year!

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

I have to say Dana got this team a lot farther and won more games than I thought this bunch was capable of. Can't wait for next year. NIT? Meh...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

VWatching Troy Brown in action, it boggles the mind that someone so inconsistent can be considered one and done material.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

woundedknees wrote:VWatching Troy Brown in action, it boggles the mind that someone so inconsistent can be considered one and done material.
My thoughts also, IMO not close to being one and done. He may have done better with more experience around him, but still not one and done.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Alan wrote:
woundedknees wrote:VWatching Troy Brown in action, it boggles the mind that someone so inconsistent can be considered one and done material.
My thoughts also, IMO not close to being one and done. He may have done better with more experience around him, but still not one and done.
Pretty much the consensus of opinion on Brown around here, but yet he's been consistently in the middle of projected drafts all season. I think he could honestly be told that he had a great chance of moving up by staying for another year, with what is believed to be a much better team. The "potential" that the NBA drafts for will still be there for him, but he will have a better game presently with another year of college ball?
Last edited by Merganzer on Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UofDuck
Senior

Pac-12 Tournament: Oregon vs USC (Fri 8:30 PM FS1)

Post by UofDuck »

Troy has zero awareness. Gets nod dribble poked from behind regularly, or dribbles straight into the teeth of trouble over and over. Debating him as college level point guard over Peyton is ridiculous. He also turned the ball over on steals at critical times last night. He is nowhere ready to be a field general. Peyton isn’t perfect, but has 10x the value at point.
Last edited by UofDuck on Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I've heard some say (even Altman did this week) that Brown could leave early but then develop while playing in the G-League and earning a paycheck. It'd all be up to Brown and his family as to which path they'd choose.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

greenyellow wrote:I've heard some say (even Altman did this week) that Brown could leave early but then develop while playing in the G-League and earning a paycheck. It'd all be up to Brown and his family as to which path they'd choose.
Dorsey, much more NBA ready, spent the first 2/3 of the season in the G League, but is now getting minutes, sometimes starting, for Atlanta now.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Merganzer wrote:
greenyellow wrote:I've heard some say (even Altman did this week) that Brown could leave early but then develop while playing in the G-League and earning a paycheck. It'd all be up to Brown and his family as to which path they'd choose.
Dorsey, much more NBA ready, spent the first 2/3 of the season in the G League, but is now getting minutes, sometimes starting, for Atlanta now.
I feel like Dorsey could have come back and been a 1st rounder this year but I believe Altman is one coach who will actually develop players better in college than they can typically get next level. Being a key figure on a deep tournament team may also help get him more exposure and better endorsement contracts earlier on too.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Duck07 wrote: I feel like Dorsey could have come back and been a 1st rounder this year but I believe Altman is one coach who will actually develop players better in college than they can typically get next level. Being a key figure on a deep tournament team may also help get him more exposure and better endorsement contracts earlier on too.
Man, Dorsey would have had a massive impact on this team if he had come back.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Not sure Dorsey's stock was going to get much higher after that massive NCAA tournament he had.

As for this game, which I attended, USC was just flat the better team. Their guards were much more experienced and in the right spots at both ends. It didn't help that USC shot well and we didn't, but too many mental mistakes from Oregon.

Also, that foul on Elijiah Brown was absolutely awful, my god....big turning point in momentum....Pac-12 refs were even worse in person, as I watched game after game of pathetic officiating down there in real time watching that tournament.

Anyhow, this team long seemed destined for the NIT. It just felt that way after the PK to me, similar to how I felt they'd be final 4 contenders the previous 2 seasons with all of the talent. Next year feels like it could be a great season, but we have to hope for better chemistry.