Ionescu Ducking Draft Questions

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

maxduck
Senior

Re: Ionescu Ducking Draft Questions

Post by maxduck »

oregontrack wrote:honestly, i've never paid attention to the early entry rule for the WNBA because you almost never hear about it. if she truly is projected as the #1 overall pick, i would advise her to leave as i would any other student-athlete projected to be a #1 pick.

if she defies my much sought after advise and comes back to school for one more go-round, all the better.
A'ja Wilson was the number 1 pick in 2018, a Google search lists her starting salary at $52,564. WNBA pay tops out at $115,000. Not sure those numbers justify leaving school early. Apparently players in Europe earn a lot more but no idea what the rules are.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

maxduck wrote:
oregontrack wrote:honestly, i've never paid attention to the early entry rule for the WNBA because you almost never hear about it. if she truly is projected as the #1 overall pick, i would advise her to leave as i would any other student-athlete projected to be a #1 pick.

if she defies my much sought after advise and comes back to school for one more go-round, all the better.
A'ja Wilson was the number 1 pick in 2018, a Google search lists her starting salary at $52,564. WNBA pay tops out at $115,000. Not sure those numbers justify leaving school early. Apparently players in Europe earn a lot more but no idea what the rules are.

Numbers like that make it better to stay and get your degree. The WNBA will always be there, but at some point she's going to be done playing, she's going to need another job.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

i'm going to go ahead and disagree with that. a'ja wilson's salary doesn't jump out at you (byproduct of playing in the wnba, as mentioned) but she's also signed endorsement deals with nike, pepsi, etc etc... there's a player's salary, and then there's net worth. once a'ja wilson is done playing, she's probably not going to need to work out of necessity, unless she's fabulously bad with money management. if sabrina is projected into a similar stratosphere, nike is going to take care of her. she'll have similar opportunities with other brands.

i would argue that striking while the iron is hot w/ the wnba would be far more valuable, as her professional playing career has a finite limit to it. finishing her higher ed degree is what can wait.
ImageImageImageImageImage
AshlandDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by AshlandDuck »

oregontrack wrote:i'm going to go ahead and disagree with that. a'ja wilson's salary doesn't jump out at you (byproduct of playing in the wnba, as mentioned) but she's also signed endorsement deals with nike, pepsi, etc etc... there's a player's salary, and then there's net worth. once a'ja wilson is done playing, she's probably not going to need to work out of necessity, unless she's fabulously bad with money management. if sabrina is projected into a similar stratosphere, nike is going to take care of her. she'll have similar opportunities with other brands.

i would argue that striking while the iron is hot w/ the wnba would be far more valuable, as her professional playing career has a finite limit to it. finishing her higher ed degree is what can wait.

If she plays another year it's possible she could go down as having arguably having the best college career of anyone in WCBB history. On one side you are talking about endorsements being the relevant factor as far as income, but in the long run, if endorsements are the relevant factor as far as income for women's players, I think the heightened legend status would better help her with regard to endorsements. I think of Pete Maravich when I think of Sabrina. He's better known for what he did at LSU than what he did in the NBA. His life was cut short, but I still believe he'd be profiting today based off of what he did at LSU if he were still alive.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Just looked up the WNBS draft rules. It says the prospect must be 22 years of age, and have no eligibility left. So unless that rule was changed, we don't have to worry about her leaving.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

buckmarkduck wrote:Just looked up the WNBS draft rules. It says the prospect must be 22 years of age, and have no eligibility left. So unless that rule was changed, we don't have to worry about her leaving.
Lee Corso just dropped in, "Not so fast my friend, The league requires draft entrants to be at least 22 years old during the year in which the draft takes place and has no remaining college eligibility or renounces any future college eligibility."

https://www.wnba.com/faq/
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Merganzer wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:Just looked up the WNBS draft rules. It says the prospect must be 22 years of age, and have no eligibility left. So unless that rule was changed, we don't have to worry about her leaving.
Lee Corso just dropped in, "Not so fast my friend, The league requires draft entrants to be at least 22 years old during the year in which the draft takes place and has no remaining college eligibility or renounces any future college eligibility."

https://www.wnba.com/faq/
She turns 22 in December of 2019. The draft also takes place in 2019. Ergo she and anyone else who will be 22 this year is eligible.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Register-Guard piece on Satou and Nyara Sabally https://www.ducksports.com/sports/20190 ... ext-season

From the article

The Ducks project the younger Sabally’s game to look like a hybrid of her sister’s perimeter presence and junior forward Ruthy Hebard’s efficient post play.

“We have not had a player here like Nyara,” Campbell said. “The combination of Satou and Ruthy is fair because she’s a very powerful athlete, strong and physical like Ruthy, but she has some guard skills. Not as many as Satou, but she’s more refined than Ruthy. So she can bring the ball up in transition, she’s a very good passer, she is more comfortable making the 15-footers. It’s going to be really neat to see her out here. ...
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

As was stated, endorsement deals are a big thing. As such, I think Ionescu would be wise to continue to build her brand in college for another year. Not joking in the least bit. Candace Parker isn't a household name because of what she did in the WNBA, it's because of what she did at Tennessee. I would advise Sabrina to come back, smash every record, and win a national championship because it will be the most prudent move in the long-run. Getting her degree is a cherry on top.
Last edited by StevensTechU on Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
duck55
Senior

Post by duck55 »

StevensTechU wrote:As was stated, endorsement deals are a big thing. As such, I think Ionescu would be wise to continue to build her brand in college for another year. Not joking in the least bit. Candance Parker isn't a household name because of what she did in the WNBA, it's because of what she did at Tennessee. I would advise Sabrina to come back, smash every record, and win a second national championship because it will be the most prudent move in the long-run. Getting her degree is a cherry on top.
Fixed it for you.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

FishDuck has a Bob Rickert article this morning which says...

Ionescu applied for and was accepted to Oregon’s School of Journalism graduate program. She is graduating after just three years.

Am I wrong to believe she is returning for her senior year?
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

maxduck wrote:FishDuck has a Bob Rickert article this morning which says...

Ionescu applied for and was accepted to Oregon’s School of Journalism graduate program. She is graduating after just three years.

She likely is but this isn't a sign of that. The WNBA, in all of its wisdom, holds the draft 3 days after the NC game. Now you can say they are striking while the iron is hot and people are interested in Womens Basketball, or you can say that they aren't doing anything to promote the event by having it so close to the NC game. This will also make it harder for players to leave early because they don't get as much time to make their decision. Nor do they have a Scouting Combine.
DuckNV
One Star Recruit

Post by DuckNV »

maxduck wrote:FishDuck has a Bob Rickert article this morning which says...

I don't know if it's the same situation as declaring for the NBA draft, but in order to be able to declare for the NBA draft and not be ineligible to retain your amateur standing you must remain enrolled at your school.

My huge preference is that this means Ionescu is definitely returning (which I agree would be good for her all around) but I'm not sure this can be interpreted as a sure indication that she is.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Agree with your selfish thoughts. IF she comes back she might set some NCAA records that won't be broken for a long time...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

nogerO wrote:

Agree with your selfish thoughts. IF she comes back she might set some more NCAA records that won't be broken for a long time...
She's already got the career triple double 8-)