Oregon involved in FBI case...no bueno

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Greenblood
Senior

Re: Oregon involved in FBI case...no bueno

Post by Greenblood »

Since the bottom tweet from Zagoria seems to contradict what is said in his top tweet regarding Oregon, I assume the top tweet "clarifies" Bowen Sr.'s statement regarding Oregon.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Greenblood wrote:Since the bottom tweet from Zagoria seems to contradict what is said in his top tweet regarding Oregon, I assume the top tweet "clarifies" Bowen Sr.'s statement regarding Oregon.
Yes, he lumps in the first tweet as being a quick run down of which schools were accused before detailing the specific offer from each school in the next tweet.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Brophdog88 wrote:Bowen did not recall anything from Oregon
Very good news. Still nervous there might be other things out there. But if we can stay out of the whole Bowen thing completely, that's gonna be a huge positive for us.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Glad that there's really nothing on Oregon. But if I were Kansas, Arizona, or a couple other schools, I'd be kinda worried.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Interesting that the title says involved in FBI case. UO is actually not being investigated, just an Adidas guy trying to throw mud at Nike flag ship school.
Last edited by buckmarkduck on Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Juice
Four Star Recruit

Post by Juice »

I believe Bowen is to be cross examined on Tuesday? So while we are not completely out of the woods yet, as long as he doesn't change course we will be good.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Juice wrote:I believe Bowen is to be cross examined on Tuesday? So while we are not completely out of the woods yet, as long as he doesn't change course we will be good.
No we're good unless actual evidence comes to light. Hearsay doesn't mean anything in court, for the time being.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

May be a dumb question, the FBI is involved....... what LAW has been broken? Should this not be a NCAA thing?
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

Alan wrote:May be a dumb question, the FBI is involved....... what LAW has been broken? Should this not be a NCAA thing?
Wire fraud. FBI's case is that Adidas and agents defrauded the NCAA and Universities by circumventing the amaturism rules by paying kids to goto specific schools.
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Alan wrote:May be a dumb question, the FBI is involved....... what LAW has been broken? Should this not be a NCAA thing?
Probably falls under the definition of RICO Law... Racketeering and Tax Evasion.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia ... o-act.html

"Passed in 1970, the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO) is a federal law designed to combat organized crime in the United States. It allows prosecution and civil penalties for racketeering activity performed as part of an ongoing criminal enterprise."

Sounds like an apt description of the NCAA, doesn't it?
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Juice
Four Star Recruit

Post by Juice »

Duck07 wrote:
Juice wrote:I believe Bowen is to be cross examined on Tuesday? So while we are not completely out of the woods yet, as long as he doesn't change course we will be good.
No we're good unless actual evidence comes to light. Hearsay doesn't mean anything in court, for the time being.
I get that, was really talking more of in court of public opinion, recruiting, etc...
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Juice wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
I get that, was really talking more of in court of public opinion, recruiting, etc...
You know it may work to our favor when its all said and done when nothing shows up. We can then follow the latest trend in claiming our victim status while also saying that we're able to land big time recruits and we don't play dirty either which would help keep those looking to get paid away. (even though this is largely about shoe companies, financial advisors and not schools, but let's not focus on that detail when spinning this)
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Altman with the straight, direct denial.

I trust him. Think we'll be just fine.
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/index ... iver_index

Appears the defense thinks they have something.
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

TualatinDuck wrote:https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/index ... iver_index

Appears the defense thinks they have something.
That sounds ominous. At least Bowen still claims he doesn't remember anything. Though, it seems strange that on one hand they are claiming that Oregon paid him $3000 and on the other claiming Louisville offered him $100,000 to counter the "astronomical" offer from Oregon.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!