WBB NCAAA S16: #6 Oregon vs #2 Louisville (Sun 4 PM ESPN)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

WBB NCAAA S16: #6 Oregon vs #2 Louisville (Sun 4 PM ESPN)

Post by greenyellow »

bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Re: WBB NCAAA S16: #6 Oregon vs #2 Louisville (Sun 4 PM ESPN

Post by bigsugarduck »

First, Oregon's season has been a success in my books by reaching the Sweet Sixteen. Given the tumult of this year, the top 10 aspirations many of us had were unrealistic.

That said, I see no reason why they cannot get past Louisville, who has looked very underwhelming so far in this tournament. Beat Louisville and I would not be surprised to see them make the Final Four with the confidence beating Louisville would engender.
Last edited by bigsugarduck on Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

I haven't seen Louisville play. Looking at their roster they have an Ari McDonald like 5'6" point guard who is by far their leading scorer and another 5'7" guard who is second on the team in minutes.

They get lots of steals but they commit a lot of fouls in doing it. They usually win the turnover battle handily. Not tall but athletic enough to usually win rebounds. A good but not great shooting team. Three good shot blockers, the best of which is a 6'1" guard, not their posts.

Their strength in turnovers versus our weakness in the same will be an area we'll have to focus on.

Anyone who has watched them play want to give a scouting report beyond the stats?
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Louisville is a flawed team like Oregon. They've had a problem with starting games really slow and having to battle back, so today's game was not an aberration for them. Their best player is young, and as such, they struggle with consistency.

My aunt, who is Louisville through in through, texted me that she just hopes the Ducks don't beat them too badly. That tells you that their fans are as uncertain about their squad as we are about ours. I frankly don't think this will be a matchup battle. I think the winner is just going to be who is having a good day on Sunday.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

StevensTechU wrote:Louisville is a flawed team like Oregon. They've had a problem with starting games really slow and having to battle back, so today's game was not an aberration for them. Their best player is young, and as such, they struggle with consistency.

My aunt, who is Louisville through in through, texted me that she just hopes the Ducks don't beat them too badly. That tells you that their fans are as uncertain about their squad as we are about ours. I frankly don't think this will be a matchup battle. I think the winner is just going to be who is having a good day on Sunday.
Looking over their season record they have won a lot of games but only played one really good team all year and they got crushed by them. They don't seem invincible by any means. As you say, it will probably come down to whose shot is falling. That is unless Oregon's second half "Big Girl ball" against Georgia wasn't an aberration and Oregon wont be dependent on whether the 3 ball is falling.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Northwestern really should have won that game. Dominated for nearly 3 quarters.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
panamaslim
Two Star Recruit

Post by panamaslim »

Really hope I'm wrong but I think freshman Hailey Van Lith gives the edge to Louisville. She's just one player, but the equivalent of a Bueckers or Clark, all 5-star guards. Get ready, Maddie Scherr - defend!
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Struggling to make anything early on and not enough ball movement.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Anyone with a streaming link?
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

They have missed wide open 3s, lay-ups and great looks on post ups. Louisville is missing tough shots because of Oregon's length and good defense, but the result is the same, no points.

Bad unnecessary frustration 2nd foul committed by Prince. Now she'll sit a quarter and a half in the first half.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

greenyellow wrote:Anyone with a streaming link?
Try stream east. I'm able to get the espn stuff online.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Duck07 wrote:
greenyellow wrote:Anyone with a streaming link?
Try stream east. I'm able to get the espn stuff online.
Don't see the game listed there or any of the other streaming sites I usually use.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

They're playing way too tight. Trailing 23-10.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Anything can happen obviously but this team looks like this moment is too big for them. Solid effort having gotten to this point but they'll have to do a 180 to comeback in this.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

The difference in this game so far is Louisville's Dana Evans. They've got no answer for her on the defensive end. Plus on offense, the Ducks really don't have anyone who can create their own shot and no one is shooting all that well when they do get an open look.