MBB: #4 Oregon @ Utah (Sat 2 PM Pac-12 Network)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Re: MBB: #4 Oregon @ Utah (Sat 2 PM Pac-12 Network)

Post by pudgejeff »

ducksrock wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:yeah what was the rule change that caused that abomination>?

This is all I have found as an explanation (copied and pasted)

Here’s how it happened.

While Mikael Jantunen was sinking a 3-pointer, Allen was fouled by Shakur Juiston in the lane and it was deemed a flagrant one foul. So Allen got two free throws and the Utes retained possession, after which Allen scored inside.

Just like that it was 58-56 Utah.
The rule change is now that when there is a foul away from the ball during a shot, instead of it being and 1 free throw, the shooting team gets possession back.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Good win. This weekend makes you wish you could just fast forward to march. I don't know how many more pac-12 officiated road games I can stomach. Both games combined fouls were 42-22, FTs were 45-21, and the Utah game was particularly bad. How the team who had a majority of their points in the paint only shoots 4 FTs while the team who shot 30 3s shoots 20 is beyond me.

That said, I love Will Rich. He's the rare player that knows exactly what he is, plays his games, and doesn't try to be something he isn't. Duarte should take notes.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Gosh that is a terrible rule change.

And yeah, both games had some serious 8 on 5 moments. The Wright/Pritchard difference in the Colorado game was a freakin' joke. Wright was 2 hand checking Payton the entire game, which is a foul on any other player in the league. Of Payton's 4 fouls, 2 of them were completely ticky tack.
mattc94
Four Star Recruit

Post by mattc94 »

I wasn't surprised with how physical it got but the reffing was a joke. They were bodying and playing grab @ss the whole game. Dante finally just lowered the shoulder and took that out. Actually. I thought the whole team beefed up their play towards the end of the second half. But it didn't matter because in the end we won a hard fought battle. A good learning experience at this juncture in the season. Look forward to getting Arizona and ASU at home.
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:Good win. This weekend makes you wish you could just fast forward to march. I don't know how many more pac-12 officiated road games I can stomach. Both games combined fouls were 42-22, FTs were 45-21, and the Utah game was particularly bad. How the team who had a majority of their points in the paint only shoots 4 FTs while the team who shot 30 3s shoots 20 is beyond me.

That said, I love Will Rich. He's the rare player that knows exactly what he is, plays his games, and doesn't try to be something he isn't. Duarte should take notes.
Agreed on Will Rich. Really encouraging to see. He is breaking out of his bubble. Question of the day: what is Will Rich's ceiling? Curious what other people think.

I think Duarte is improving each game in finding his role. He's not there yet, but each game is getting better. First 4-5 games he was waaay too tentative (understandable as he was new to the team). Since then he has had ultra-aggressive games and ultra-reserved games. I feel safe in saying that, in general, a more aggressive Duarte is a better Duarte for the ducks. Of course, he needs to pick his spots a lot better, but there's no doubt that he is the #2 shot-maker on this team and will be big time player for us down the stretch.

As far as finding their role, Juiston is also important. I think he'll find his role, but he looks out of sorts right now. He, like Duarte, is a key play-maker for us so him finding his role is big time.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

dd10snoop28 wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:Good win. This weekend makes you wish you could just fast forward to march. I don't know how many more pac-12 officiated road games I can stomach. Both games combined fouls were 42-22, FTs were 45-21, and the Utah game was particularly bad. How the team who had a majority of their points in the paint only shoots 4 FTs while the team who shot 30 3s shoots 20 is beyond me.

Agreed on Will Rich. Really encouraging to see. He is breaking out of his bubble. Question of the day: what is Will Rich's ceiling? Curious what other people think.

I think Duarte is improving each game in finding his role. He's not there yet, but each game is getting better. First 4-5 games he was waaay too tentative (understandable as he was new to the team). Since then he has had ultra-aggressive games and ultra-reserved games. I feel safe in saying that, in general, a more aggressive Duarte is a better Duarte for the ducks. Of course, he needs to pick his spots a lot better, but there's no doubt that he is the #2 shot-maker on this team and will be big time player for us down the stretch.

As far as finding their role, Juiston is also important. I think he'll find his role, but he looks out of sorts right now. He, like Duarte, is a key play-maker for us so him finding his role is big time.
I see a very high ceiling for Will Rich. He has a lot of PP's game; mainly getting to the basket, creating his own shot, also a good rebounder. He plays D and rebounds. A plus he has over Pritchard is that after a run in the NCAA's his freshman year, he doesn't have the weight of the team on his shoulders as a sophomore. He has broken out of his bubble and should continue to improve and be the lead Duck next season.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Will Richardson is in baller mode. I love his game.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

dd10snoop28 wrote:

That's a good question re: WR. He doesn't look to have any obvious limitations. Besides everything already mentioned he has great size/length for a PG, and is a great defender in large part because of that. It seems like athleticism may be his one weak spot but it's certainly pretty minor; he has plenty enough to get by from what I've seen. He just needs to get one whatever secret sauce PP got on halfway through last season and he'll be good to go ha.