Kigab Transferring

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duck24
Senior

Kigab Transferring

Post by Duck24 »

Yeesh, tough year for the basketball team.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Kigab Transferring

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Just not a Pac-12 caliber player on offense. I did appreciate his hustle and desire to crash the boards though.

At least King came back before he transferred.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I think he saw his minutes continue to diminish as King works his way back. Kinda sucks because of how little depth Oregon actually has. Need Norris to really step it up now.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

This makes zero sense to me. He was just put into the starting lineup before his injury.

King will probably be gone after this season...

Just..makes...zero..sense.

I do think he was a Pac-12 caliber player, FWIW. He was not a good shooter, but as a hustle guy off the bench, absolutely was.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

Weird. My brother in law sat right behind the O bench at the BSU game last week and he said Kigab was clearly the guy most into the game, cheering the team. Said it looked like he was having a ton of fun. Seems odd.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Agree with Grant. This seems very strange. Why pull the plug in the middle of the season, especially right now? Oregon is down to 8 scholarship players and he was a starter before he got injured. He was obviously ahead of Okoro and Norris, as he was starting in front of those guys. Plus, there are plenty of minutes to go around right now for both him and King, due to long-term injuries to Wooten and Bol.

Something else going on here? Just doesn't make much sense.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

northbeachsf wrote:Agree with Grant. This seems very strange. Why pull the plug in the middle of the season, especially right now? Oregon is down to 8 scholarship players and he was a starter before he got injured. He was obviously ahead of Okoro and Norris, as he was starting in front of those guys. Plus, there are plenty of minutes to go around right now for both him and King, due to long-term injuries to Wooten and Bol.

Makes sense to me. He was already wanting to leave the program over the offseason. Coach Altman convinced him to stay, probably citing that King would be injured and there's a good chance he'd start for us. With King back, and Kigab having to deal with his own injury, he finally decided it was time to move on.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

UofDuck wrote:Weird. My brother in law sat right behind the O bench at the BSU game last week and he said Kigab was clearly the guy most into the game, cheering the team. Said it looked like he was having a ton of fun. Seems odd.
And I think he's pretty much always like that when he's not on the floor -- very enthusiastic for his teammates. But I certainly wasn't aware of any earlier desire, as TK1 posted, to transfer either.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Amazing how quickly this season went from one of the most anticipated seasons I could remember to complete dumpster fire.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
northbeachsf wrote:Agree with Grant. This seems very strange. Why pull the plug in the middle of the season, especially right now? Oregon is down to 8 scholarship players and he was a starter before he got injured. He was obviously ahead of Okoro and Norris, as he was starting in front of those guys. Plus, there are plenty of minutes to go around right now for both him and King, due to long-term injuries to Wooten and Bol.

Makes sense to me. He was already wanting to leave the program over the offseason. Coach Altman convinced him to stay, probably citing that King would be injured and there's a good chance he'd start for us. With King back, and Kigab having to deal with his own injury, he finally decided it was time to move on.
The timing makes sense, but if you're playing 15 minutes+ at a Power 5 program, it's stupid to transfer unless it's a personal situation he's dealing with.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

UOducksTK1 wrote:

Wow! I had no idea he was previously looking to transfer.

However, he absolutely should have pulled the trigger either before or after this season. He basically flushed an entire conference season this year and an entire OCC season next year down the toilet? Now he will play 3 Out of Conference seasons and 3 Conference seasons in his 4 years of eligibility (assuming he plays next winter)? So essentially, he just flushed an entire year of eligibility and still has a redshirt in his pocket? For a guy that desperately needs the development time and was getting it before he got injured, this just seems like a very strange decision.

Maybe I am not understanding the transfer rule?

He was starting and with only 7-8 active, healthy scholarship players on the roster, he was probably guaranteed to get 15-20 minutes per game in conference play! How do you pull the plug on that? He could have finished out the year, got some valuable experience, transferred, used his redshirt, and played four complete years.

For the record, I really like Kigab. I wish he would have stayed.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Does the fact that winter term hasn't start play into this at all? Wouldn't he be eligible for another team* beginning in winter of next year?
Last edited by StevensTechU on Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

So he would still be a sophomore next year?

If so, then that makes a lot more sense.
fan
One Star Recruit

Post by fan »

If you look back on his minutes you would see he never played longer than 2 to 3 minute stretches. Any player knows to establish some type of offensive flow or even just accumulate statistics the key is extended opportunity. 15 minutes consecutive is much better suited to success than 5 3 minute shifts which is what he was given consistently.

Agree he is much better defensively but think he would have/ could have contributed more offensively with a little more run.

We will never know. Wish him all the best. The future will tell us some more.