Rumors Flying - Altman to Nebraska???

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Alan
Senior

Re: Rumors Flying - Altman to Nebraska???

Post by Alan »

shoparound wrote:Wow, but wouldn't surprising considering the season. And would makes sense in some regards.
Kelly Graves to coach the mens team next?
Only if he brings Ionescu with him!
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Alan wrote:Just a thought, the "war room" board currently has 5025 topics, how many if the rumors were removed? Heyward will be hired as Ducks next DC? ....... what's a sports message board without rumors, some even turn into fact.
No one's saying remove the rumors, just post a link to where you heard it if possible.

And thanks for the link 07.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

northbeachsf wrote:http://www.kmaland.com/sports/seven-can ... 91dec.html

Matt Prehm from 247 - "Dana Altman mentioned as the possible target by Nebraska should it open."

Some others on twitter:
"Rumors on rumors but hearing Dana Altman is pretty much a done deal to become Nebraska’s next Basketball coach after seasons end."

"I am hearing Dana Altman to Nebraska. One of my AAU guys told me."

I could go on as there is a lot more of this on social media. Not saying it is going to happen, but I also didn't just make it up.
My wife's sisters cousins nephew said Altman mentioned Nebraska in his sleep last month..."it was on the internet so you know it's true!"
Last edited by nogerO on Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
mattc94
Four Star Recruit

Post by mattc94 »

In many ways that actually wouldn't surprised me. Altman probably realizes his career has peaked and wants a job closer to his family home base in Crete. I still think it's all talk but at the same time... not totally unexpected. Bit I'm not going to nash my teeth if it happens. I think we've been lucky to have him. Altman done an amazing job and raised the overall profile of UO basketball. We'd be hard pressed to replace him though. Not exactly like we have a ton of alumni turned wiz college coaches to select from. And it always seems like there is some huge university that is willing to throw as much money as needed at the latest hot property.
Last edited by mattc94 on Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

[quote="mattc94"]That actually wouldn't surprised me at all. Altman probably realizes his career has peaked and wants a job closer to his family home base in Crete. I'm not going to nash my teeth if he leaves though. I think we've been lucky to have him. Altman done an amazing job and raised the overall profile of UO basketball. We'd be hard pressed to replace him though. Not exactly like we have a ton of alumni turned wiz college coaches to select from. And it always seems like there is some huge university that is willing to throw as much money as needed at the latest hot property.

Except for Oregon apparently...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
mattc94
Four Star Recruit

Post by mattc94 »

nogerO wrote:
mattc94 wrote:That actually wouldn't surprised me at all. Altman probably realizes his career has peaked and wants a job closer to his family home base in Crete. I'm not going to nash my teeth if he leaves though. I think we've been lucky to have him. Altman done an amazing job and raised the overall profile of UO basketball. We'd be hard pressed to replace him though. Not exactly like we have a ton of alumni turned wiz college coaches to select from. And it always seems like there is some huge university that is willing to throw as much money as needed at the latest hot property.

We were willing to throw a lot of money at Brad Stevens when he was at Butler. In fact, he probably would have accepted but they went on that tournament run. We got Altman instead. I'd say we did okay. Part of the problem is that no matter how well we pay a coach there will always be higher profile jobs. Mark Few realized that when Kilkenny offered him the UO job. "Why accept a job at P5 conference team that isn't even that much more nationally visible that my current one?" And then you have the wonder that is Larry Scott destroying any amount of positive benefits being associated with the Pac-12 brand. I can easily see how a coach of Altman's record would want to go elsewhere. The job is absolutely relentless and recruiting is cut throat. You wanna go where you feel you're in the best situation. He cut his teeth in the Big 8 and MVC. That's area is home to him.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

mattc94 wrote:
nogerO wrote:
mattc94 wrote:That actually wouldn't surprised me at all. Altman probably realizes his career has peaked and wants a job closer to his family home base in Crete. I'm not going to nash my teeth if he leaves though. I think we've been lucky to have him. Altman done an amazing job and raised the overall profile of UO basketball. We'd be hard pressed to replace him though. Not exactly like we have a ton of alumni turned wiz college coaches to select from. And it always seems like there is some huge university that is willing to throw as much money as needed at the latest hot property.

We were willing to throw a lot of money at Brad Stevens when he was at Butler. In fact, he probably would have accepted but they went on that tournament run. We got Altman instead. I'd say we did okay. Part of the problem is that no matter how well we pay a coach there will always be higher profile jobs. Mark Few realized that when Kilkenny offered him the UO job. "Why accept a job at P5 conference team that isn't even that much more nationally visible that my current one?" And then you have the wonder that is Larry Scott destroying any amount of positive benefits being associated with the Pac-12 brand. I can easily see how a coach of Altman's record would want to go elsewhere. The job is absolutely relentless and recruiting is cut throat. You wanna go where you feel you're in the best situation. He cut his teeth in the Big 8 and MVC. That's area is home to him.
As long as Scott is still pac-12 commish the hi profile coaches will stay away. Just not the money
involved that other conferences can offer. I can also understand the pull for Altman to go be close
to family. Always figured he would if Nebraska job were to open. Would be a huge loss but he
has done so much for Oregon basketball. Will always be an Altman fan no matter where he is..except
in seattle..lol
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Tray Dub wrote:
Alan wrote:Just a thought, the "war room" board currently has 5025 topics, how many if the rumors were removed? Heyward will be hired as Ducks next DC? ....... what's a sports message board without rumors, some even turn into fact.
No one's saying remove the rumors, just post a link to where you heard it if possible.

And thanks for the link 07.
Just saying rumors are a big part of sports message boards...... and yes a link would be nice, but still plenty of "my sources says"
mattc94
Four Star Recruit

Post by mattc94 »

duckfan22 wrote:
mattc94 wrote:
nogerO wrote:

As long as Scott is still pac-12 commish the hi profile coaches will stay away. Just not the money
involved that other conferences can offer. I can also understand the pull for Altman to go be close
to family. Always figured he would if Nebraska job were to open. Would be a huge loss but he
has done so much for Oregon basketball. Will always be an Altman fan no matter where he is..except
in seattle..lol

Yeah. Scott's dug in like a tick. But all I can say is (if Altman leaves...) whomever we hire, I hope they have some local connections. It seems like everybody we hire is just waiting "for mama to call them home' or "my dream job has opened up." I'd sacrifice a few wins for someone who actually wanted to be here. I miss somebody likes Rich Brooks who loves living here.
Last edited by mattc94 on Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

well, ernie will probably be looking for work in about a week.
ImageImageImageImageImage
ICamel
Two Star Recruit

Post by ICamel »

oregontrack wrote:well, ernie will probably be looking for work in about a week.
Earnestnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooo!
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

oregontrack wrote:well, ernie will probably be looking for work in about a week.
MOVE!!!
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I'm not saying it will happen and I doubt it will, but I feel like there is a reasonable chance he does leave and I wouldn't blame him if so. I've said this since the Final Four run, I was afraid he peaked at that moment and that he isn't meant for a program that's "arrived", but rather for building up beaten down programs into relevancy. When he came in Oregon was a bottom feeder of the conference, and there's no doubt he drastically turned things around here. However, once he got to the Final Four and big expectations arrived, it doesn't seem like he has been able to adjust to the expectations nor has he seemed to have enjoyed his job. I feel like this has been visible with his interview this season. He seems to like to work with grad transfer and the 3, maybe 4 star guys who need to work hard and prove themselves to make it. He doesn't seem to like young athletic high profile guys as much. But at the same time, he realizes you never say no to a Bol Bol, Troy Brown, or Louis King talent when they come along, so he had to recruit those guys. So I guess with Altman's coaching style and who he works best with, it's sort of a damned if you do, damned if you don't when it comes to recruiting those 5 star talents. I think this is very enticing for Altman, may not make as much money, but he'll be home in Nebraska and will be back to working with a team that could desperately use his help. Again, I don't want this to happen, I don't think it will happen, but it sorta makes sense. I think Oregon would be fine though, they'd get a good replacement who might be more fitted for where Oregon is at.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

i think i disagree with just about everything in that post. altman's career seems just the opposite of what you're describing, he goes somewhere and enjoys stable, continued success for years and years.

i don't understand the 5 star criticism, either. bol got injured, and it is what it is. but troy brown and louis king were/are both good players for us. seems like the criticism should be directed at the less productive parts of our roster, no? i mean -- victor bailey is a good example. he's a second year guy, and a former 4-star recruit on top of it. and king is better than bailey, despite bailey's experience. and king's freshman year productivity will likely still be greater than whatever bailey gives us next year, his third year in the program.

if altman has a fault (and of course he does, all coaches do) it seems he got caught with his pants down after the final four team all decided second round paychecks were good enough for them and they left early. i never felt he was fully prepared for it, and we scrambled last year to field a competitive roster with some pieces (elijiah brown) that just didn't fit. this year is disappointing, of course, but our two 5-stars played what... one game together? two? it's perfectly fine to feel frustrated about how this season developed, but i just don't see how one points to brown or bol and wishes we had gone another direction.

it's also fair to criticize recruiting misses. pritchard has not developed into the consistent point guard we were hoping for. whether or not you want to put that at the feet of the coaches for failure to develop or an overreach in the recruiting process is up to you, but not every recruit is a hit and the staff takes ownership of that one way or the other.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

northbeachsf wrote:
I could go on as there is a lot more of this on social media. Not saying it is going to happen, but I also didn't just make it up.
I question this heavily actually; there is some stuff on social media but I wouldn't call it a lot by any stretch to try and validate those rumors and it also seems to be an annual thing for huskers to speculate that the local kid who was never a Husker is going to want to take over the program.