Who stays? Who goes?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Phenom
All Pac-12

Re: Who stays? Who goes?

Post by Phenom »

Duck07 wrote:Just had to check the WNBA draft eligibility rules: we get to keep SI and Ruthy for 4 years unless they graduate early, so at least one more year!
Do women ever leave early?
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

Phenom wrote:
Duck07 wrote:Just had to check the WNBA draft eligibility rules: we get to keep SI and Ruthy for 4 years unless they graduate early, so at least one more year!
Do women ever leave early?
There have been a few, like less than 10 I believe.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

By the time Ruthy and SI leave, Uncle Phil is going to have to give them their own brand of women's sneakers.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
bigsugarduck wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:Yeah I think he's gone too. Anytime you are projected to be a top 25 pick, and you know you will never be a top 10 pick. Do it. No reason to wait.

With that being said, if he stayed, Oregon is a top 25 team in the country. Could be fun for him to try to win the Pac-12, and make a run in the tournament.
I'm not following this part of the logic?
Troy Brown isn’t going to improve his stock by staying another year. in fact, it’s more likely that his value drops if he stays another year. Being a projected top 25 pick as a freshman is really good. Id Take advantage of that.
Couldn't disagree with this more. March exposure does wonders for draft stock. Oregon will be playing late in March next season and he will be a starter.

Put your name in, go to the camps, don't hire an agent, come back, get exposure on a top 15 team, improve draft stock to where you are a lock as a top 20 pick(he's not right now).
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

..and I was for all 3 guys going after last season. They all made the right decision.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

GrantDuck wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
bigsugarduck wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:Yeah I think he's gone too. Anytime you are projected to be a top 25 pick, and you know you will never be a top 10 pick. Do it. No reason to wait.

With that being said, if he stayed, Oregon is a top 25 team in the country. Could be fun for him to try to win the Pac-12, and make a run in the tournament.
Troy Brown isn’t going to improve his stock by staying another year. in fact, it’s more likely that his value drops if he stays another year. Being a projected top 25 pick as a freshman is really good. Id Take advantage of that.
Couldn't disagree with this more. March exposure does wonders for draft stock. Oregon will be playing late in March next season and he will be a starter.
Didn't help Dorsey. I think the NBA has gotten smarter in that regards.
GrantDuck wrote:Put your name in, go to the camps, don't hire an agent, come back, get exposure on a top 15 team, improve draft stock to where you are a lock as a top 20 pick(he's not right now).
Unless you're near the top in the draft the difference in salary is fairly negligible. It's easily made up by getting to your second contract 1 year sooner.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

GrantDuck wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
bigsugarduck wrote:

Put your name in, go to the camps, don't hire an agent, come back, get exposure on a top 15 team, improve draft stock to where you are a lock as a top 20 pick(he's not right now).
You can disagree, results say otherwise. International players and freshmen absolutely dominate the top 15.

So unless Troy Brown is a top 4 Soph/Jr/Sr in the nation, he isn't going top 15. For the last 4 years, that's a fact. And that's likely not changing this year.

There is a far greater risk of staying, and more freshmen/sophomores taking your spot. Whereas now, he's still viewed with loads of potential, making him a more attractive pick. The more he stays, naturally the less your potential.

The ONLY reason I might disagree with my point is because he's a very young freshman. I think he just turned 18. So even if he stayed another year and played his sophomore season, age-wise he's basically still a freshman.

If I were his parents, I'd tell him to go.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Boom wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
bigsugarduck wrote:

Didn't help Dorsey. I think the NBA has gotten smarter in that regards.
GrantDuck wrote:Put your name in, go to the camps, don't hire an agent, come back, get exposure on a top 15 team, improve draft stock to where you are a lock as a top 20 pick(he's not right now).
Unless you're near the top in the draft the difference in salary is fairly negligible. It's easily made up by getting to your second contract 1 year sooner.
1. It absolutely helped Dorsey. He was not projected to have been drafted at all prior to that run.
2. If he plays well and improves it will improve his stock. Sure, it could go the other way if he doesn't, but with his skill set and potential to improve in year 2 under Altman, that's much less likely than significant improvement.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Luke Kennard, Justin Jackson, and Donovan Mitchell were all top 15 picks and not freshman, who vastly improved their stock by having big years in college.

The previous year you had Dunn, Hield, Poetl(doing very well at Toronto), Sabonis, Prince, and Valentine. Hield and Valentine in particular improved their stock immensely by staying in school.

You know what most of those top 15 freshman and euros from the last 2 years are doing? Playing in the G-League or struggling to get PT. The guys in the 25-40 range?(Browns' current range) ..almost all in the G-League. Meanwhile, Brooks, Bell, and Dorsey are all getting significant PT

Point being, it's it's not just about where you will go in the draft, it's about the success you will have and the level you will be at when you get there.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

At the end of the day it really comes down to $ and who's been in Browns ear.
Should he stay ? yes . i hope he stays because he's the kind of player and person
we need here. But like every kid who plays hoops including myself at a way earlier age
had dreams of playing in the nba. Only a small fraction gets that chance. So i expect him
to follow that dream. And will follow him where ever he goes.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

GrantDuck wrote:Luke Kennard, Justin Jackson, and Donovan Mitchell were all top 15 picks and not freshman, who vastly improved their stock by having big years in college.

The previous year you had Dunn, Hield, Poetl(doing very well at Toronto), Sabonis, Prince, and Valentine. Hield and Valentine in particular improved their stock immensely by staying in school.

You know what most of those top 15 freshman and euros from the last 2 years are doing? Playing in the G-League or struggling to get PT. The guys in the 25-40 range?(Browns' current range) ..almost all in the G-League. Meanwhile, Brooks, Bell, and Dorsey are all getting significant PT

Point being, it's it's not just about where you will go in the draft, it's about the success you will have and the level you will be at when you get there.
Not arguing your points, just Brown's current range:
Sports Illustrated 16...https://www.si.com/nba/nba-mock-draft-2018
CBS: 18 https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... ka-doncic/
NBA Daily : 16 http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-d ... t-3-20-18/
Kyle's Brother
Three Star Recruit

Post by Kyle's Brother »

I've seen people call Keith Smith a good defender a few times now... His length makes him great in a press, but his on-ball defense is absolutely pitiful. He gets TORCHED in one v. one situations from the perimeter. He can't play man defense. He just can't.

The kid isn't good enough, and never will be. It's like Sorkin all over again. I know people on message boards root for the underdog, but these kinds of guys will never be contributors.

Imo it's better if they're out early, and open roster spots for players that might contribute down the line. I'd absolutely love to open a spot for someone like Penn-Johnson. He's a project, but Bol and Wooten will probably both be gone after next season. That's going to leave us painfully thin inside, and I'd rather have someone like Penn-Johnson two years in than a first year transfer that may or may not come good.

Edit: Looks like Penn-Johnson committed to UW. He was just an example. There are projects out there that Altman could turn into great players.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

now oregon state's drew eubanks is a great example of a kid making a curious decision.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

One thing I've heard recently is that the next few draft classes don't have the same level of marquee players coming in.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Matt Prehm says Brown Jr. has not decided yet, Altman is meeting with players this week to discuss their future plans.