NET Rankings

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

northbeachsf
Freshman

NET Rankings

Post by northbeachsf »

Is it me, or is this NET thing a little crazy?

1) Oregon is now the second highest rated team in the conference with a NET of 67.
2) Washington only falls 3 spots after losing to winless Cal, but ASU falls 5 spots after losing on the road to Oregon?
3) OSU is in third and they are in the high 80s?
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: NET Rankings

Post by UOducksTK1 »

It's definitely off. crazy to think if we win out in the Pac-12, we could legit be the 2nd team to sneak into the tourney still lol!!!

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Jumped three spots to No 64
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

northbeachsf wrote:Jumped three spots to No 64
ASU is the last team in right now. If we beat UW/WSU, I'm confident we would be the next team in after Washington (or they would just take 1 Pac-12 team).

northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Stayed at 64 after the win at WSU.

ASU has dropped to 71, so they are likely in serious trouble.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

lol @ us being the 2nd most likely Pac-12 team to make it at this point. I think only one Pac-12 team goes dancing.. Crazy.

UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

Looks like our net ranking now stands at 59. It’s trending the right way to end the season.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Altman has them playing outstanding defense right now.
If I was any other team, I would not want to play Oregon right now.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Interesting: a handful of teams lower than Oregon in the rankings (including ASU) are considered 'on the bubble', but I haven't found any articles mentioning Oregon in that category. That three-game losing streak really killed the Ducks' chances. I don't think beating WSU and Utah will help much. Gotta win the whole thing.
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

Phalanx wrote:Interesting: a handful of teams lower than Oregon in the rankings (including ASU) are considered 'on the bubble', but I haven't found any articles mentioning Oregon in that category. That three-game losing streak really killed the Ducks' chances. I don't think beating WSU and Utah will help much. Gotta win the whole thing.
So What exactly is this NET ranking and how instrumental is it selection process?
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

bigsugarduck wrote:
Phalanx wrote:Interesting: a handful of teams lower than Oregon in the rankings (including ASU) are considered 'on the bubble', but I haven't found any articles mentioning Oregon in that category. That three-game losing streak really killed the Ducks' chances. I don't think beating WSU and Utah will help much. Gotta win the whole thing.
So What exactly is this NET ranking and how instrumental is it selection process?
It's basically the NCAA's updated version of the RPI and one of the key metrics they'll use now to select tournament teams.
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

I dont really remember what was typical of the RPI....was being in the top 50 or so a guaranteed bid for a power conference?

Thought this article was interesting to get a flavor for what the tails of the bell-curve look like...
https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... the-years/

If Oregon can get 3 wins in Vegas, and come up just short in the Championship game they would finish the season winning 7/8 and be 22-13. Oregon would be have to be an attractive bubble team by that point, right?
Last edited by bigsugarduck on Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

The thing I recall most about NET is that it REALLY loves it when you win on the road.
UofDuck
Senior

NET Rankings

Post by UofDuck »

bigsugarduck wrote:If Oregon can get 3 wins in Vegas, and come up just short in the Championship game they would finish the season winning 7/8 and have be 22-13. Oregon would be have to be an attractive bubble team by that point, right?
I honestly think they could maybe slide in if they show really well in the PAC tourney. If the Ducks make it to the finals and play the championship game close, they’ve got a chance. The Net ranking certainly will help.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

A 59 NET ranking will not help. The at-large selections usually only go down to 12-seeds, don't they? The rest are conference champions from the smaller conferences. With six 12-seeds (two extra for the play-in games), that means the NET ranking will only help if it is Top 50, probably 45 or better. Every projection I have read has teams lower than Oregon in the rankings getting in ahead of the ducks, so NET will only be a strong argument if it is lower than 45.

Given the lack of quality opponents in the Pac 12 tournament, and the fact that plenty of bubble teams in the top 70 or so from major conferences will be playing and beating more difficult opponents and getting the attention of the selection committee, I think the only chance the ducks have is winning the tournament and getting the auto-bid. Anything less will land them in the NIT.