UCLA @ Oregon (Thur 6 PM ESPN)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

droop10
Five Star Recruit

Re: UCLA @ Oregon (Thur 6 PM ESPN)

Post by droop10 »

duckfan22 wrote:
maxduck wrote:
Merganzer wrote:Okay, this isn't a new idea. But, Villanova is the program I think Oregon/Altman should follow. Altman's style of coaching seems more akin to Jay Wright's than of Calipari. The Wildcats have won the championship twice in the last 5 years w/o a 1& done. Their rosters are composed of players similar to the Ducks' Final Four team. Oregon shouldn't say, "Thanks, no thanks" to Cole Anthony if he wants to sign on, but maybe he should be the exception rather than the rule on a team full of 3's and 4's who will stay, learn the system and become better, NBA Draft ready, in the process.
My thoughts exactly. The upside is that type of team is a lot more entertaining to watch. The last couple years I would rather watch the Oregon women's team, they generally demonstrate the teamwork that is lacking the few times I see the men play.
I have always thought the same. Villinova has put the style on display for all to see.
One and dones are great but you dont always get the cemistry ya need. But like you
say they greate teamwork. Dont get me wrong but i really like king and bol. but they get here
then there gone. You drop down a bit to guys like Richardson and Norris. they gain experience this
year that will help them in the next couple of years etc.
The problem is that kids refuse to sit and develop anymore. We already saw that with Norris. Kigab fits the bill of what you're describing, but he couldn't make it through year 2 before he wanted to head out. He was a guy that was even seeing 15 or so minutes per game. Kids are too impatient, so it's almost impossible to have these veteran teams anymore without a few years of growing pains, as these lower ranked 3-4 stars see significant playing time their freshman and sophomore years.

If you look at the team, it actually has quite a few of the guys that you're looking for them to get. Pritchard, Richardson, Wooten, Bailey, etc. It's funny, because I see people calling for Oregon to recruit these type of players, then simultaneously complaining as these players expectantly go through the growing pains of a 3-4 star player.

The problem with that type of system to recruiting is that once your team has a super successful season, all your best players will jump to the NBA. That leaves you in rebuilding mode for a couple years while the next wave grows and develops. We're seeing that a bit with Villanova this year as they've lost to Furman and Penn. It really just boils down to kids being way too impatient these days and looking for immediate gratification.

I firmly believe this team would have won the pac-12, but losing your best player obviously doesn't help that cause. King is still shaking off the rust, Wooten is now out, and they have 8 healthy players. It's really just a disaster of a season that couldn't be avoided. Maybe it's just because I don't follow other colleges as closely, but doesn't it seem like Oregon has a disproportionate amount of foot injuries? It also always seems to happen to the star players. It's obviously kind of fluky thing, but just seems weird.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

duckfan22 wrote:
maxduck wrote:
Merganzer wrote:Okay, this isn't a new idea. But, Villanova is the program I think Oregon/Altman should follow. Altman's style of coaching seems more akin to Jay Wright's than of Calipari. The Wildcats have won the championship twice in the last 5 years w/o a 1& done. Their rosters are composed of players similar to the Ducks' Final Four team. Oregon shouldn't say, "Thanks, no thanks" to Cole Anthony if he wants to sign on, but maybe he should be the exception rather than the rule on a team full of 3's and 4's who will stay, learn the system and become better, NBA Draft ready, in the process.
My thoughts exactly. The upside is that type of team is a lot more entertaining to watch. The last couple years I would rather watch the Oregon women's team, they generally demonstrate the teamwork that is lacking the few times I see the men play.
I have always thought the same. Villinova has put the style on display for all to see.
One and dones are great but you dont always get the cemistry ya need. But like you
say they greate teamwork. Dont get me wrong but i really like king and bol. but they get here
then there gone. You drop down a bit to guys like Richardson and Norris. they gain experience this

Yeah, right. So we should just stop recruiting the best players in the country...Please, please, can we recruit the lower stars? So you all can be bitching when the recruiting class looks like crap because Altman didn't recruit the best players. Can't have it both ways.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

Everythingsducky wrote:
duckfan22 wrote:
maxduck wrote:

Yeah, right. So we should just stop recruiting the best players in the country...Please, please, can we recruit the lower stars? So you all can be bitching when the recruiting class looks like crap because Altman didn't recruit the best players. Can't have it both ways.
No i still want them to recruit the best players. but they cant rely on them. Id still take them
as there is only a few. But you cant have a whole team of one and dones. trust me i never ever bitch about
anything Altman does. Been following duck basketball since Harter and Altman is the best
coach at Oregon ive seen.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

duckfan22 wrote:
Everythingsducky wrote:
duckfan22 wrote:
maxduck wrote:

No i still want them to recruit the best players. but they cant rely on them. Id still take them
as there is only a few. But you cant have a whole team of one and dones. trust me i never ever bitch about
anything Altman does. Been following duck basketball since Harter and Altman is the best
coach at Oregon ive seen.
Are you counting grad transfers as 1-and-dones? Because otherwise, they've never had more than 1-and-done on a team. King is iffy right now, so he might make 2. However, I have a feeling he might stick around a year, since his injury set him back. Even with grad transfers, I can't think of a year where there were more than 2 one-and-dones, so it's hardly been a reliance on them.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Everythingsducky wrote:
duckfan22 wrote:
maxduck wrote:

I don't want it both ways. I wrote that I would gladly accept a Cole Anthony, and I understand what was mentioned about Kigab,, but even in this climate, I think a team of players that aren't labeled one and done, will bond over time. Villanova is having an off year, but that was early, and I believe they are picking it up and I expect they will be in the NCAA's in March.
You deride the recruiting of lower stars, yet that recruiting produced the Final Four team. The focus on higher stars produced last year's, and this one. It also isn't just the amount of stars attached to a recruit It really is Altman's coaching technique. It does seem to be one that is better over time; teams get better as the season goes on, they get that much better as the years go on.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

I understand it was a colossal collapse, but that first 35 minutes of ball was the best this group has played. UCLA was lucky on a few of those late bombs.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

UofDuck wrote:I understand it was a colossal collapse, but that first 35 minutes of ball was the best this group has played. UCLA was lucky on a few of those late bombs.

Yeah. We are going in the right direction, so that is positive.
A few recruiting misses plus a bunch of injuries is going to set you back a little.

I just keep thinking how different this year would look if we just pulled Dort, Brandon Williams, and/or Cam Johnson as a transfer. Those are the types of players we have landed in the past. Guys that can slash to the basket and create shots.

100% sure Altman will get this fixed by next year.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

Merganzer wrote:
Everythingsducky wrote:
duckfan22 wrote:
maxduck wrote:

I don't want it both ways. I wrote that I would gladly accept a Cole Anthony, and I understand what was mentioned about Kigab,, but even in this climate, I think a team of players that aren't labeled one and done, will bond over time. Villanova is having an off year, but that was early, and I believe they are picking it up and I expect they will be in the NCAA's in March.
You deride the recruiting of lower stars, yet that recruiting produced the Final Four team. The focus on higher stars produced last year's, and this one. It also isn't just the amount of stars attached to a recruit It really is Altman's coaching technique. It does seem to be one that is better over time; teams get better as the season goes on, they get that much better as the years go on.
I’m not deriding the lower star players. UO isn’t a blue blood. This is unfamiliar territory. Fact is, they are in uncharted waters, as Altman is in getting these highly rated dudes. UO recruiting is getting stronger. Part of it is Altman is new to this as well. He will learn from what happened this year. But as a coach, he is expected to get the best he can, and he is doing it. Not his fault his ‘Zion’ or ‘RJ’ went down. Could have been a pretty damn good year, and the media was on the bandwagon with what they expected to have to work with.
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

Can we switch Pritchard with Ionescu?
The women's basketball team just annihilated yet another inferior team.
I'm very curious to see how this team responds tomorrow. Then again I said that after the OSU loss.
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

Similar ending but us on the winning end. And this one felt more deserving, rather than a collapse.