Question on Bol Bol

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Alan
Senior

Question on Bol Bol

Post by Alan »

The direct question I hope someone knows the answer to is, is Bol Bol still attending classes? Is he still taking care of his end of his scholarship? Any slight chance he comes back? Yea it's a stretch, just wondering if he is taking care of his classes so he could if he wanted to.
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Re: Question on Bol Bol

Post by duckduckgoose »

Alan wrote:The direct question I hope someone knows the answer to is, is Bol Bol still attending classes? Is he still taking care of his end of his scholarship? Any slight chance he comes back? Yea it's a stretch, just wondering if he is taking care of his classes so he could if he wanted to.
I would imagine that since he is tripping with the team and sitting on the bench, he would be fulfilling his obligations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck58 »

While I think it's 95% he's gone, he seems to be quite intelligent, therefore, he's most likely keeping all options available. With Okoro's improvement, if he and King return, this team would be something to behold next year.
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

duck58 wrote:While I think it's 95% he's gone, he seems to be quite intelligent, therefore, he's most likely keeping all options available. With Okoro's improvement, if he and King return, this team would be something to behold next year.
I mean his draft projection is down to 18-20. If he kept doing what he was doing this year before the injury, he would have been at worst the 3-4th pick right?

Questions he should consider before leaving Oregon for good are:

What is the difference in pay and long term earning potential between a top 5 pick and a top 20 pick?
What kind of team do I want to be drafted to? It's definitely not the worst if someone like San Antonio drafts you later in the 1st...
Am I as strong as I can be? Can Oregon prepare my body for the NBA more?
Can I do something special with Oregon next year? Is a National Title a possibility?

I think a reasonable case could be made for working on your body, completing a full season of college ball, and getting drafted 15 spots higher...But I honestly dont know the financial implications in making that bet...
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

I agree there's a decent argument that he should come back for another year, but I'm pretty pessimistic just because his tweet announcing his injury sounded so definitive in saying his time at Oregon had come to a premature end. I took that to mean he was decided on leaving. It's possible he rethinks that, given his slip in mock drafts and how much fun this team seems to be having, but I gotta think it's a long-shot.
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck58 »

Tray Dub wrote:I agree there's a decent argument that he should come back for another year, but I'm pretty pessimistic just because his tweet announcing his injury sounded so definitive in saying his time at Oregon had come to a premature end. I took that to mean he was decided on leaving. It's possible he rethinks that, given his slip in mock drafts and how much fun this team seems to be having, but I gotta think it's a long-shot.
That's what I was thinking. He really seems to be having fun with the team even though not playing. I just think he's keeping all options open.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

He was projected 5-15 before the injury.

He’s now considered 15-22 range.

At his height and frame, if he got hurt again it’s very unlikely he goes in the first round. If it weren’t for his height I think he should come back but he needs to go while he can. Big guys with foot injuries usually doesn’t bode well.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I'm really curious about the "If Louis King comes back...."

You never know, but he just doesn't seem like a player who could get NBA minutes for a long while.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

StevensTechU wrote:I'm really curious about the "If Louis King comes back...."

You never know, but he just doesn't seem like a player who could get NBA minutes for a long while.
Could have said the same thing about Troy Brown jr though. He went 15th overall in a historically deep draft.

I think King has significant advantages over Brown.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Boom wrote:

Could have said the same thing about Troy Brown jr though. He went 15th overall in a historically deep draft.

Really? Brown, to me, looked a couple years advanced from King. And much more fluid of an athlete.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

StevensTechU wrote:
Boom wrote:

Really? Brown, to me, looked a couple years advanced from King. And much more fluid of an athlete.
King is taller/longer and a better outside shooter. He's versatile defensively. I don't see any real separation athletically. However King's handle isn't as good as Brown's.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Here's a question... Bol Bol has 8 brothers and sisters.

How much does that enter into his decision process?

With all of Manute Bol's charitable activism, here and in Sudan, is it possible there is actually little of his NBA money left after his passing?
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

Boom wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
Boom wrote:

King is taller/longer and a better outside shooter. He's versatile defensively. I don't see any real separation athletically. However King's handle isn't as good as Brown's.
King does not have a better shot than Brown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

duckduckgoose wrote:King does not have a better shot than Brown.
How do you figure that? King has shot a higher percentage from 3pt distance on a higher volume of shots than Brown did. 35.7% compared to 29.1%. King also has a slightly higher free throw percentage.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

It has been reported several times in the past that Bol is still taking classes. He is still very involved with the team, as you even see him sometimes warming up during shoot around (he was shooting threes with his scooter earlier in the year). After the PAC-12 tourney, his teammates handed him the trophy, so you know he is well liked and respected. Most players in his position would have left, hired an agent, and hired a trainer to rehab for the draft. He is clearly a VERY smart young man with the way he is playing this because he still has all his options open.

In my opinion, I think he should enter the draft as long as he is in the first round. However, I said right after this happened that I think he is going to come back and I am sticking to that. He is under valued right now around 20. As another posted said, he is a top 5 pick without the injury. I just think we see him again next year.

I thought King was leaning towards entering the draft? In my opinion, I think he should stay one more year. In my opinion, King as a freshman is a more complete player than Brown was last year, but Brown was more athletic and maybe has more upside,