2K Classic: Iowa vs Oregon (Nov 15 Thursday 6 PM ESPN)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrantDuck
Senior

Re: 2K Classic: Iowa vs Oregon (Nov 15 Thursday 6 PM ESPN)

Post by GrantDuck »

Well. Pritchard and White need to carry this team early and they dropped it entirely tonight. Pritchard was really bad, no sugar coating that.

Amin had a nice game. Bol needs to get into better shape.
AshlandDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by AshlandDuck »

greenyellow wrote:Both teams have around 21 fouls each and Oregon has only shot 3 less FTs than Iowa so I'm not seeing where the refs are really deciding this game. This game was decided by Oregon's poor shooting and rebounding.

I would reckon it's because you aren't watching the game. A lot of the fouls called on Oregon weren't fouls. Iowa got some cheap fouls too, but from my count Oregon had more bad calls go against them.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

AshlandDuck wrote:
greenyellow wrote:Both teams have around 21 fouls each and Oregon has only shot 3 less FTs than Iowa so I'm not seeing where the refs are really deciding this game. This game was decided by Oregon's poor shooting and rebounding.

I would reckon it's because you aren't watching the game. A lot of the fouls called on Oregon weren't fouls. Iowa got some cheap fouls too, but from my count Oregon had more bad calls go against them.
I watched the game and it really wasn't as bad you guys are saying. Were the refs calling it a bit tight the entire game? Yes but even with Oregon fouling at the end, they only ended up with 3 more fouls than Iowa. Oregon was reaching on a few of their fouls and while those wouldn't be a foul to most refs we'll see this season, they were tonight so Oregon should have adjusted accordingly.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

AshlandDuck wrote:

For me it was more about the timing of those bad fouls, we started to go on a little run and a cheap foul gave Iowa points via the free throw line. However there were multiple bad fouls that were called after Oregon gave up offensive rebounds. Very disappointed with Wooten’s efforts on the boards. Wish Okoro saw the floor more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
AshlandDuck wrote:

For me it was more about the timing of those bad fouls, we started to go on a little run and a cheap foul gave Iowa points via the free throw line. However there were multiple bad fouls that were called after Oregon gave up offensive rebounds. Very disappointed with Wooten’s efforts on the boards. Wish Okoro saw the floor more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wooten has a bum ankle, so he was not 100% tonight
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

greenyellow wrote:
AshlandDuck wrote:

I watched the game and it really wasn't as bad you guys are saying. Were the refs calling it a bit tight the entire game? Yes but even with Oregon fouling at the end, they only ended up with 3 more fouls than Iowa. Oregon was reaching on a few of their fouls and while those wouldn't be a foul to most refs we'll see this season, they were tonight so Oregon should have adjusted accordingly.
There’s a give and take, if you will, with officiating. Each game has a unique ebb and flow, physicality level, talent disparity etc. College refs in general don’t let a game even begin to sort itself out before they’ve blown the whistle a dozen times and put a few players in foul trouble. There is a drastic difference between officiating to set a tone, which can absolutely be necessary at times and officiating too tight for no apparent reason. Tonight was the latter. It’s infuriating as a fan to watch and I can’t imagine the frustration of actually playing/coaching in the game.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

This team is entirely overrated. There are ZERO reliable shooters. You can blab on and on about coaching, bad officiating, blah, blah blah. It’s very simple. Nobody that can reliably hit a jumper. Can’t put all your eggs into how the inside game will ‘supposedly’ carry this team. Couldn’t say that anyway. I will take my lumps if things change, but I’m calling this team a .500 team, and this may be overreaching.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Everythingsducky wrote:This team is entirely overrated. There are ZERO reliable shooters. You can blab on and on about coaching, bad officiating, blah, blah blah. It’s very simple. Nobody that can reliably hit a jumper. Can’t put all your eggs into how the inside game will ‘supposedly’ carry this team. Couldn’t say that anyway. I will take my lumps if things change, but I’m calling this team a .500 team, and this may be overreaching.
We've still yet to see King on the floor so it's a tad early to be judging them so harshly. There will be growing pains with how young they are but there is some potential there should they gel later on in the season.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

Thought I should remind ourselves of how the 2016-17 team -- the team with all that great returning experience and talent that ultimately ended up in the Final Four -- began its season away from MKA:

49-66 L at Baylor
61-65 L to Georgetown (who ended up with a sub-.500 regular season record) in Hawaii
69-65 OT W over Tennessee (who ended up at .500) in Hawaii
79-69 W over Connecticut (who ended up 18-17) in Hawaii

Very unimpressive and unquestionably distressing to us. But things turned out pretty well. Seems like Altman's teams take a while to really gel.

This isn't in any way to minimize some of the concerns voiced in this thread about this game. But I'm just not planning to get overly worried about things this early.
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

Everythingsducky wrote:This team is entirely overrated. There are ZERO reliable shooters. You can blab on and on about coaching, bad officiating, blah, blah blah. It’s very simple. Nobody that can reliably hit a jumper. Can’t put all your eggs into how the inside game will ‘supposedly’ carry this team. Couldn’t say that anyway. I will take my lumps if things change, but I’m calling this team a .500 team, and this may be overreaching.
Oregon missed 10+ layups, and generally shot the ball awful. Even bad teams dont shoot that poorly. I think it is really shortsighted to think Oregon will be that bad on layups going forward. If they shoot the layups at a normal rate, they would have won this game.
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

AshlandDuck wrote:
greenyellow wrote:Nice 4-point possession from Oregon there. PP has already missed 3 FTs so I kinda wonder what's going on with him.
He has a case of the yips this game. It happens. He's been really solid to start the year, but this is an absurdly bad game for him so far.
PP reminded me of BB in this game, 1-9 from the field, 0-4 on 3's, fouls out, and could never get the offense in to any organized scheme.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Exactly. The refs were calling it tight as often happens in NCAA games but it wasn't one sided.

The shooting, particularly Pritchard's, is an aberration. Every player has a worse career game. Preseason is good time to have one.

Obviously this team has a ton of work to do, but unlike the football team, this team truly is young. As is the case with 99% of Altman's teams, they'll look much different after New Years.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

100% overreaction to 1 game. Pritchard, Amin, Bol, Richardson, White, Bailey, and King are all more than capable of reliably hitting jumpers. Every shooter is going to have off nights. This team is considerably better than last year's team. Given they have much more talent than last year, and the Pac-12 is worse than last year, I see no conceivable way they finish .500.