Offseason info from Altman

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Greenblood
Senior

Offseason info from Altman

Post by Greenblood »

As seems to be a usual thing for the Duck men hoopsters during the offseason, there are injuries keeping a couple of guys from practicing right now (King and Amin). Sounds like Amin will be ready to go for preseason practices beginning in late September, but it's not certain about King due to a torn meniscus he suffered in January.

But at least all six new guys are enrolled. Also, looks like the 2018-19 schedule is getting close to being finalized.

http://www.registerguard.com/sports/201 ... -in-summer

http://www.registerguard.com/sports/201 ... -basetball
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Offseason info from Altman

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Gonna be really weird with such a big lineup.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Altman setting expectations for the younguns:
Bol, Richardson and Norris are in their fifth week of summer workouts.

“A long way to go, as always,” Altman said of the freshmen. “Defense is way behind where they should be and offensively, they want to dribble a lot and shoot it a lot. It will be fun trying to figure out how we put them all together and get them to play together. I think it will be a good group that is fun to work with.”
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

King must have complications because that's way too long for a meniscus tear(usually 1-3 month injury). Hopefully they're just being extra cautious with those.

That said, everything else seems positive from what I'm hearing. Bol seems really committed to working with Altman and Wooten is providing a challenge for him in workouts in a good way. I liked the comments about Okoro being a committed 2 handed rebounder and like Altman said, it's going to be interesting to see what it's like to see Oregon play "big." The only time they did much of that is with Kazemi/Woods, but still not like we're going to this year.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

GrantDuck wrote:King must have complications because that's way too long for a meniscus tear(usually 1-3 month injury). Hopefully they're just being extra cautious with those.

That said, everything else seems positive from what I'm hearing. Bol seems really committed to working with Altman and Wooten is providing a challenge for him in workouts in a good way. I liked the comments about Okoro being a committed 2 handed rebounder and like Altman said, it's going to be interesting to see what it's like to see Oregon play "big." The only time they did much of that is with Kazemi/Woods, but still not like we're going to this year.
Going big is something the pac-12 has not seen Oregon at. So other teams use to be able
to game plan against a smaller Oregon team. Not now. If he can get them to play together then
watch out.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

duckfan22 wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:King must have complications because that's way too long for a meniscus tear(usually 1-3 month injury). Hopefully they're just being extra cautious with those.

Going big is something the pac-12 has not seen Oregon at. So other teams use to be able
to game plan against a smaller Oregon team. Not now. If he can get them to play together then
watch out.

The key for me will be if the skill level can be high enough. The game is moving away from true bigs, but everyone except Wooten can it out to 15 feet..but good passing/ball handling and keeping turnovers down is going to be a real key...because we're going to want to set our defense...because...

Defense I'd imagine we're going to play 95%+ zone this season. Imagine going against a lineup of Bailey Jr./Amin/King/Wooten/Bol and trying to score against that defense being set. Good freakin' luck. That's 5 high quality to elite defenders(assuming Bol is engaged), the NCAA steals leader and 2 guys that may be top 2 in the conference in blocks this season. If they learn to play Dana's system, and PP continues to improve his defense, we could be a top 5 defense in the country.