Rumors Flying - Altman to Nebraska???

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

buckmarkduck
All-American

Re: Rumors Flying - Altman to Nebraska???

Post by buckmarkduck »

duckfan22 wrote:
mattc94 wrote:
nogerO wrote:
mattc94 wrote:That actually wouldn't surprised me at all. Altman probably realizes his career has peaked and wants a job closer to his family home base in Crete. I'm not going to nash my teeth if he leaves though. I think we've been lucky to have him. Altman done an amazing job and raised the overall profile of UO basketball. We'd be hard pressed to replace him though. Not exactly like we have a ton of alumni turned wiz college coaches to select from. And it always seems like there is some huge university that is willing to throw as much money as needed at the latest hot property.

Except for Oregon apparently...
We were willing to throw a lot of money at Brad Stevens when he was at Butler. In fact, he probably would have accepted but they went on that tournament run. We got Altman instead. I'd say we did okay. Part of the problem is that no matter how well we pay a coach there will always be higher profile jobs. Mark Few realized that when Kilkenny offered him the UO job. "Why accept a job at P5 conference team that isn't even that much more nationally visible that my current one?" And then you have the wonder that is Larry Scott destroying any amount of positive benefits being associated with the Pac-12 brand. I can easily see how a coach of Altman's record would want to go elsewhere. The job is absolutely relentless and recruiting is cut throat. You wanna go where you feel you're in the best situation. He cut his teeth in the Big 8 and MVC. That's area is home to him.
As long as Scott is still pac-12 commish the hi profile coaches will stay away. Just not the money
involved that other conferences can offer. I can also understand the pull for Altman to go be close
to family. Always figured he would if Nebraska job were to open. Would be a huge loss but he
has done so much for Oregon basketball. Will always be an Altman fan no matter where he is..except
in seattle..lol
Nebraska has been open since he came to UO. Why would he go back now? He's got a great class coming in here and if he goes there it will be a 4 year rebuild at best just to make the NCAA. By then he's 65-66. And why would Nebraska want a 4-5 year rental? If they are serious they would go after someone closer to 50 or less.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Seems unlikely. Staff here is so stable and he's been to a Final Four here.

That said, you never know about home town teams.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Nice that Mullens bucked up just squashed any rumors with that extension.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

So much for internet “rumors.” :lol:
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Rob Mullens is such trash.

*sarcasm*