NIT: Rider @ Oregon (Tues 7 PM ESPN3)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Kyle's Brother
Three Star Recruit

Re: NIT: Rider @ Oregon (Tues 7 PM ESPN3)

Post by Kyle's Brother »

I get that NBA teams will draft on potential, but I really don't understand why Brown is being billed as a PG. He just isn't one. He's really sloppy with the ball in his hands. He almost never actually plays the point, and when he does I never feel comfortable with him bringing it up the court. He's almost always instantly harrassed into picking up his dribble after he passes the half. It almost seems like people have decided he's a PG because he can't shoot well enough to play as a SG.

I guess I don't really care if he goes. I'd love to watch him develop, but I don't really like a 29% three point shooter at a wing spot in Altman's offense.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Kyle's Brother wrote:I get that NBA teams will draft on potential, but I really don't understand why Brown is being billed as a PG. He just isn't one. He's really sloppy with the ball in his hands. He almost never actually plays the point, and when he does I never feel comfortable with him bringing it up the court. He's almost always instantly harrassed into picking up his dribble after he passes the half. It almost seems like people have decided he's a PG because he can't shoot well enough to play as a SG.

I guess I don't really care if he goes. I'd love to watch him develop, but I don't really like a 29% three point shooter at a wing spot in Altman's offense.
Brown is a solid contributor. He does need to cut down on turnovers and improve his long range shooting. However, don’t ignore all the other things he does extremely well. Most of the time he plays solid defense and is a great rebounder for his size. He is one of the few players on the roster that can actively attack the basket and almost always get a decent shot up. I am willing to be he will be A LOT more aggressive next season, as he will be one of the more experienced players on the roster. I really hope he stays.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

2nd on the team in assists
84 turn overs leads team
55 steals tops on team
2nd in rebounding
I like his game. Needs to spend the off season shooting. Is he ready for NBA
i dont know. Will he go, Money is a tough draw even if in the G league. I would like to
see him with nexts years recruits. He hasnt been their issue this year except for turnovers.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Halftime:
Marquette 27 Harvard 21
Final:
Marquette 67 Harvard 60

3 Oregon @ 2 Marquette :TBA
Kyle's Brother
Three Star Recruit

Post by Kyle's Brother »

northbeachsf wrote:
Kyle's Brother wrote:I get that NBA teams will draft on potential, but I really don't understand why Brown is being billed as a PG. He just isn't one. He's really sloppy with the ball in his hands. He almost never actually plays the point, and when he does I never feel comfortable with him bringing it up the court. He's almost always instantly harrassed into picking up his dribble after he passes the half. It almost seems like people have decided he's a PG because he can't shoot well enough to play as a SG.

Brown is a solid contributor. He does need to cut down on turnovers and improve his long range shooting. However, don’t ignore all the other things he does extremely well. Most of the time he plays solid defense and is a great rebounder for his size. He is one of the few players on the roster that can actively attack the basket and almost always get a decent shot up. I am willing to be he will be A LOT more aggressive next season, as he will be one of the more experienced players on the roster. I really hope he stays.
I wouldn't argue with any of that. Maybe the bit about his defense... I'm not super high on that. But I'm really high on Brown in general. I just don't see him as a PG. I've never understood that.

I think if he stays for another year or two, works on his handles, and fixes his awkward shot from deep he could become a really special college player at the wing.

He's been a good, but definitely not great, player for us so far. Like I said, I wouldn't miss him too much if he left, but I'd love to see him stay and develop.
pairadux
One Star Recruit

Post by pairadux »

northbeachsf wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:Cool to see VJ do that and hopefully it's a sign of things to come for next year.

For the life of me can't figure out why anyone would draft Troy Brown at this point.
From the post-game interview, it sounds like the coaches worked on getting Bailey's shot fixed, namely getting some arc on it after noticing he was basically line-driving shots.
Whatever they did, it worked. Maybe they should try that on everyone else not named Payton Pritchard.

Speaking of line-drive shots.........remember Jamar Curry? That guy would jump like 4 feet in the air, lean back, and fire shots on a rope at 100mph from three point range. I swear the ball never peaked above 9’11”. Then....somehow...the ball would slam into the front of the rim, lose all its momentum, and bounce over and in. I always liked that dude!!!!

He was money with his foot on the line, but if he stepped behind the line three inches, his percentage dropped 20%. Dude could dunk like crazy too.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Troy Brown has a lot of potential at PG, he’s able to see the court much better than Pritchard and can facilitate the offense as well as create his own offense, some areas Pritchard isn’t as good in. Where Pritchard is superior is he isn’t as sloppy as Brown and can shoot better. But honestly, I’ve been puzzled why Altman plays Pritchard at PG mostly. With the exception of the second half yesterday, it just feels like Pritchard passes around the perimeter and steps back to be the “emergency” reset PG and to be back on defense. When he does that, he doesn’t help the offense at all. Plus he doesn’t look to pass inside enough and the offense is very predictable with him, that’s something that doesn’t happen with Troy Brown, though sometimes with Brown it’s unpredictable in a bad way.

Don’t take this as a bashing Pritchard post, I think he’s very good and glad he’s a duck and was a huge reason for the big second half yesterday. I just don’t think he’s an NBA level PG and Troy Brown has much more potential at PG than he does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kyle's Brother
Three Star Recruit

Post by Kyle's Brother »

I think what you're describing is a testament to the fact that we don't have any other ball handlers capable of running the point. If Brown was better with the ball in his hands, he'd be spending more time there.

I'm really not trying to bash Troy Brown. I just think that no one would see him as a potential PG if he hadn't come in from high school with that label. You don't handle the ball that poorly in college and play the point.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

i believe he's showing up as a mid-first rounder in these mocks because scouts love his versatility. i see him more as a combo guard, as opposed to fitting comfortably in a traditional position. with his size and skill if he were a pure point i'm pretty sure he'd be a top 10 lock.

it's entirely possible a team like the clippers, one of the teams he's been connected to in mocks, view him as a starting 2-guard who can take over ball handling duties in an as-needed basis when the second unit comes in. have you seen some of the backup point guards in the league right now? several teams don't have/use one, they just run a point-forward and iso everything. hell, some teams do they with their starting unit. i don't think troy brown needs to be john stockton to earn some minutes handling the ball.

also helps that he can probably defend the 1-3.
ImageImageImageImageImage
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

oregontrack wrote:i believe he's showing up as a mid-first rounder in these mocks because scouts love his versatility. i see him more as a combo guard, as opposed to fitting comfortably in a traditional position. with his size and skill if he were a pure point i'm pretty sure he'd be a top 10 lock.

it's entirely possible a team like the clippers, one of the teams he's been connected to in mocks, view him as a starting 2-guard who can take over ball handling duties in an as-needed basis when the second unit comes in. have you seen some of the backup point guards in the league right now? several teams don't have/use one, they just run a point-forward and iso everything. hell, some teams do they with their starting unit. i don't think troy brown needs to be john stockton to earn some minutes handling the ball.

So you see him kinda like a Manu Ginobili? I can see that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

oregontrack wrote:i believe he's showing up as a mid-first rounder in these mocks because scouts love his versatility. i see him more as a combo guard, as opposed to fitting comfortably in a traditional position. with his size and skill if he were a pure point i'm pretty sure he'd be a top 10 lock.

I mean, would you be upset if Portland took him with their 1st?
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

i have trouble spending additional valuable resources at the guard spots, as my BFF on the Trail Blazers thread reminds us so often lillard and mccollum already take up half our cap. for what portland might be looking for, i think we could just buy a second round pick to fill out depth while using our first elsewhere or packaged in a trade for cap relief.

if not in cap hell, then sure.
ImageImageImageImageImage