Texas Southern @ Oregon (Mon 8 PM Pac-12 Networks)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrantDuck
Senior

Re: Texas Southern @ Oregon (Mon 8 PM Pac-12 Networks)

Post by GrantDuck »

Pretty awful loss, even if TX Southern shot the lights out.

This team is going to be very inconsistent, but we simply can't have Paul White play like that.

Not the end of the world. Need to get King/Wooten healthy and hope this loss wakes some people up.
Last edited by GrantDuck on Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AshlandDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by AshlandDuck »

greenyellow wrote:Oregon gave this game away on the boards and the defensive end, which is where they really missed Wooten. Absolutely no hustle tonight and just plain sloppy on the offensive end.

Hence my question of why Okoro is not being more involved. He boards and can play interior defense.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Tough loss for Oregon, also a bad look but it’s really in the long term meaningless. Altman’s teams usually start off bad but improve. Bol was great again, maybe shot a few too many times, but he’s really the only guy that gives us offensive firepower. Besides him, nobody else can create a shot.

Wooten hopefully learned his lesson. I’ve been saying a few times this early season he jumps recklessly and I saw an injury coming like this. Bell didn’t get so many blocks cause of his vertical, but because of his timing. Besides, can’t get blocks if you’re on the bench. Wooten needs to be less out of control when jumping.

Our wing players just stand, the perimeter offense and defense as very bad tonight. Texas Southern’s wings outplayed Oregon big time tonight. Oregon’s wings can’t play so lazy.

Also, I’m about as excited to see Paul White graduate as I was to see Elijah Brown graduate last year. At this point I don’t know if White is going to improve, I’m afraid this is just what we’re going to get with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Ducks have become way too dependent on Bol for their scoring. They've gotten almost nothing out of Amin tonight and only minimal contributions from White and the bench.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Tough loss for Oregon, also a bad look but it’s really in the long term meaningless. Altman’s teams usually start off bad but improve. Bol was great again, maybe shot a few too many times, but he’s really the only guy that gives us offensive firepower. Besides him, nobody else can create a shot.

Wooten hopefully learned his lesson. I’ve been saying a few times this early season he jumps recklessly and I saw an injury coming like this. Bell didn’t get so many blocks cause of his vertical, but because of his timing. Besides, can’t get blocks if you’re on the bench. Wooten needs to be less out of control when jumping.

Our wing players just stand, the perimeter offense and defense as very bad tonight. Texas Southern’s wings outplayed Oregon big time tonight. Oregon’s wings can’t play so lazy.

Also, I’m about as excited to see Paul White graduate as I was to see Elijah Brown graduate last year. At this point I don’t know if White is going to improve, I’m afraid this is just what we’re going to get with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do wonder if the coaches have told him about the reckless jumping....He's an amazing athlete, but you don't have to jump out of the gym every single time.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

AshlandDuck wrote:
greenyellow wrote:Oregon gave this game away on the boards and the defensive end, which is where they really missed Wooten. Absolutely no hustle tonight and just plain sloppy on the offensive end.

Hence my question of why Okoro is not being more involved. He boards and can play interior defense.
He plays good one-on-one defense but gets easily lost on defensive rotations, resulting in a lot of easy baskets. He and Bol are still learning what it takes to play defense at the college level.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

greenyellow wrote:Ducks have become way too dependent on Bol for their scoring. They've gotten almost nothing out of Amin tonight and only minimal contributions from White and the bench.
Amin's offense leaves a lot to be desired. He's not bad as like a rotation guard/defender, but as an offensive player he's pretty dead weight. If you can't hit open 3's as a guard in college basketball these days, you better be incredibly explosive and he's not.
Last edited by GrantDuck on Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by GDuck »

Embarrassing loss. Team hopefully will improve but Oregon should not lose to Texas Southern at home regardless if Wooten was out in the 2nd half.

Pritchard really isn’t a clutch player (consistently wilts under pressure) and is more of a system player. Really missing a point guard that can create on his own and improve those around him.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

They also P&R Bol/Payton over and over and over in the 2nd half and we never solved it.

Paul White was pathetic as the help defender in those situations. Always caught between. Once King gets back White needs to sit on the bench a LOT.
ICamel
Two Star Recruit

Post by ICamel »

Game was lost at the charity stripe.
Texas Southern had 16 points from free throws. Ducks had 7. Some of that was due to fouling at the end of game by Oregon.
Oregon had one more field goal, with two more from beyond the arc.
Beat on the boards by 9(5 at the offensive end and 4 at the defensive end).
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Tonight's game reminded me of the Iowa game. Flat defensive intensity bled over into their offensive execution. I'm sure Altman let them have it in the locker room for their effort.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

Sorry, that was a BS loss. Spin it as you want. The Ducks have continued to show that they have absolutely no reliable shooters, or can at least spring decent shooters from a pick. Wooten may have helped, but his absence is not the reason the Ducks lost.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

AshlandDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by AshlandDuck »

greenyellow wrote: He plays good one-on-one defense but gets easily lost on defensive rotations, resulting in a lot of easy baskets. He and Bol are still learning what it takes to play defense at the college level.
He might be out of step on some rotations, but I've also seen him help-side clean-up for a block. The alternatives weren't any better from I saw tonight as far as defensive rotations go and I think adding height, strength, and athleticism is better than that alternative. He would also add an offensive rebounding threat which is pretty ideal. You are right though, it is an issue both he and Bol do need to get better at, but I think playing them both now would be smarter for the future.