Who stays? Who goes?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Re: Who stays? Who goes?

Post by greenyellow »

Keith Smith is now gone. I think it's likely because King and Kigab will be getting most of the SF minutes next season. Prehm is saying another move or two is possible (Cage is a good chance but would hate to lose anyone else since those would be the main rotation guys with experience.) If there are some transfers left, you kinda have to wonder what was going on BTS that there'll basically be an entirely new team once again.
Zyme
All Pac-12
GM: New York Knicks GM

Post by Zyme »

How does this affect our recruiting? How many guys are worth pickup up that are still floating out there?
DASL1 Rings: '93, '94

K's HOF:
Mark "Wholly Mammoth" Eaton | Retired 2002, age 44: 24 min/8pts/8reb/1stl/2.5 blks/1 TO
Michael "Sweet Home" Ansley | Retired 2007, age 42: 33 min/16pts/8 reb/1.5stl/.5 blks/.5 TO Lifetime .550 shooting %
Gheorghe "Ghiţă (Ghitza, Little George)" Mureșan | Retired 2008, age 36: 35Min/16.2pt/12.2reb/2.1ast/1.6stl/2.9blk/1.3TO (.461/.715/.000)
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Zyme wrote:How does this affect our recruiting? How many guys are worth pickup up that are still floating out there?
Brandon Williams is their main target still, with Courtney Ramey potentially being a back-up option for a HS PG. With two SFs gone, expect them to go hard after JC SF Tremell Murphy. Another name that's popped up recently is Koby McEwen, a former top-100 PG who's transferring from Utah State after they fired their coach. For posts, there's Jordan Brown and Francis Okoro. Brown is probably a long-shot since he's only now opening up his recruitment again and Oregon seems to have lost contact with him due to not having many spots open. Okoro is a 2019 guy who may reclassify to 2018 but that's still TBD and he's got a lot of suitors, with no clear leader. It'll be interesting to see any potential grad transfers pop up but with the FR they have already coming in, there might not be many grad transfers who'd come with PT being at a premium.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I readily admit I am not an NBA scout, but it really feels like Brown is making a mistake. When Jordan Bell came out, I had no idea why he was rated so low on draft boards. I feel the opposite about Brown; I have no idea why anyone would draft him in the first round. To me, it seems likely that he will spend the duration of his rookie contract playing in the G-League or sitting on the bench.

I wish him all the luck in the world though, and will be rooting for him.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Phalanx wrote:I readily admit I am not an NBA scout, but it really feels like Brown is making a mistake. When Jordan Bell came out, I had no idea why he was rated so low on draft boards. I feel the opposite about Brown; I have no idea why anyone would draft him in the first round. To me, it seems likely that he will spend the duration of his rookie contract playing in the G-League or sitting on the bench.

I completely agree with this. I think he will make it onto an NBA roster in a few years, but he is probably going to have a few years in the G league before that happens. He has a ton of talent and potential. However, he doesn’t see the floor well enough right now and his ball handling and decision making need work. He will absolutely get there, but it will take some time IMO.

That being said, it is really hard not to take first round money if it is on the table. You can always finish your degree, especially if you have a few million in the bank.

The minute I saw Jordan Bell put on a uniform, I knew he would be a solid NBA player. I said during his freshman year that he would be the only player on the team on an NBA roster in 5 yeas. That was obviously not correct, but you could see that Jordan was really really special right out of the gate.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

northbeachsf wrote:
Phalanx wrote:I readily admit I am not an NBA scout, but it really feels like Brown is making a mistake. When Jordan Bell came out, I had no idea why he was rated so low on draft boards. I feel the opposite about Brown; I have no idea why anyone would draft him in the first round. To me, it seems likely that he will spend the duration of his rookie contract playing in the G-League or sitting on the bench.

I completely agree with this. I think he will make it onto an NBA roster in a few years, but he is probably going to have a few years in the G league before that happens. He has a ton of talent and potential. However, he doesn’t see the floor well enough right now and his ball handling and decision making need work. He will absolutely get there, but it will take some time IMO.

That being said, it is really hard not to take first round money if it is on the table. You can always finish your degree, especially if you have a few million in the bank.

The minute I saw Jordan Bell put on a uniform, I knew he would be a solid NBA player. I said during his freshman year that he would be the only player on the team on an NBA roster in 5 yeas. That was obviously not correct, but you could see that Jordan was really really special right out of the gate.
Jordan made some bone headed choices, just like all kids (Remember the dislocated/exploded finger he got practicing dunks?).

The time he spent playing college ball for Altman definitely allowed him to mature and learn how to be a better teammate, as well as how to protect his assets (No pun intended).
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

What we ideally need for next year's team, in order:

-Brandon Williams(could slide Payton to the 2). IE someone that can break another team off on the dribble consistently.

-A rebounder. Brown and McIntosh were our 2 best defensive rebounders. Wooten can only improve here, but Bol is a bad rebounder for his size. Need someone that's willing to do the dirty work on the defensive end and glass.

-Tremell Murphy(need another shooter)
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Age, length, versatility, potential, athleticism, etc. He has all the right tools you want for a G/F. If he can get his shot down, he has potential to be a contributor in the NBA. And defensively, I think he could be a beast.

He's just starting to tap into what he can be. I totally understand the hype. High risk / high reward pick.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

greenyellow wrote:Keith Smith is now gone. I think it's likely because King and Kigab will be getting most of the SF minutes next season. Prehm is saying another move or two is possible (Cage is a good chance but would hate to lose anyone else since those would be the main rotation guys with experience.) If there are some transfers left, you kinda have to wonder what was going on BTS that there'll basically be an entirely new team once again.
Smith's offensive game was always a struggle. Definitely appreciate is hard work and defensive effort. Wish him well wherever he ends up.

Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

The moment Bell, Brooks, and Dorsey were draftable they jumped. I don’t believe any of them would have landed a roster spot one year sooner.

Troy Brown is expected to be a 1st round pick. He’s going to make more money in 1-2 years than most people will in their lifetime. There’s no upside in staying.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

It's not that I don't think he has the potential, it's that it doesn't seem guaranteed to me that teams will be getting in line to draft a guy who seems like he is going straight to the G-League. Why pay a guy to develop so that he can jump to another team by the time he is actually a productive player? It reminds me of Jermaine O'Neal, who was a pretty good player...for the Pacers.

The only way it makes sense to me is if there is just a dearth of NBA-ready players in the draft, so picking a project is the only option.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Phalanx wrote:It's not that I don't think he has the potential, it's that it doesn't seem guaranteed to me that teams will be getting in line to draft a guy who seems like he is going straight to the G-League. Why pay a guy to develop so that he can jump to another team by the time he is actually a productive player? It reminds me of Jermaine O'Neal, who was a pretty good player...for the Pacers.

The only way it makes sense to me is if there is just a dearth of NBA-ready players in the draft, so picking a project is the only option.
What does NBA ready even mean? Do you want Grayson Allen who had a proven college career, but has limited potential? He will never be a high level defender like Troy Brown. He will always be lacking in length vs Brown. The only thing holding Troy Brown back right now is his shot.

Kyle's Brother
Three Star Recruit

Post by Kyle's Brother »

Whether he ends up successful or not, it's good for the program to have a one and done in the first round. That will mean sending 5 guys to the NBA in 2 years. Then probably another 2-3 next year (Bol, King, and Wooten).
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

Money is a good motivator for these kids who have talent. Why go to school when you can
go to the pros and get more money then most have seen in there life time. Brown will be fine
once his shot improves. He has all the rest of the intangibles. Staying in college would not have
changed much for him. For selfish reasons we want him to stay.
Some people said Dorsey wasnt ready. He has gotten to play a role as a rookie. Brown is
doing what is best for him. At the end of the day that is all that matters. If he feels he can make
it and provide help for his family, more power to him. I really hope it works out for him and he
makes the uofo proud. Will help with recruiting other players just like him. Would have been fun
to have seen him play with last years team. I bet he would have been amazing. This years team
just never seemed to jell together.
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

Brown made the right choice. You don't turn down top20 money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk