Texas Southern @ Oregon (Mon 8 PM Pac-12 Networks)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrantDuck
Senior

Re: Texas Southern @ Oregon (Mon 8 PM Pac-12 Networks)

Post by GrantDuck »

This may continue the debbie downer...but...

Not sure Lou King will make much of an impact this season. He won't be back for awhile yet. Love his game, but he's basically been out for a full year now and he's still a young kid.

A meniscus should take a couple months max to heal, so something serious is going on with him at the very least.

Payton needs to finish better. No more excuses for him doing the same crap as last year driving one on one and getting swatted by the help defender. Needs to learn how to finish over bigs with his body or tear drop, or pass in that situation.

Just need to vent a bit, sorry boys and girls. Going to be some real highs and lows this season I feel like. Bol is sure fun to watch though!
Hoagduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Hoagduck »

Trash
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Everythingsducky wrote:Sorry, that was a BS loss. Spin it as you want. The Ducks have continued to show that they have absolutely no reliable shooters, or can at least spring decent shooters from a pick. Wooten may have helped, but his absence is not the reason the Ducks lost.
Yeah we don't have a lot of guys who can create on offense. White going 0-5 from 3 and Kigab 0-4 really doesn't help the cause. I think we need to realize that Bol is our primary scorer, followed by Pritchard and Bailey. Gotta get them the ball when things are getting tight. Also our rebounding effort was absolutely pathetic.

Give Texas Southern some props though, they hit some big time shots when they made their run to take the lead. And then Reed when absolutely beast mode.

One of the worst losses in recent memory. Super lame.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Yeah we don't have a lot of guys who can create on offense. White going 0-5 from 3 and Kigab 0-4 really doesn't help the cause. I think we need to realize that Bol is our primary scorer, followed by Pritchard and Bailey. Gotta get them the ball when things are getting tight. Also our rebounding effort was absolutely pathetic.
One of the worst losses in recent memory. Super lame.
Pritchard played his best ball, not surprisingly, on the Final Four team, when he was a supporting player. Last season he was asked to lead the team, and we all saw what came of that.
I just don't see Pritchard as a prime time 1. A player who can focus his energy on getting the offense going, making sure that everybody is getting touches, and when needed, taking over the game. PP hasn't shown the ability to do either of those things.
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

Like I said before, coming in everyone wanted Casey Benson off the team so quickly because of the Pritchard hype.
He didn't impress me too much but had a couple of good games.
Now this team will end up like last year not even making the tournament I feel like.
I know many say Altman's teams don't peak until after the New Years, but I don't know if theyve been as bad as this year and last years.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

shoparound wrote:Like I said before, coming in everyone wanted Casey Benson off the team so quickly because of the Pritchard hype.
Now this team will end up like last year not even making the tournament I feel like.
I know many say Altman's teams don't peak until after the New Years, but I don't know if theyve been as bad as this year and last years.
I posed this question after the Final Four run and nobody agreed with it not even me, but did Altman peak with that final four team? I still don’t think so but I’m slightly scared of that possibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
shoparound wrote:Like I said before, coming in everyone wanted Casey Benson off the team so quickly because of the Pritchard hype.
I posed this question after the Final Four run and nobody agreed with it not even me, but did Altman peak with that final four team? I still don’t think so but I’m slightly scared of that possibility.

Eh, I think all those guys leaving early really threw things out of whack. Then Troy leaving early and two guys transferring. So much turnover in such a short amount of time. I think Dana is fully capable of going back to the final four or more, but I do think they're going to have to figure out how to navigate high end recruits leaving early for the NBA and also transferring due to lack of playing time and that will take a little bit.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

pudgejeff wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:

Eh, I think all those guys leaving early really threw things out of whack. Then Troy leaving early and two guys transferring. So much turnover in such a short amount of time. I think Dana is fully capable of going back to the final four or more, but I do think they're going to have to figure out how to navigate high end recruits leaving early for the NBA and also transferring due to lack of playing time and that will take a little bit.
I agree, that final four team switched the culture here from counting on 3 maybe 4 star athletes staying a few years to 5 stars who are one and done, Altman will figure out how to adjust to this new culture and find a way to win.

Just posing that question out of curiosity and to play devil’s advocate.

dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

I really worry for our lack of play-making right now.

Probably our best playmaker right now is Peyton Pritchard, which is not preferable for any team that wishes to compete at the highest level. He is a solid PG. Just shouldn't be the primary play-maker on most teams. We have tried to run the offense through White and Bol, but again, that is not what they are fit to do. Unfortunately, I see this as our biggest problem because it is not a fixable solution in the short-term. Maybe Louis King can be that player for us, but I'm not sure.

Oddly enough, I think the best natural play-maker on this team is Will Richardson. However, he is being extremely reserved/conservative on the offensive end so we are not getting a true picture of what he can do. This may putting undue pressure on a player, but I think he is a key factor for us this yr.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Gross
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

dd10snoop28 wrote:I really worry for our lack of play-making right now.

Probably our best playmaker right now is Peyton Pritchard, which is not preferable for any team that wishes to compete at the highest level. He is a solid PG. Just shouldn't be the primary play-maker on most teams. We have tried to run the offense through White and Bol, but again, that is not what they are fit to do. Unfortunately, I see this as our biggest problem because it is not a fixable solution in the short-term. Maybe Louis King can be that player for us, but I'm not sure.

Oddly enough, I think the best natural play-maker on this team is Will Richardson. However, he is being extremely reserved/conservative on the offensive end so we are not getting a true picture of what he can do. This may putting undue pressure on a player, but I think he is a key factor for us this yr.
This is pretty much what I addressed earlier, the playing that we've seen from the Ducks this season is tied directly to PP as the "play maker"; he is just not able to do it at a level that a top team requires. So far this season the Ducks have won when the shots have gone in. But the shots haven't come out of the offense, ball/player movement. The Ducks have appeared disorganized all season.
Richardson does appear to have "game" that makes him a floor leader that PP can't match, but does appear to be playing in a reserved/conservative manner. Its been a matter of discussion as to how Altman can adjust to the One and done player(s) on a team. The first step looks to be is he willing to bring on a freshman PG over a non producing junior to get the offense going?
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

Merganzer wrote:
dd10snoop28 wrote:I really worry for our lack of play-making right now.

This is pretty much what I addressed earlier, the playing that we've seen from the Ducks this season is tied directly to PP as the "play maker"; he is just not able to do it at a level that a top team requires. So far this season the Ducks have won when the shots have gone in. But the shots haven't come out of the offense, ball/player movement. The Ducks have appeared disorganized all season.
Richardson does appear to have "game" that makes him a floor leader that PP can't match, but does appear to be playing in a reserved/conservative manner. Its been a matter of discussion as to how Altman can adjust to the One and done player(s) on a team. The first step looks to be is he willing to bring on a freshman PG over a non producing junior to get the offense going?
He has done it before, putting Pritchard in for Benson. However, I don't think this situation is comparable. Pritchard is averaging 14.5ppg, 4.5 rpg, and 5.3 apg. I'm not sure what more you guys want out of a point guard, or what's considered "producing." He's the best point guard this team has had since Aaron Brooks. I like Richardson a lot, and personally I like seeing Pritchard and Richardson on the floor together. I don't think blaming the offenses struggles (if you consider 80 ppg struggling) on Pritchard is fair.

Even in this game, he found guys open, and they weren't converting. White missed multiple wide open 3s, while Pritchard kept them in the game with his. What lost this game was the lack of any interior defense when Wooten went out. Bol is fantastic offensively, but as I've mentioned before, tends to play lazy defense. The pick and roll completely tore them up. Every time they'd even it back up, Texas Southern would just run that same play, and get an easy bucket.

I think Pritchard has oddly become this scape goat, probably because he's the elder statesman on the team, but he isn't the problem. I still think this is a deeper team, in terms of talent, than the Final Four team (that team was more experienced though, so I'm not saying this team is better than that one). Let's give them some time to work out the kinks. Plus, they are missing a guy that could potentially be their best player. Remember how bad that Final Four team looked at times early in the season with Brooks out? This loss was terrible, but I'm trying not to overreact to it too much. Hopefully it motivates them going forward, and can be used as a teaching moment for Altman.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

84 points is usually plenty good enough to route a team from the Southwestern Athletic Conference. But giving up 57 points at home in the second half?? Yipes!! Seems to me the biggest issue here is defense (the lack thereof), which is all about effort. I would think that can be fixed, especially now that the Ducks realize what can happen when they don't play good D.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

Greenblood wrote:84 points is usually plenty good enough to route a team from the Southwestern Athletic Conference. But giving up 57 points at home in the second half?? Yipes!! Seems to me the biggest issue here is defense (the lack thereof), which is all about effort. I would think that can be fixed, especially now that the Ducks realize what can happen when they don't play good D.
I agree on defense.. Paul White is not the best at this, Bol is good if someone in front of him shoots
but if they drive by not so much. Victor Bailey is aggressive on the defensive end and should see the
court more as does Kigab. Pritchard and Richardson should be on the floor more together. Pritchard cant do it
all by himself. And rebounding holly crap. Just standing there hoping the ball will come to you isnt
good enough. Weve seen this before, early season struggles then it comes along and we play like
we should