Texas Southern @ Oregon (Mon 8 PM Pac-12 Networks)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

droop10
Five Star Recruit

Re: Texas Southern @ Oregon (Mon 8 PM Pac-12 Networks)

Post by droop10 »

duckfan22 wrote:
Greenblood wrote:84 points is usually plenty good enough to route a team from the Southwestern Athletic Conference. But giving up 57 points at home in the second half?? Yipes!! Seems to me the biggest issue here is defense (the lack thereof), which is all about effort. I would think that can be fixed, especially now that the Ducks realize what can happen when they don't play good D.
I agree on defense.. Paul White is not the best at this, Bol is good if someone in front of him shoots
but if they drive by not so much. Victor Bailey is aggressive on the defensive end and should see the
court more as does Kigab. Pritchard and Richardson should be on the floor more together. Pritchard cant do it
all by himself. And rebounding holly crap. Just standing there hoping the ball will come to you isnt
good enough. Weve seen this before, early season struggles then it comes along and we play like
we should
I agree defense was the issue, but the defense has been solid this year up to this game. Wooten was a big loss in the middle, which contributed to that 2nd half surge, as was sudden lights out shooting by Texas Southern. Similarly, while I know defense was the issue in this game, I'm trying not to overreact to it, as the defense has been great up to this point.

This team will cause a ton of problems with its length, and has up to this point. I believe it was stated that no opposing teams had even shot 40% from the field prior to this game. Not many teams have 7'2" monsters in the middle that can exploit the interior defense, plus a healthy Wooten will take care of many of the issues that showed up in the 2nd half.

As you mentioned, I think the rebounding is the main concern. They are getting outhustled on the boards, and it's giving these teams that are struggling to make shots more opportunities. They have the size to dominate the rebounding, which when combined with the low opponent's field goal percentage would make this team incredibly hard to beat going forward.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

PP is sure taking a lot of flack on here, considering the biggest problem right now is clearly defense and rebounding. Every single stat on his line is up from the prior two seasons. He has improved his FG, 3PT, and FT percentages. He is up on assists and rebounds. His scoring average is the same as last season, but he is playing less minutes.

PP is NOT the problem right now.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

The main issue I have with both PP and PW are that they don't seem to showing the leadership needed to right the ship. PP said in the post-game press conference that players were taking practices and game possessions off. As the supposed leaders on the team, him and PW need to be the ones to help correct that, similar to how Jordan Bell, Dillon Brooks, and Dylan Ennis did when they felt the team was slacking.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Pritchard is doing his part. Anyone to expect more than what he is doing so far is being unrealistic:
49% FG
42% 3PT
81% FT
4.5 RPG
5.3 APG
1.3 SPG
14.5 PPG

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Pritchard is doing his part. Anyone to expect more than what he is doing so far is being unrealistic:
49% FG
42% 3PT
81% FT
4.5 RPG
5.3 APG
1.3 SPG
14.5 PPG
Fine except for the Iowa game. Same as the stupid people dogging on him last year when he was the only guy playing well until McKintosh picked it up.

The only thing I'd say is he still needs to work on his finishing inside late in games, but that's an improvement issue, not part of the "problem".

His defense has been much better this year so far.